Joe-01

goraemon said:
We also shouldn't discount the possibility that Alex has found copper or iron somewhere else and capable of building axemen. Swordsmen alone would get trampled in that case.

True, but generally we have made a beeline for this technology, especially as it leads to The Collossus (after Metal Casting). Hopefully we've got there before him.

We should send in our initial wave of swordsmen (after some scouting with the gallery) and see where Alex is, militarily. If he does have Axemen on his main island and assuming he's settled other islands already, we could use the swordsmen on the weaker city while we build additional forces (Axemen and what not) to assault his primary city.

[0] 250BC - Taking stock of the nation. First off, I turn the city governors back on in Washington and New York. Set to emphasize shields in NY. Next, I load two of the swordsmen West of NY into the galley there and start the galley on its way to Athens, both for recon duty, and so that it's already in place by the time we are ready to start the war.

I also contact Alex. Wow, he's got quite a few techs on us! And not willing to trade any of them. We definitely need to kick his ass for this arrogance. :) The report also shows he has two more cities, in addition to Athens, so it is quite possible that he has found some source of metals somewhere.

[1] 225BC - Washington builds Swordsman, starts on an axeman. Swordsman sent towards NY, where it is apparently our troop gathering place. :)

The borders of NY expand, giving us a shortcut over the ocean into Alex's territory.

[2] 200BC - NY builds a galley. Starts on another one. The two swordsmen in NY are loaded into the galley, too, and sent over towards Alex. First galley arrives at Athens. There are still three archers there, but also there is an Axeman on the hill just east of Athens, so yes, Alex definitely has some metals in his possession. :)

[3] 175BC - We get Metal Casting. Start working on Mathematics, so that we can get construction eventually. Washington completes Axeman, starts on a forge. Philly builds Lighthouse, starts Axeman, since having defenders in a city is a good thing. ;) I also wanted to upgrade that warrior in NY to Axeman and load it onto the ship, but screwed up. :smoke: How'd I pull that off? Well, loaded the guy in first, and then realized I can't upgrade him on the ship! :D Well, invasion is now delayed by one turn.

[4] 150BC - Boston builds library. Starts on axeman. Axeman and sword in NY loaded onto galley, and shipped off towards Athens. I also lower the science rate to 90%, since we have -4 gpt, and 1 gold in the coffers, now that the warrior in NY has been upgraded. :)

[6] 100BC - Time to attack. I contact Alex, and demand Archery as tribute. He gives it to us. :hammer: After that, I declare war.

[7] 75BC - NY builds galley, starts on sword.

[8] 50BC - Get mathematics. Start construction. Our troops unload at the gates of Athens. Galleys go exploring to find other Greek cities.

[9] 25BC - Between turns, the Axeman on the Athens isle attacks our troops, and loses without even scratching our boys. (Good thing I brought that one Axe from NY, eh? ;)) Washington builds a forge, starts on Axe. We get somewhat unlucky and lose three swords when attacking, but Athens is ours. The worker from Athens gets put on the one galley that is going back home for reinforcements, and starts for our home island. The other two galleys search for more Greeks.

[10] 1AD - Boston builds Axe. Starts on sword. American empire now holds Half a Million Souls.

Here's an overview of the nation at the end of my turns:

You can see, some troops are about to finish. There's a galley in New York, and one just south, coming back from Athens. We can load those with troops and move in on other Greek cities (which the two galleys east of Athens will hopefully soon discover). At least, we should take the Greek source of metal, if possible, before the war is through. Also, when we are ready for peace, don't forget to extort some techs from Alex for it, we are somewhat backwards here. ;)

However, here's the good news:

Backwards we might be, but we are doing pretty well in commerce and production, which means we only stand to gain ground here, because note our crop yields are low, which means we are underexpanding, basically (also, another indication of that is that we are running at 90% science with good income ;)). So, after the war is over, we definitely need to concentrate on more settling, both of our main, and the surrounding isles.

PS: Also, the warrior south of Boston that was on fog-busting duty, I took him off and sent him back into a city. We might upgrade him and send him off on Greek-killing duty. There isn't enough fog down there for the barbs to found a city, and if some individual soldiers spawn, that's just free experience for us at this point. :)

Oh, one more thing. :) Dot-map. ;)

Blue dots are what we already have, and I suggest we should settle pink, dot first, and then light-blue and then yellow dot. :)

Vovan

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 146
Yes... They must have built it somewhere between the time war was declared and when my troops arrived. :) Also note there were fewer archers, and no galley in there. That means that they must have sneaked off after war was declared (there was a turn where I didn't see their city, since my galleys got pushed out of their borders on declaration). So, they might still now actually have three and not two more cities. :)

Vovan

Great job, taking Athens so early was a major coup. I wonder what else he's got going. Even if we just made peace now, it would have been a very worthwhile effort. We are in a fine position to build and tech for a while. But maybe we can finish him easily.

I think the light blue dot should go one east to avoid overlap. That would lose one jungle and one coast (not counting the 3 overlap tiles it would lose) and gain 2 coast and 3 ocean. Or maybe 3/4 coast and 1/2 ocean, depending on what lies southeast. Anyway, certainly seems better to me.

Looking forward to seeing JoE's set.

Doubt I'll get a foight in my set. My objectives provided I don't find him in the first couple of turns will be (in no particular order);

1)Build Collossus
2)Rebuild lost military units
3)Settle west of Washington

By the end of the turn I hope to at least have an invasion force on the way to another of the Greek cities.

Sounds good!

First, good job on the turnset, Vovan! :goodjob:

I think that we should continue the war to a reasonable extent and seek out another one of Alex's cities to capture or raze. We have definitely struck a major blow by taking his capital city. Whether this is a major blow or a crippling blow, we do not know until we find the extent of his empire. I personally would feel more comfortable focusing on economy after this war if I knew that Alex was crippled to an extent that we would not have to pay *too* much attention to him.

PRETURN
Left things as is.

TURN 1
Washington completes Axeman. Start Colossus (12). New York completes Swordsman. Starts Settle (9). Upgrade Warrior south of Boston to Axe and send him SE for better barbarian spotting.

TURN 2
Axeman completes in Philadelphia. Start Spearman in case of mounted unit attacks.

TURN 3
Found Alex on an eastern island (screenshot). Can't see anything more than the border yet, but he has got gems...no wonder he got a tech lead so quick! Mind you, these gems haven't been mined yet, but a worker is building a road to them. MM Washington to reduce Colossus build time by two turns at the expense of 1 food and 3 gold.

TURN 4
Construction comes in. Start Currency (9) for Market. Imhotep (GE) is born in Washington. Debate what to do with him and end up using him to complete the Colossus. In retrospect, maybe I should have saved him or had him join a city...I don't think we were in danger of losing the Colossus to anyone else.

TURN 5
Colossus finishes. Start Cat (1) in Washington. Athens revolt finishes, so start Library for border expansion. Christianity founded in a distant land. So much for getting a late religion...

TURN 6
Washington finishes Cat. Start another. Boston starts Barracks. Sent Boston's finished Swordsman to New York...also sent Cat to New York.

TURN 7
Nothing...more exploration of Alex's island but still can't see the city. No threat for any navy as yet, but he must have one...this island is even smaller than the one Athens was on!

TURN 8
Washington produces Cat. Send to New York, and start Axeman. New York finishes Settler so send him west to our predetermined city tile. New York starts Galley.

TURN 9
Sussed out Alex's island. It contains Sparta. It's another city that looks nice to take over, however, he's only left one way out for his navy, so I'm gonna park a galley there. Two archers in the city at the moment. Gems (as mentioned before), plenty of hills, nice costal tiles (oysters and clams). I send the other galley back to New York to pick up the newly developing armed forces. Checking out Alex and he has machinery, so we need to keep an eye out for Macemen and Crossbowmen...he has Iron on this island...hopefully his only source. Start Barracks in Philly. Spotted a Greek galley...nothing on board, may have been on Settler dropping off duty. Alex has at least Sparta, Corinth and Thermapolai.

TURN 10
Currency comes in, start machinery to get up to speed with the military. Greek galley is on Athens border but is empty...might be worth following it to see if we can find his other cities.

OTHER STUFF
Settler has arrived in the founding spot, so next player can simply build city with him. Also, once New York has finished the galley and the other one arrives, there will be four galleys...there are enough units in New York to fill up about two and a half galleys. Hopefully four galleys worth of units will be enough to take Sparta, especially with the Cats. No units I've created have been given their upgrades just in case circumstances change.

EDIT - Forgot to mention Sparta now contains a crossbowman!

Good luck.

1. JesusOnEez - Just Played
2. Perplexity - Up
3. goraemon - On Deck
4. temmage
5. vovan

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 104
My main suggestion is: don't wait for all galleys to fill up! Start sending troops over to Sparta. The iron must be pillaged ASAP. Hence, the sonner the first wave of troops arrives there, the better. They can hang around waiting for reinforcements, if need be, or they can attempt taking the city right away, if the defences aren't built up much.

Vovan

--Pre-Turn (250AD)

So I got the HOF mod all set up, which includes the auto turn logger thing, and was looking forward to using it. But then when I tried to load the save, it told me I wasn't allowed to have any mods loaded. So that sucked.

Anyway.

Philly is building Barracks. This doesn't seem like a priority to me at all. I want a work boat for the second Clams, a Granary for health and fast growth, and a library. This will be a big commerce city with all the ocean tiles. Only one turn production has gone into Barracks so I switch it to work boat (4).

Washington is over health limit. Switch off of ocean tiles and onto mined tiles, 0 net food now. 30 hammers per turn now. We need to build Harbor here soon for the health. But I will let this Axeman finish.

New York tile usage is fine. Note that there is a lot of overlap with Boston and we need to always keep track of which city should use the overlap tiles.

Boston is over health limit already. We have a big jungle problem here, need to fix it. Micromanage to 0 net food to accelerate the half-done Barracks, now due in 3.

Athens is in fine shape. I'm not sure I would have started the Library, but it's half done, so I'll let it finish.

Check out everything else. Civics/Finance/Diplomacy look fine. After checking out Science and Religion, I decide to beeline for Philosophy/Taoism. Machinery was just started so nothing lost. I think we have a chance at getting it, and it would be very worthwhile.

Load up one of the New York Galleys with 2 Swordsmen and point it towards Sparta. Put 2 Cats on another and send it as well.

Cancel a goto order on the Galley east of Athens -- hate to use those in SGs.

Start the Galley by Sparta back towards our main continent.

Fix an Axeman position in our south to remove all fog.

Ok time to end turn.

--Turn 1
Discover Meditation, start Drama.
Finish Axeman in Washington, start Swordsman (1 turn). Send Axeman to New York to load.
Athens fishing boats destroyed by Greek Frigate. Annoying.
Taoism founded in a distant land! Heh. So much for having a chance at that. Consider aiming at Islam but it's pretty far. Switch back to Machinery (9).
Galleys heading for Sparta. New York Worker heads towards Boston Silks.
Found Atlanta. Start Archer.

--Turn 2
Finish Swordsman in Wasington. Start War Elephant (2). Swordsman to NY.
Chop some Jungle near Boston. Move some Galleys.

--Turn 3
Finish Galley in New York. Start Axeman (4). Put two Axemen onto Galley.
Finish Barracks in Boston. Start War Elephant -- health is going to be fixed by Jungle chops.

--Turn 4
Finish War Elephant in Washington, start another (2). Send this one to NY.
Finish Work Boat in Philly, start Granary (5). Work Boat to Clams.
We have gained access to Horses, since Athens borders expand. I notice now that city govs are on. Please don't use them. They are stupid. They try to grow beyond health/hap limits, among other flaws.
So I turn them off and MM all cities.
Continue clearing jungle around Boston.
Decide to use an empty Galley to attack Alex's Galley since we have loaded Galleys around. Lose the empty one, but then I attack his wounded one with one of our full ones and win.
Chop the forest on a grassland hill near Philly.

--Turn 5
Finish Library in Athens. There's a lot to do here -- Lighthouse, Granary, Work Boat for the pillaged Clams, Worker to clear forests and build cottages, Barracks, or a unit. I decide on a Catapult -- since there are 3 units here already, we can send one of them away with a Cat. 3 turns to complete after I see that we are at happiness limit and MM to stagnant.
Galleys continuing.

--Turn 6
Finish Elephant in Washington. Go for a Spearman in exactly 1 turn (no overflow hammers).
Finish Axeman in New York. Start Cat (4).
Move Galleys.

--Turn 7
Saladin finds us! My attempts to take a screenshot seem to fail. He has 484 score to our 598 and Alex's 278.
Alex comes to suggest a peace treaty, offering Priesthood and 20 gold... I don't even really consider it since we've built so much military and it's en route to Sparta already. I see if he'll give Priesthood, Poly, Calendar, and all his gold... nope. So he dies instead.
Finish Spearman in Washington. How about another Elephant (2).
Buddhism has spread in our lands, to Boston, from Saladin. I don't see any reason to convert and have anarchy now. But we have the option now.
Granary finishes in Philly, start Library. We have 8 food surplus here, will grow very fast.
Move Galleys.

--Turn 8
We discover Machinery. Go for Optics in 6. That can't be bad.
Washington completes War Elephant. I think that's enough units for now. Start Aqueduct for health. Maybe we'll build Hanging Gardens...
War Elephant completes in Boston as well. Start Granary here.
Catapult completes in Athens. Start Galley (4) -- there are 4 units in town here, we can send 2.
A Galley makes it back to New York, so I put to Elephants on and send it back towards Alex.
Forced to drop research to 80%. Optics still coming in 6.

--Turn 9
Two Galleys reach Sparta and unload. Sparta has 2 Archers and 1 Phalanx. We have 2 Cats and 2 Swords, with 2 Axeman nearby.
Worker/Galley action.

--Turn 10
Finish Cat in New York. Switch to Galley (5). There are 6 units in town already.
Boston borders pop.
Promote Cats and bombard Sparta down to 14%. Swordsman attack would be 6.0 vs 9.2 right now -- not good. Send one Swordsman up to pillage the iron, fortify the other to defend the Cats.
Worker/Galley action.

Ok well I guess that's it.

Now I will take many screenshots to attach.

Attachments

• Main Continent0000.JPG
    Main Continent0000.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 132
  • Philly0000.JPG
    Philly0000.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 100
  • Athens0000.JPG
    Athens0000.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 106
  • Sparta0000.JPG
    Sparta0000.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 129
More screenshots, and the save.

Attachments

• Dom Adv 20000.JPG
    Dom Adv 20000.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 139
  • Military Advisor0000.JPG
    Military Advisor0000.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 91
So Goraemon is up. Good luck. Seems like you should be able to take Sparta pretty easily.

Maybe then get Alex to pay up for peace -- he has a few techs on us. And we have plenty of expansion / economy consolidation to do.

It might not be too late to get Islam.

Or maybe we should just accept Buddhism and spread it.

Anyway good luck and have fun.

Cool, I'll take a look at it soon :)
Hopefully I won't need too much luck but wish me luck :)

Good turns there, Perplexity. :)

One suggestion I have: we really need to explore more. Two galleys should be quite enough to supply troops at the moment. Hence, I would suggest the following. In the screenshot below, the circle denotes the location of three galleys. One of them is carrying troops, and two are going back to the mainland, apparantly. I would suggest that the two empty galleys be used for exploration instead - one to the North of Sparta, and one to the South-East. The one galley with troops, and the one just west of Athens, also with troops, can keep carrying troops. But the other two really should do some exploration. :) (Of course, I suppose we could just wait for optics to roll in and build two or three caravels instead, but Sparta is about to fall, and we need to know the locations of other Greek cities soon to make an informed decision on whether to continue the war. :))

Vovan

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 138
Top Bottom