I've had enough of Firaxis, 2k Games and Steam...

The fact that the game needs third-party software to work, makes it a lot harder to solve errors manually. This is the reason why I never, ever, would install any anti-virus software, because they interfere more than they help.

Maybe in some cases but by with he intro video. People on other forums that have this problem just removed the video and are playing the demo just fine.

Alright, so I installed that virus know as "Steam", that seems to take complete control over your games, just to be able to try the demo.

Steam installs it, then the game crashes during the opening video. And I'm far from alone. A new game should never make your computer crash. It should tell you "Error with GPU, please update your drivers" or something like that. Steam is supposed to make things easier, but as usual, when things don't work, it's impossible to fix issue when you depend on a third-party software. I've never had a problem with starting a Firaxis game before.

There is no way that I'll buy this game, even if they find a solution to these issues. This is simple not acceptable. Thank god that I didn't pre-order the game.

Can you be any more petulant?

Alright, so I installed that virus know as "Steam", that seems to take complete control over your games, just to be able to try the demo.

Steam installs it, then the game crashes during the opening video. And I'm far from alone. A new game should never make your computer crash. It should tell you "Error with GPU, please update your drivers" or something like that. Steam is supposed to make things easier, but as usual, when things don't work, it's impossible to fix issue when you depend on a third-party software. I've never had a problem with starting a Firaxis game before.

There is no way that I'll buy this game, even if they find a solution to these issues. This is simple not acceptable. Thank god that I didn't pre-order the game.

1) I don't see how this problem is related to Steam in any way, shape or form. If Civilization V was on disk, you would likely have the same problem, because it sounds like a configuration issue. I'm not saying Steam is perfect(It does have quite a few downsides, though in my opinion the benefits outweigh them) but contributing every single problem you have to Steam is just sheer ignorance.

2) All games will have problems on release. All of them. I have not yet seen a perfectly debugged game on release, because as hard as the QA people work there will always been some bugs that get past them.

3) Why is solving the issues with the game unacceptable? Do you not want them to fix the problems? Seems rather counterintuitive to expect games to not be bugged if you don't want them fixing bugs.

Moderator Action: Moved to technical subforum.

Computer specs please, and please update your graphics card driver and the DirectX installation.

And:Moderator Action: Reminder, swearing and triggering the autocensor is a punishable violation of the forum rules.

As always, just wait a year until the game is fixed and the extensions are out and you`ll save a bunch of $$ and nerves. I bought CIV IV only after BTS came out and will do the same with Civ V. Still enjoy IV and already something to look forward to. Also if they don`t remove Steam I`m not gonna buy it. Might have to switch to something else then.

I had a fresh install two weeks ago, all drivers are up to date and my system is above the minimum requirements. People on the 2k boards have the same issues even with really powerful systems. It's pretty obvious that the game is rather unstable, which I expected already when I watched the online stream (even though that was an internal build).

Also, I've been playing games since 1991 never had a crash at initial startup... until today that is.

Fair enough. I think alot of people are used to console games were you put the dvd in and it works 100% of the time. Computer rigs are so different in such different conditions with some healthy and some not. It's not fair to blame Steam and 2k and Firaxis for not being able to accommodate 100% of players from day 0.

A guy at the 2k forums said that he had accented characters in the "My Documents" path... When he changed the path, the demo worked. This kind of error was rather common ...20 years ago.

I'll try that myself, since I have the letter "Ö" in my path. But it's still unacceptable.

EDIT: Alright, now I can play the game. Good work Firaxis, managing to make paths case sensitive for the first time in 15 years.

HAM-
How do I go back and install from the disk? Geek Squad and Take 2 tell me there is no install program for Civ 5 on the CD. Only install files for steam. Why would they sell a game on CD with no install files for the game.

Correction: new games do crash computers due to the fact that everybody wants to have better and more spectacular graphics and the gfx drivers... well... crash. Ati always releases some path afterwards but that is acceptable among pc gamers. Computers do... crash :)

I now see why civ had attach itself to steam - so they can release unfinished, untested software, and when it doesn't work, firaxis can say "it's a steam issue, take it there," and steam can say "it's a firaxis issue, take it there."
Neither one is getting my money, so they can bicker all the way to bankruptcy for all I care.

I fail to see how crashes in civ 5 are any way steam related.. They aren't.. It's a firaxis/2kgames issue period..

I thought I was buying Civilization 5 as a stand alone. I am very disappointed by Steam's involvement. I am 59 years old, and I have been a PC Gamer since Starflight. Frankly, I think the Steam involvement is just a profit center for Firaxis and provides no value to the end user!

I thought I was buying Civilization 5 as a stand alone. I am very disappointed by Steam's involvement. I am 59 years old, and I have been a PC Gamer since Starflight. Frankly, I think the Steam involvement is just a profit center for Firaxis and provides no value to the end user!

I feel much the same way. I intentionally bought the DVD copy of the game so that I wouldn't have to mess around with Steam, only to find out at installation that I needed to set up a Steam account. If I had known this ahead of time I would've just downloaded it from Steam in the first place and received the bonus civ.

I've never seen a PC Game released that didn't have crash bugs on some systems. It's impossible for them to test every scenario, and so there are going to be people who have major errors. It happens with every PC game, because unlike consoles no two machines are alike.

It's just something PC gamers have to deal with.

I still haven't heard anyone explain specifically what steam actually does...besides get in the way. I mean what positive addition does it provide that not only involves but necessitates its involvement? What does steam bring to the table that makes this a better experience/product than say civ 4, which required no third party crap to operate?
Don't just tell me the same old "steam is awesome"...what does it actually DO? What, specifically, is it FOR?

Steam is the authorization system that 2K chose. Firaxis probably agreed. They did not complain anyway. Once authorized, your software is always up on Steam to be downloaded again should your hard disk bite the dust.

Steam automatically updates your game. You can download mods from Steam and it will install them for you. Things for multiplayer, but I don't so ask someone else.

When idle, Steam just sits there taking up about 27k of your memory and not doing anything unless you launch a game that is Steam powered. I have it set not to start with Windows. So if I am playing a non steam game it is usually not there at all.

To play offline, look up "steam offline mode" on Google. Very simple.

Steam is much like any other digital distribution service, Impulse, D2D, GoG, etc. And notably, it is much like the Blizzard BattleNet authorization service for WoW and StarCraft 2. It is absurd to call it a virus. You can right click on it in the tray when you are not in game and exit from it at any time.

BTW, a new iteration of GoG is coming; probably up later this week.

OK, I understand your explanation, but I don't see any part of that that makes the experience/product better for me in any way.
With civ 4 and other non-steam games, I could still download updates, I could still reinstall my games if my hard drive crashed, and frankly I couldn't care less about multiplayer.
Since there's no practical benefit to steam, then I have to seriously question why it's mandatory? I have to assume it's mandatory spyware, at minimum.

anybody had issues with the game crashing on the load screen for the single player? Its odd i can play a game with the play now option. But when I go to customize it the game crashes during the civ's loading screen. Anybody know a fix, or cause?

Top Bottom