Joan of Arc!!!???

showoffsg

Chieftain
Why Why WHY FIRAXIS WHYY!!??

Honestly... Joan D'Arc? Ever heard of Napoleon?
Anyone want to suggest why they would Possibly choose Joan D'Arc over all the other great french leaders there've been? If I'm not mistaken Joan was never queen/general, just a symbol at the head of an army!

Napoleon is THE greatest military leader ever existed. Period. Well, Maybe some do consider Alexander greater...

The thing is, Civ 3 needed some female leaders, and I guess thats how they chose Joan d'Arc...

Well, for one, she's a female, and the company thinks you need a certain amount of non-male leaders. (Whatever my opinion about this policy is -- and I'm not gonna tell you -- this, it seems, is their philosophy.)

Originally posted by Illusion13
Napoleon is THE greatest military leader ever existed. Period. Well, Maybe some do consider Alexander greater...

The thing is, Civ 3 needed some female leaders, and I guess thats how they chose Joan d'Arc...

Yes Alexander was Greater :) He fought with his army, instead of standing in the back somewhere.

And he was never defeated :) Died of illness.

Napoleon was a great figure in French history. However, without Joan d'arc the Dauphin wouldn't have been crowned king, and his territory would've continued to be under English forces. Keep in mind, it's Saint Joan d'arc; not Saint Napoleon.

It's because of the Universal Suffrage wonder in this world that makes some of the leaders female. But I did like Napoleon in civ1
(and Ramses)

Having Joan of Arc is so stupid, she was never the leader of France and wasn't really much of a troop leader she was mostly a moral booster. Why need female leaders anyway when almost all leaders in history were male? Napoleon or Louis XIV would be a much better choice, of course Napoleon wasn't French so maybe Louis XIV would be the best choice.

In civ4 they should just add a great male and female leader from each of the civs im sure they could find some figure in all of the civs that could become the leader. I would have liked napoleon also.

Joan was included so that they could have more woman leaders.

It has already been established in Many, Many, Many threads that the majority of the posters here feel that Joan should not be the leader. Who it should be remains open to debate. I think Napolean but many of the other contenders also have merit and strong followings.

One other point- Napoleon was Corsican, not born in mainland France.
I'm surprized that no one has yet made a comment about French armies only succeeding when they're not led by a French man. Oh, I just did.....

Originally posted by Illusion13

I would beg to differ to the first half of the post. One of the greatest yes, but THE greatest... that is a topic for another thread.

You are right with the second half of the post.

Maybe they could put Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI in joint chairs...

They dont have to be popular leaders anyway...

I don't care who the leader of the Civ I play is, I care about stuff like how well it plays and what kind of traits it has, etc.

heh, well I'm glad we got that out of the way.
I guess you could do with so many female leaders, but come on! Why FRANCE.. my favourite.. *cries*

Originally posted by Sarevok
its a Gender issue...

No, it was marketing issue. When there was a movie about napolean, not so many people watched it . Couple years back, there was a movie about Joan (I forgot the star), and it was a box-office for weeks... So Afterall, it was a marketing issue :D

I doubt that the ingame leader of France is ever a crucial issue in whether or not to buy a game.

Originally posted by binyo66

No, it was marketing issue. When there was a movie about napolean, not so many people watched it . Couple years back, there was a movie about Joan (I forgot the star), and it was a box-office for weeks... So Afterall, it was a marketing issue :D

I don't think it was a marketing issue. How many people would not buy the game if Napolean was the leader as opposed to Joan? How many people even knew beforehand? I assumed it was going to be Napolean based on my brief exposure to CIV I.

Well, I'm a long standing Napoleon Fanatic and I'm a little disapointed with Joan

Top Bottom