Is this the worst start in history?

I think this is manageable - you have fish and production from the palace. Then, you research sailing and improve the fish. Then, mining and get production. Rush fisheries asap, get shipbuilding after mining and find spots to expand.

How do I do that?

On a PC, I believe it's this location: C:\Users\<user>\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Saves
On a Mac, open Finder and press Cmd+Shift+G, paste ~/Library/Application Support/Sid Meier's Civilization VI/Saves and hit Go

Then find the appropriate save file, and I believe you just copy it and paste it here.

I don't think I'll bother with this start...

I once got a glacier start WAY in Civ2, up against the north edge of the map, but not even with any attached land (not even other glacier), or even nearby ocean special resources, or the glacier space being a special resource. I have anted up (perhaps even trumped you there). However, given it was YEARS on an old computer, I don't have a screen shot of that aberration, I'm afraid. :(

Cue barbarian Caravel ...

"Harr, lookie, lookie, me hearties! An undefended port with no walls! And these jellyfish-brained scurvy dogs built it on an iceberg! Let's go an see if any loot and plunder is to be found here, maties! Raise the Jolly Roger, and broadsides north!"

Pretty sure I seen a worse start in the funny screenshots thread or some other thread. But this is pretty poor. The 2 fish is what makes it not the worst start imho. I seen one screenshot that didn't even have sea resources.

I play with the Got Lakes mod and it produces great maps in general but occasionally there are extremities... One recently had nothing but plain snow and water; no hills, no features, no resources within 10 tiles of the starting location. It wasn't stuck but not sure which is better... When I found a decent patch of land there was Sumeria with 3 flourishing cities...

But for the regular map generator this is pretty bad :)

Last edited:
The real badness of this map is that for normal snow starts you can start wandering and after 5 turns or so you'll be on a normal land so you only lose ~5 turns. Basically similar to the situation when you play Maori(except for those Maori bonuses)

However on this map you are blocked by mountains and cannot do that.

There is a juicy +3 campus spot so maybe not that bad.

Anyway if this is standard-sized Deity I'd like to have a try.

Last edited:
Its decently bad. I had snow starts, like the one I shared on funny screenshots with the dutch, however I wasn't cut off from mainland and the dutch love rivers... to conquer Indonesia in dark age and dominate world seas... It seems you have some company there and it will take a while to get anywhere for you.
A bad start might make for a fun game. Not on deity though

I think someone posted a screenshot a while ago where they were surrounded by mountains on all sides. I'd say that one would be worse since you can't even expand until you get military engineers and chemistry

Top Bottom