Issue with Espionage system on Vox Populi

It is a tough thing to balance because either spies are impactful or they are nerfed to irrelevance. Making spies more impactful also made them more infuriating if you are on the receiving end. I share ridjack's opinion that the old system "was simple, a bit boring, but impactful and, most importantly, it did its job". I never did get the need to overhaul the spy system so drastically in the first place.

Maybe the nay sayers would become yay sayers if they knew what sql files and code lines to adjust.
Or maybe even put adjustments in Advanced Setup.
Or maybe a post as to how to use & what to expect.

I'm still learning the mechanic and find it attractive with potential.

"Tactical" missions like disrupt production, poison well and damage walls should be changed to have a very short preparation time (instant or 1 turn) AND a long cooldown (scaling with security level plus a constant) where the spy is stuck in the city doing nothing and the mission is disabled for everyone else. It also slightly incentivizes capturing the city to "free" your spy early.

You still can't reliably prevent spy actions, but at least you can be sure you won't be hit for a certain number of turns. I think this is possible with current code?

Just wanted to come back and comment that the new Espionage System is a vast improvement. Taking or having taken away GPT or Research Points by spies works far better in practice and all the issues I described in my original post have disappeared.

Top Bottom