JFD's Civilizations - Papal States (Pius IX) for Vox Populi

Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------
v7
UU: Swiss Guard (standalone) (requires 4UC)
- Fixed not being buildable.

New version, fixing Swiss Guards being not buildable.

Code:
v8
Misc
- Fixed mod conflict with new version 8/16 onwards (mod will fail to load).

UU: Swiss Guard (standalone) (requires 4UC)
- Fixed yield from garrison not working with new versions of VP.

New version, get it from Steam or Mediafire.

I tried the Papal state and i really like it but the Swiss guards are actually unable to pillage tiles at all; the extended info in the wiki entry does not have the pillage property which makes the "No cost to pillage" promo useless.

EDIT: adding pillage property to lines 495 and 496 in JFD_PapalStates_gamedefines.sql did fix it.
Spoiler :
images - 2020-10-29T060322.122.jpeg

Last edited:
I played a game with the Papal state on standard size 8 civs 16 CS communitas Epic speed, no events, no ruins, no tech trading ended at 1840 turn 410ish with a very easy culture victory without the using the to-be-nerfed Way of the pilgrim even with cultural civs in my game (Polynesia, Japan, Poland and Ethiopia).
I played the game using exact opposite of the strategy i usually use if i aim for CV; went progress > fealty > Imperialism > order with 9 cities and 7 puppets.
Going wide and playing for a CV without going full warmonger is hardly doable even with a civ like Polynesia but it felt really easy with the papal states.
The Swiss guards provide an excellent defensive unit in the early game, the Chapels are ridiculously strong even with the modified theming bonuses and the disciples IMO are over the top ...... The Vatican museums is kind of underwhelming imo but it does not really matter when you have disciples and chapels.
I definitely love it but i think it could use a small nerf somewhere because it totally eclipses even the strongest cultural civs.

I agree the Papal States is overpowered and needs a nerf.

50% extra tourism based on shared religion is too much, particularly since it can synergies so easily with Fealty. Pushing it back and weakening it makes sense.

I also think the disciples generating Great Works is not a good design.

So alternative pitch.

Apostolic See - Starts with a free shrine with new stages appearing automatically at religion milestones. Historic events generate faith. Birth of Great Prophets generates cultural GPP points.

The shrine stages, the UB which is granted for free.

(Settlement) Household shrine - 2 faith. Prevents construction of normal shrine.

(Pantheon) The Temple of Vesta - 2 Faith, 2 Art/Artifact slots, One filled with the Palladium. If slots filled, gain 3 faith and 3 Golden age points

(Founding) (Old) St. Peter's Basilica. 2 Faith. Spawns 2 free missionaries, and 25% extra strength. Two Great music slots, If slots filled, 3 Faith and 3 Culture. Gains (Old) title on Reformation.

(Enhancing) Lateran Palace. 2 Faith. Gain 1 Culture and 1 Gold for every city following. 2 Great Writing slots. If slots filled, gain 3 Faith and 3 Tourism

(Reformation). St. Peter's Basilica. 2 Faith. 1 Free Great Prophet. 1 Tourism for each Great Work. 25% extra tourism to shared religion.

This spreads out their UA and focused it more on being a tall civ. The papal state will get plenty of faith, though not as fast to a pantheon as India, and possibly Aztecs and Celts. But they ramp up over time as they work through Tradition. They get an immediate leap off on founding, with 2 free missionaries.

UU - Bishopric. Replaces Emissary, and never obsoletes. Has special action where it can establish a Bishopric on a city-state with a shared religion, increases pressure, making it harder to convert to other faith, and locked influence floor at Friend. Can also conduct normal diplomatic mission. Can be purchased with faith.

3rd and 4th UC

UU - Swiss Guard, fine as is.

UW - Vatican Museums. Seems fine as is.

Making it so that they can only settle puppets would be easy to add, and makes sense.

I replaced the mod with the new version in my magnus modpack but seems swissguards are still not buildable for me. They are available in the mod editor, but they don't appear in my capital unit production options :((

Just to let people know: this and other modmods from HungryForFood that add civs (Prussia, Pius IX, Queen Victoria ecc) no longer work with new version of VP.
The mod is loaded in VP but you cannot choose the civ because it doesn't show up, neither are the entries in Civilopedia
Also: this was the only mod from Hungry that loaded correctly 4UC: others weren't able even forcing in the .modinfo dependencies the 3th and 4th UC.
Pity because Pius IX was really funny to play

Just to let people know: this and other modmods from HungryForFood that add civs (Prussia, Pius IX, Queen Victoria ecc) no longer work with new version of VP.
The mod is loaded in VP but you cannot choose the civ because it doesn't show up, neither are the entries in Civilopedia
Also: this was the only mod from Hungry that loaded correctly 4UC: others weren't able even forcing in the .modinfo dependencies the 3th and 4th UC.
Pity because Pius IX was really funny to play
This mod hadn't worked in its entirety for a couple of years.

Has anyone encountered this bug when playing latest compatible version from Legen's post?

Other events are shown normally, i even get the bonus from the choice.

1682852279325.png

If this mod is active for some reason it show extra zeroes in the Tourism Overview. Doesn't seem to affect gameplay tho. Anyone else encounter this?

Tourism.png

If this mod is active for some reason it show extra zeroes in the Tourism Overview. Doesn't seem to affect gameplay tho. Anyone else encounter this?
I noticed it, too.
I just checked the mod files and I found out that in the lua folder there is a CultureOverview.lua that changes the related UI window.

Here is Legen's file where I deleted it:
Link (file is too big to attach)

There is a weird mod conflict with this mod where the 3rd and 4th Components of the Papal States Civ won't load, if the Tehuelche Civ is also activated

Let's see if this creates problems.

Changelog:
- moved code for additional UCs on top of JFD_PapalStates_GameDefines_ModSupport.sql file so that it loads first
- substituted deprecated table EventChoice_CityUnhappinessNeedMod that caused the error in the file JFD_PapalStates_GameDefines_UniqueEvents.sql reported by @evahappy with new corrected table entries

Let's see if this creates problems.

Changelog:
- moved code for additional UCs on top of JFD_PapalStates_GameDefines_ModSupport.sql file so that it loads first
- substituted deprecated table EventChoice_CityUnhappinessNeedMod that caused the error in the file JFD_PapalStates_GameDefines_UniqueEvents.sql reported by @evahappy with new corrected table entries

I tried it again with your new Versions of Israel and Papal States and now Papal States looks fine but Israel looks like this for me:

Israel.PNG

This is only VP 3.6.2, MUC, Israel, Papal States and the Tehuelche active and Cache cleared beforehand

Top Bottom