Japanese history quiz!

Knight-Dragon

Unhidden Dragon
Retired Moderator
Ten questions. No cheating. Here goes : -

1) Name the largest city in Tokugawa Japan.
2) Name the original aboriginal inhabitants of Japan.
3) The city-design for the old imperial capital Kyoto was based on which city of which era?
4) Name the 2 territories which fell under Japanese control after the Sino-Japanese War of 1895.
5) What is the traditional Japanese sword called (the long one typically used by samurai)?
6) Who founded Edo?
7) What was the capital of Japan before Kyoto?
8) The literature work, "The Tale of the Genji", relates the conflict between which two families/clans?
9) Name the title of a regional lord i.e. lord of a prefectural-sized land.
10) Name the puppet state set up by the Japanese in Manchuria.

1) Edo
2) Ainu (in Hokkaidou)
3) Chang'an (present day Xi'an) in China during the Tang dynasty era.
4) Taiwan (and Korea ?)
5) Katana
6)Tokugawa Ieyasu developped the backwater that had to become Edo by creating a shogunate there.
7) Nara
8) ? (I am not interested enough in Japanese litterature)
9) daimyou
10) mmh, I am affraid I have a blank...

Ah .... you got all correct except 8 and 10 which you left out. That's a fast one.

One thing - those two historical families for question 8 were actual participants in a civil war; which provided the backdrop to that literature work. I am not talking about some fictional characters. ;)

Originally posted by SKM
Ten questions. No cheating. Here goes : -

1) Name the largest city in Tokugawa Japan.
2) Name the original aboriginal inhabitants of Japan.
3) The city-design for the old imperial capital Kyoto was based on which city of which era?
4) Name the 2 territories which fell under Japanese control after the Sino-Japanese War of 1895.
5) What is the traditional Japanese sword called (the long one typically used by samurai)?
6) Who founded Edo?
7) What was the capital of Japan before Kyoto?
8) The literature work, "The Tale of the Genji", relates the conflict between which two families/clans?
9) Name the title of a regional lord i.e. lord of a prefectural-sized land.
10) Name the puppet state set up by the Japanese in Manchuria.

I might be able to get some of these...
1. Edo...or was it Nagoya? Nah, I'll go with Edo.
2. The Ainu
3. No idea...
4. Korea and Formosa (Taiwan)
5. Katana
6. No idea...
7. Nara
8. Ack! I'm forgetting...and I read it a year ago...umm....the Taira and Minamoto?
9. Daimyo
10. Manchuko

After checking Julien's answers, I knew I should've trusted the "When in doubt, guess Tokugawa Iyeyasu" rule for #6. ;)

You got nos 8 and 10 correct as well. ;)

Alright, let's turn this into a cumulative quiz. Winner gets to ask next question. 1st question : -

What requirements did the Tokugawa Shogunate set on the daimyos as a measure to control them i.e. preventing rebellions etc?

Their families had to stay in Edo as virtual hostages, and the daimyos had to visit the emperor every year or so in Edo.

Both correct; specifically the daimyos had to spend half of each year with the Shogunate central govt in Edo.
Next question on you, Julien.

Top Bottom