Its Boring

You're trying to build a wonder while under assault by barbs. You might to build a couple of slingers/warriors to defend yourself. Just hold out for the policy card for +5 damage boast against barbs.

Also, just kill the scout before he runs back to base when he scouts your base.

Simple solution, under advanced settings, turn barbarians off.

If you don't want to play because the game frustrates you, then that is a valid reason. It is a game and should be fun. But as others have mentioned, there are ways to deal with the barbarians, and you could learn them. Or if you don't want to, you can just turn them off.

Here is why I stopped playing, I think. What fun is this?
Looks like fun to me. What fun is success if you can't fail?

The problem is not that barbarians rush you, the problem is that they don't do so consistently, and depending on your response to that, a player might develop a sense of entitlement of not being swarmed early, or develop a sense of frustration when their initial preparations were for nothing.

I've had some games where I've quit them because the barbs rushed me too much early on. You know what, they were actually kind of fun. I call them a loss, and move on.

I did discover some things: the barbs cannot capture your cities. So you can't lose because of barbs. And I don't know why you would decide to buy 1-2 tiles to build a wonder that you probably will be beaten out for, after having built a builder which you basically can't use because you've been overrun with barbarians. As mentioned, build some slingers instead and kill the barbarians.

I will say that when they come at you with horsemen, that's not fair. They really need to nerf the barbarian horsemen, since if they come at you with a few horses early, even a bunch of slingers can't really protect you from that. But the warriors above? Honestly, even just one slinger and your warrior is enough to at least fight off the guys they have there.

So I played Civ VI when it first came out... then stopped... and I forgot why, so I tried it out again tonight.

I fully understand you. I feel the same. I am a builder and want to build my empire, not having to fight endless meaningless fights against meaningless barbarians before and whie I can finally start building. Yes, I could turn them off. But there are politics etc. desgined for them, just like for religion and city states. If I turn everything off in this game that I dislike there is not much left to do except building units that I will never use because the AI does not dow me from mid-game on and I cannot take cities without ruining my reputation with everyone.

So I played Civ VI when it first came out... then stopped... and I forgot why, so I tried it out again tonight.

View attachment 465244

Once again, I see some posters give you that same old "the game is fine.... You just need to adjust" response.

This is not fine. The setting of barb activities is somewhat silly imho. Unlike the previous versions, there is no grace period, there is no transition from animals that don't get into the city border so players have time to build enough defense. At emperor and above, if one want to play a bit safe one has to keep pumping out military units. It forces players to play the same style, and even then it's a matter of pure luck as the spawn rate is ridiculously high.

I once got a perfect start location and even popped a relic.....but then started getting rushed by 3 and then 6 horsed units within 30 turns. Once the barb scout starts the alarm clock mode there's not much one can do. I wonder where the barbs get the techs to build horsemen and horsed archers at 3000 BC. Were they visited by the aliens or what?

Also unlike previous versions, the game setting only allows two levels of barb activities: yes or no, instead of no barb, normal and raging. Unfortunately, in half of the games I feel like dealing with raging barbs. I don't like totally taking out the barbs but there is no middle ground.

The most ridiculous thing is, at higher difficulty the AI civs also can't handle the barbs especially the horsed barbs. In many early conquests my biggest challenge actually came from the alarmed barb camps near the cities I tried to invade.

Last edited:
The need to lower barbs early on, then ramp them up later on. I love how much of a threat they are, though it is often too early and a bit RNGy - many games are not as big a threat as in that picture, but you got screwed. Each game is the same with regards to barbs - you have to build just units straight away, then you get to a critical mass and the barbs don't matter anymore. I'd love to see Barb encampments once construction is discovered to be fortified, for instance, along with pumped out more units; would be nice for them to be able to turn into city states, too. Once you've pretty much got the map down they barely spawn in enough numbers to be a threat, would be great if they stayed a threat until at least the medieval period.

There are tons of reasons to stop playing but barbarians... seriously? That's probably the only thing that poses a threat and makes the game a bit entertaining.

Soo... The only challenge that this game is capable of producing (if and only if you completely ignore it and do nothing, otherwise just a fun / annoying little bump) made you quit? That is... enlightening. And people still have the energy to be surprised by lack of AI in that game.

I like the barbarians.

But what needs to go is the thing where city-states can have barbarians constantly spawning on them because their amenity level has been screwed.

I like the barbarians.

But what needs to go is the thing where city-states can have barbarians constantly spawning on them because their amenity level has been screwed.

you can fix that with SQL modding, from Quo's Combined Tweaks:

-- Lower the chances of a rebellion for cities low on happy
UPDATE GlobalParameters SET Value='0.2' WHERE Name='REBELLION_CHANCE_PER_POINT' ;

Soo... The only challenge that this game is capable of producing (if and only if you completely ignore it and do nothing, otherwise just a fun / annoying little bump) made you quit? That is... enlightening. And people still have the energy to be surprised by lack of AI in that game.

What setting you play? It seems to me you're claiming that as long as one doesn't completely ignore, say give 50% effort, barbs will not be a problem at all. I wonder how you can so easily handle two barb scouts finding your capitals within 15-20 turns (which is quite common), and a barb camp pops 8 tiles away in a stretch of hills (also not uncommon) starts spawning horsed units in trio within 30-40 turns. I found that even 2 archers plus one scout can't get close to it, not to mention a lot of time a player only has a warrior plus 2 or 3 slingers at most within such a short time, and I don't even mention some units have likely been sent to other directions for scouting.......Maybe you can enlighten me and somebody like me?

Last edited:
  1. A non-realistic art style does not mean it was meant for children.
  2. The detail within the art presented is very high. The models appear detailed, and the textures likewise.
  3. Art that appears "cartoonish" doesn't mean it was any cheaper to make.
  4. This is not the first Civilisation game to have non-realistic aesthetics.
  5. A non-realistic art style does not mean it was meant for children.

Children like cartoons, it is common knowledge. Civ 6 attempts to target those kids. And it's a good thing kids are encouraged to explore more complex games like civ.

Again, nothing revolutionary here for me. Detail is unimpressive. Guess I played too many contemporary titles, simple cartoon doesn't ignite interest anymore.

Bad luck. Once my capital was surrounded by barb horseman in turn 15. Nearby city states are helpful, free envoys and less barb

Once again, I see some posters give you that same old "the game is fine.... You just need to adjust" response.
Yes, that tends to happen when people ignore the game going on around them.

Are there problems with the barbarian implementation? Yes. Is the fact they attack you one of them? No.

Unlike the previous versions, there is no grace period, there is no transition from animals that don't get into the city border so players have time to build enough defense.
And you don't need one, since you do have enough time to build a defense for the displayed attack. And even if you didn't have enough defense, you earn enough gold to simply buy a defense; you'll be interrupted a couple turns, but have no trouble fending it off.

And even if you spent all your gold, the displayed attack is not fatal, and could be repelled by building a slinger. (or archer!)

There are problems with the grace period approach, since it makes barbarian management a matter of gaming the system rather than building adequate defenses.

At emperor and above, if one want to play a bit safe one has to keep pumping out military units. It forces players to play the same style, and even then it's a matter of pure luck as the spawn rate is ridiculously high.
(ignoring the gotm) I only played at deity, and never got that feeling.

I once got a perfect start location and even popped a relic.....but then started getting rushed by 3 and then 6 horsed units within 30 turns. Once the barb scout starts the alarm clock mode there's not much one can do.
This is a problem, but not the problem displayed in the OP.

Top Bottom