• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

JFD and Janboruta's Civilisations

JFD, sorry about the spam, bot if you intend to develop a new portuguese leader, I would like to help giving my personal historic considerations as a portuguese who studies the history of Portugal...

Maria I is not by far a good leader IMO. Even Maria II would be better. But following the design of your team, she would be present. Perhaps something related to faith or academies or even Port wine would be interesting...

Henry the Navigator is usually pointed out, but he was never a leader. Making a cheesy comparison, it would be like having B. Franklin as a leader for America... and we have never seen it. He would be a bad choice, I think.

John II would be the best choice for a civ focused on synergy between exploration and science. He actually developed a policy for expansion and cartographic development which is remarkable, either in arabian lands or in Africa. He actually helped a lot changing the traditional ptolomean cartography. And he is considered by most of the historians as the "best" portugeuse king ever.

Manuel I is a good choice also. Specially for keeping the commerce focused portugal. The portuguese empire in early 1500s was based on control of sea trade rotes between east and west Indian ocean. John II led to the portuguese "golden age", and Manuel I used it. But Manuel I never developed a fully expansion oriented policy. And even the commercial policy revealed unsafe by the end of his reign, ultimately leading to the loss of soveranity and economical power in mid/late 1500s

On a personal note, John II would be the best option for a portuguese civilization, and good with Science+discovery focus. He even fits a commercial strategy as he developed most of the comerce in the late 1400s in African coast (which had naus and important feitorias) and signed several pacts for mare claustrum. Manuel I is a logical choice although, for keeping the gold focused current civ, and he has never been present (and there is already art). Maria I is something difficult but she fits your design choices as she is already present in the game. But she is way ahead of time for feitorias or naus or even for a mare claustrum so...

I know that you may not develop such a thing in a while, but if you decide to work the portuguese civ, here are some considerations you might see as interesting. Thank you for your time :)

Well, superwaffle is the minister of propaganda...
Also, what about the mad baron?

If you develop Manuel I would you also use Maria I right? She is one of the worst leaders given historically performance IMO but would give some interesting Port/Duoro/18th century Portugal.

Manuel I is the best choice for Portugal given that his political/economic/expansionist actions are the ones given to maria (naus, fetorias, gold from trade), specially when talking about the viceroyalty of india in the early 1500s. Although he was not that of a king in my personal judgement. João II was, as stated by many, perhaps the best portuguese leader ever. And also had Naus and Feitorias. and the mare claustrum is something he worked up.

But I undertsand the wonder of Manuel I, besides the fact that his policies ultimately led to the desintegrtion of the empire and of the so called portuguese golden age.

Sorry about the history lesson. Just remembering last semester's studies in History of Portuguese Expansion where I developed like 1000 ideas for civ for each portuguese king to bring down Maria's reign. :mischief:

JFD, sorry about the spam, bot if you intend to develop a new portuguese leader, I would like to help giving my personal historic considerations as a portuguese who studies the history of Portugal...

Maria I is not by far a good leader IMO. Even Maria II would be better. But following the design of your team, she would be present. Perhaps something related to faith or academies or even Port wine would be interesting...

Henry the Navigator is usually pointed out, but he was never a leader. Making a cheesy comparison, it would be like having B. Franklin as a leader for America... and we have never seen it. He would be a bad choice, I think.

John II would be the best choice for a civ focused on synergy between exploration and science. He actually developed a policy for expansion and cartographic development which is remarkable, either in arabian lands or in Africa. He actually helped a lot changing the traditional ptolomean cartography. And he is considered by most of the historians as the "best" portugeuse king ever.

Manuel I is a good choice also. Specially for keeping the commerce focused portugal. The portuguese empire in early 1500s was based on control of sea trade rotes between east and west Indian ocean. John II led to the portuguese "golden age", and Manuel I used it. But Manuel I never developed a fully expansion oriented policy. And even the commercial policy revealed unsafe by the end of his reign, ultimately leading to the loss of soveranity and economical power in mid/late 1500s

On a personal note, John II would be the best option for a portuguese civilization, and good with Science+discovery focus. He even fits a commercial strategy as he developed most of the comerce in the late 1400s in African coast (which had naus and important feitorias) and signed several pacts for mare claustrum. Manuel I is a logical choice although, for keeping the gold focused current civ, and he has never been present (and there is already art). Maria I is something difficult but she fits your design choices as she is already present in the game. But she is way ahead of time for feitorias or naus or even for a mare claustrum so...

I know that you may not develop such a thing in a while, but if you decide to work the portuguese civ, here are some considerations you might see as interesting. Thank you for your time :)

Not spam - it's interesting! But I don't have any current plans for a Portuguese alt, and even if I did, I'm not actively maintaining my civs atm, so it's best to leave anything not already planned alone until that's remedied (if it is). Maybe in the future (or the past). Manuel, for whom there is already some art - is the best choice functionally, though, of course, Joao is better historically. Maria would have to be retained - perhaps an adaption of her ExCE trait would be given (the being able to re-locate your Capital). Henry the Navigator may not have been ruler, but he's at least more legitimate than B. Franklin or Gandhi as ruler - Henry, at least, ruled something, even if it wasn't Portugal - though he would be a fourth choice for me over Joao (the best), Manuel I (the most practical), and Manuel II (the Nicholas II/Cixi/Pius IX).

No he isn't

You came all this way to say that? :p

Not spam - it's interesting! But I don't have any current plans for a Portuguese alt, and even if I did, I'm not actively maintaining my civs atm, so it's best to leave anything not already planned alone until that's remedied (if it is). Maybe in the future (or the past). Manuel, for whom there is already some art - is the best choice functionally, though, of course, Joao is better historically. Maria would have to be retained - perhaps an adaption of her ExCE trait would be given (the being able to re-locate your Capital). Henry the Navigator may not have been ruler, but he's at least more legitimate than B. Franklin or Gandhi as ruler - Henry, at least, ruled something, even if it wasn't Portugal - though he would be a fourth choice for me over Joao (the best), Manuel I (the most practical), and Manuel II (the Nicholas II/Cixi/Pius IX).

That's fair. If I can be of some help in the future or the past, even for somehting with spain, I will be here like always :lol:

PS: Manuel II only ruled for 2 years and was only 18 years old. Luis I is a good ption for late 19th century chronology. He also faced revolts but was able to reform the kingdom.

Question: I'm playing (with Victoria) against Roosevelt, but I also get his bonus. Is that supposed to happen?
I'm playing with a modpack with all JFD's civs which I created with MPMPM, if that helps.

Question: I'm playing (with Victoria) against Roosevelt, but I also get his bonus. Is that supposed to happen?
I'm playing with a modpack with all JFD's civs which I created with MPMPM, if that helps.

I can't account for what will happen with civs that use custom UIs in MP; my mods weren't really designed with them in mind.

That's fair. If I can be of some help in the future or the past, even for somehting with spain, I will be here like always :lol:

PS: Manuel II only ruled for 2 years and was only 18 years old. Luis I is a good ption for late 19th century chronology. He also faced revolts but was able to reform the kingdom.

Not about chronology, but to vindicate, in what way I can, what I consider an injustice upon whom I see as the last legitimate ruler of Portugal. #justmonarchistthings. So Manuel would be the preference over Luis. Luis looks like Taft in uniform anyway :p

I can't account for what will happen with civs that use custom UIs in MP; my mods weren't really designed with them in mind.
Okay, thanks for the reply :)

Although I am playing it in singleplayer when this happened, but I am using a modpack made with MPMPM. I guess it was messed-up by MPMPM? (I don't know the process behind it).

Oh, and thanks for the effort and the great civs!

As I wanted to make too Philip II (he's my favourite king of all times), I wanted to offer you my help with your Philip mod. I can make research and a Spanish translation for you.

As I wanted to make too Philip II (he's my favourite king of all times), I wanted to offer you my help with your Philip mod. I can make research and a Spanish translation for you.

Wow. That's a statement. Or a desperate attempt to become knight fi the realm... :rolleyes:
But yeah, Philip Would be great.

(I assume your most majestic, Imperial modjesty* agrees?)

*JFD, by the grace of god, Fidei defensor and holy roman emperor, king of Germany, Italy and Austria, king and head of the church of England, emperor and prime minister of Japan, king of India, Australia and new Zealand, Etc.

Well, I'm just a fanboy of Philip, and I know that JFD will make a better Civ for him than I, so at least I want to help with that mod.

And well, if I can become knight of the Realm, better for me :lol:

I like how everyone just accepted that JFD is now doing a Portugal civ despite repeated insistence that he isn't, all because of an offhand comment about map colouring :lol:

#justmonarchistthings

Lol xD I understand :)

BTW, when I was like 8 years old I learned a poem at scholl about Filipe II (not philip... we dont have any mary as maria and so on...) and he only ruled portugal for about 20 years. He had a huge empire. Personally, is a best fit for spain than Isabella. He actually had half the world. Looking forward for a filipine civ!

I like how everyone just accepted that JFD is now doing a Portugal civ despite repeated insistence that he isn't, all because of an offhand comment about map colouring :lol:
I think it's because the Empire's audience does not want to accept the notion of the JFD-Janboruta Civ-Mods Train-Ride reaching its end. Even though it seems kinda obvious JFD is starting to get a bit bored with 'gee, another civ to make' and is getting more interested in other sorts of mods.

I think it's because the Empire's audience does not want to accept the notion of the JFD-Janboruta Civ-Mods Train-Ride reaching its end. Even though it seems kinda obvious JFD is starting to get a bit bored with 'gee, another civ to make' and is getting more interested in other sorts of mods.
All great things must come to an end I guess :sad: - but hopefully not yet!
That said, I do very appreciate the shift of main focus to Piety, Prestige, ExCE, (possibly CulDiv?) and scenarios.

Top Bottom