Its time i told the world of your sins.....

You can warmonger just like the U.S. They have not taken any cities, just pillaged and destroyed the military. Civ loves that approach.

Plus, in real life the US is good at getting other countries to join them in their wars - which helps to reduce diplomatic backlash. The exact same thing applies to Civ as well.

Seriously, this does help - particularly after the most recent patch as your warmonger penalty will be halved with Civs who are at war with the same enemy as you. Try bribing other Civs to attack the Civ that you want to attack if you can afford to do so.

Also, denouncing a Civ before you attack them will reduce the initial warmonger penalty somewhat - sneak attacks without warning are frowned upon. Also, it's really not a good idea to declare on somebody who you have a Declaration of Friendship with.

Some other factors that help lessen diplomatic penalties are having a shared Religion or Ideology or having a Declaration of Friendship. And if you liberate a City State or another Civ's city that had previously been taken by your enemy you can wipe out a LOT of the warmonger penalty.

Lastly, the AI has four levels of warmonger hate and different Civs will have different tolerance levels to warmongering. The Huns will tend to 'overlook modest warmongering' for instance, so you will be able to get away with a lot where they are concerned but India will hate even modest warmongering and will grow to dislike you very quickly when you go to war.

Just some tips that I hope will help you to 'stack the deck in your favour' when pursuing a military campaign.

We probably use the term "genocide" a bit too loosely here. Conquest is NOT genocide. Genocide is the elimination of an ethnicity; not the elimination of a sovereign. You cannot commit genocide because capitals in this game cannot be razed.

Check out the victory conditions and understand what you need to do to achieve them. I'm not saying that war isn't helpful - it is. But it's not at all necessary to conquer all your rivals, and attempting to do so may be detrimental.

I think what he means is that, even if there's no actual wars with units fighting and taking cities, there is still some sort of cultural, scientific or diplomatic 'conquest' going on. You're trying to triumph over your foes after all, even if that only means bribing their city state allies, or proposing a world religion.

Blinky, have you ever tried to stick with a small empire?
It's not like you absolutely HAVE to expand your borders across the entire continent to win the game. Maybe you should try playing as Venice, if you have BNW.

Also, to emphasize, you only have to take your opponents' capitals to win domination, not completely destroy them (which is a much bigger hit to diplomacy).

yeah I am currently trying to repair all the relationships in this game so people will like me more, but since siam and England have declared war on me. me and the siam are on the same continent so it is really only us fighting each other. the English haven't sent one unit over to attack me so I am still trying to figure out what pissed them off. the thing is the englsih didn't even know ghandi before I started attackin him. the siam did so I guess I can understand their anger, but we were better friends than him and indial. now the other civilizations i.e. Greece and Mongolia are going hostile to me. and Songhai, china, and Egypt are guarded towards me even though I just met them. the only civilization friendly towards me is Montezuma. I just don't understand why war is taken so seriously if me and india were not friends why does the rest of the world really care that I took them out. it seems to be pretty historically accurate that civilizations went to war all the time especially back in the day between 1000 ad and 1900 ad.

anyways I am going to wiped everyone out that isn't the Aztec, and maybe I will try one of this wussy ways to win in the next game. thanks for all the advice, even the sarcastic .

blinky

Also, to emphasize, you only have to take your opponents' capitals to win domination, not completely destroy them (which is a much bigger hit to diplomacy).

...but to be fair, in BNW if you take out the capital of somebody who doesn't have many cities you aren't going to be making many friends. Also, if you want to severely weaken an AI to the point that they're no longer a threat, you will most likely have to capture more than their capital.

It's not clear if the OP has BNW or just G&K, but G&K was great for allowing you to conquer your way across the map with nary a diplomatic penalty in sight (provided you let them do the DOWing). In BNW, you have to be a lot more careful if you want any friends to sign RAs with. Liberating cities and going to war with people who your friends are also at war with are some of the best ways.

Well, you can go out and conquer pretty much everyone, but watch out for Gandhi. He likes nukes. A lot.

well ghandi is no more, and the siam are wiped out except for their capital which I have let them keep for 10 turns because they offered me a lot to make peace. my question is if I declare war immediately after these 10 turns are up, which I will do, is it going to make the other civs really hate me or will it not be that big of a deal.

also I have been trying to repair relationships with these other civs, but nothing seems to work, I have been trying to trade with them for gold or lux or really anything but they don't want to have anything to do with me. any tips on doing this would be great.

so if you don't want to have a wide empire, what do you do with all of the cities you take over, just raze them all?

by the way I am on vanilla CIV with no mods or expanisions whatsoever.

blinky

To OP : You can still conquer without taking warmongering penalty. You can do this if you warmonger like US (IRL). Destroy enemy military, pillage the crap out of them & even nuke them to some extent, but don't EVER capture a city. Force the enemy to surrender their cities to you. Cities taken in a peace deal don't count towards warmongering score.

We probably use the term "genocide" a bit too loosely here. Conquest is NOT genocide. Genocide is the elimination of an ethnicity; not the elimination of a sovereign. You cannot commit genocide because capitals in this game cannot be razed.

unless you play OCC

Top Bottom