January 2024 Challenge Robot Revolution DISCUSSION THREAD

Eagle Pursuit

Per Scribendum, Volo

Prince or Emperor difficulty
Gathering Storm ruleset (free trial if not owned)
Custom mode with wandering GDRs
Start in the Info Era
Tilted Axis map
Play as Canada

GDac9AGakAALYtJ.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't even take that long for a fictional/sci-fi challenge.
I wonder If they could pull off something more fantasy, given that they probably depend mostly on existing resources/assets. Would probably rely on Secret Societies a lot.

Didn't even take that long for a fictional/sci-fi challenge.
I wonder If they could pull off something more fantasy, given that they probably depend mostly on existing resources/assets. Would probably rely on Secret Societies a lot.
I think it's very interesting that they created a custom mode for this. It's almost a scenario

I think it's very interesting that they created a custom mode for this. It's almost a scenario
Indeed, I quite expect these to replace Scenarios for Civ 7

What do you think would be the best way to win? Since there is no religion, which pantheon, Northern Tundra or the inspired great person points one?

I thought my mods weren't working, but they actually are working. I'm blind.

And yeah a rough start with those GDR's floating around. Still trying to figure out the best strat here.

edit: yeah getting encampments up ASAP is definitely the right move. Although I still ended up with a loss. I was 90 points behind the leader. I created a fair amount of cities, but the AI must have built more cities. I'm not sure. I'm not sure how to win this one. Australia won my game. Yeah HOF screen shows him with 7 cities and me with 5 cities. I'm not sure how to do this without save scumming so you don't lose your settlers.

Last edited:
And ... Firaxis and 2K continue to give a giant middle finger to those of us who got the game from Epic or other sources.

Finally got this thing. A lot of RNG in this game. Too much for my liking. It's amazing how differently 2 different games can go.

Some mistakes I made on my first game were building military units (takes too long) and not expanding fast enough. The city defenses are far more useful than any unit that can be 1 shotted by a GDR.

As mentioned so much depends on RNG in terms of where barbarian camps spawn, and which direction the GDR's move. And it's important to take note where they go into the fog of war so you don't lose settlers (I lost some builders, but that's no big deal). Expansion is the key. I don't know why the intro mentions turtling, that's just a fast way to lose the game. In the end I got Ottowa up to size 18. My first game I wasn't able to expand down South, but I was able to do so my 2nd game. Settling next to the Paine natural wonder is of course nice.

My first game I didn't even discover any other civs, my second game I discovered America and Australia.

I will say if the AI knew how to use GDR's, the human player would be toast. They could have easily took out my city defenses and melee attacked my cities to take them.

Last edited:
I thought my mods weren't working, but they actually are working. I'm blind.

And yeah a rough start with those GDR's floating around. Still trying to figure out the best strat here.

edit: yeah getting encampments up ASAP is definitely the right move. Although I still ended up with a loss. I was 90 points behind the leader. I created a fair amount of cities, but the AI must have built more cities. I'm not sure. I'm not sure how to win this one. Australia won my game. Yeah HOF screen shows him with 7 cities and me with 5 cities. I'm not sure how to do this without save scumming so you don't lose your settlers.
That’s a really impressive performance out of Australia! They weren’t nearly as effective in my game, finishing with only 3 cities.

Era score can be a huge driver for score as well. There’s several good sources… railroads, canals, tunnels, space, power, green energy, strategic resource use, flight, artifacts, national parks, settling near natural wonders, etc. I think these really pushed my score at the end. I think the space launch and national parks are probably the best sources.

Era score can be a huge driver for score as well. There’s several good sources… railroads, canals, tunnels, space, power, green energy, strategic resource use, flight, artifacts, national parks, settling near natural wonders, etc. I think these really pushed my score at the end. I think the space launch and national parks are probably the best sources.

I wasn't aware era score affected score. Interesting. I could have built more mounties. I did end up building (or I think I bought it) a mountie near the end and made 1 natural park. Otherwise I just put lots of farms and fishing boats.

Played it one more time. Funny seeing a biplane take out a GDR. I wanted to try that out and actually utilize that starting aerodrome for something. Still best to expand first though since the GDR's will wreck that aerodrome.

It seems Bolivar is in the game, and Korea.

Last edited:
And ... Firaxis and 2K continue to give a giant middle finger to those of us who got the game from Epic or other sources.
Indeed...nothing on Nintendo Switch so far!

For the love of god let us choose the difficulty of our liking...
Still haven't played a single challenge because of the constant low difficulty.
I get that they want more people to play it, but how hard can it be to just allow the player to freely choose difficulty?

I really like this challenge!

For those of us who play Zombies mode this is piss easy 😄

That's a hint BTW.
(Barb GDRs are basically smart zombies in the last era).

Once I have completed it I will post some strategy tips for easy win on Emperor(?).

Tilted Axis map
It's not Tilted Axis.

I know, cos I fixed it: Tilted Axis (Fixed)

EDIT: It's a variation of Tilted Axis. Icy...but still broken, cos you will see a rhomboid ice shelf! 😆
20240110232330_1.jpg

Last edited:
I won the scenario this morning. I only built one Mountie for the era score and two biplanes. Build canals if you can. Since I was able to build the spaceport in one turn, I was able to get the satellite launched and met the other civs. I had a score of over 500 at the end. My first monthly scenario win. It was quick and fun.

I won the scenario this morning. I only built one Mountie for the era score and two biplanes. Build canals if you can. Since I was able to build the spaceport in one turn, I was able to get the satellite launched and met the other civs. I had a score of over 500 at the end. My first monthly scenario win. It was quick and fun.

TBH it's too easy.

Not really a "challenge".

You don't need to launch a satellite to meet other civs.
You can send an embarked worker (with the last charge left) to meet immediate neighbours to east and west, for trade. The GDRs can't kill them.

Get +food from trading with Democracy, which seems aligned with Canada's traits.

For the love of god let us choose the difficulty of our liking...
Still haven't played a single challenge because of the constant low difficulty.
I get that they want more people to play it, but how hard can it be to just allow the player to freely choose difficulty?
Probably harder than you'd think. These are all pre-made games. They're basically just fancy save files.

I found it easier to just build cities like crazy. It gives you by far the greatest score per turn it takes to make them. At the end, I had 690 points with 12 cities. Pretty much only built settlers, builders and districts.
Defended my units using only city defense because I built them fairly close together and most of them had an encampment.

This game seems to be buggy. I'm on turn 82, winning comfortably, and have an archaeologist. He has dug up two artefacts and I haveroom for four more in archaeological museums. I move onto an antiquity site (in unoccupied territory) and dig up the artefact. It tells me, as usual, to select the artefact. But then it won't give me the selection screen, and the game is utterly stuck and can't move on. Save file herewith. Any explanations welcome.

Attachments

• WILFRID LAURIER 83 2001 AD.Civ6Save
    771.1 KB · Views: 22
I found a bit of a hack for this. You can buy rock bands and naturalists to explore or block the GDRs from pillaging tiles. When they get attacked they just move back to one of your cities to be re-used

Top Bottom