JOE-03 - Xenophobia Returns

Pre-Grame Strategy

Thus begins the rule of Armstrong I!

First, I have to deal with the complaints! Mao's warrior bands have been spotted walking through the forests on our island. Our people understandably don't want to work in the forest anymore, so I instruct some workers to build a mine they can work in, and not have to look on the unclean.

All in all, however, the experience has been pretty traumatic on them. We need some physical object they can look at, and feel safer. We begin research on "obelisks."

((ooc: Archery is rough... we still have 6 turns left on it. We don't need archers, once our bronze is hooked up, and to get that we'll need Mysticism for obelisks. I decide to research Mysticism - this will let us both work our bronze & our gold. The gold alone will double our research. We should be safe enough with just warriors for now.))

For defense, then, Kyoto will finish it's warrior.

Turn 1 - 2620 BC

Our first band of settlers bravely leaves our lands. Men, women, and children, protected by our finest warriors, trudge through the hills towards the dry lands where the strange, but powerful, metals were found.

Meanwhile, the construction of the mine begins.

Turn 2 - 2590 BC

RRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRR!

Our pour band of settlers find themselves surrounded by lions, trapped on a hill.

((whoops, I accidentally resized this screenshot 2x, that's why it's so small. There are two lions within our warrior's "fat cross."))

Turn 3 - 2560 BC

Our band narrowly escapes the lions' gauntlet, but the pack follows them, circling around the camps each night.

Turn 4 - 2530 BC

((ooc: This is really frusterating. I can either settle the town now, move away from the direction I'd like to scout, or risk fighting lions in the open. It recommends another city spot to the north that would certainly be better if it has a food resource, but it will take at least 3-4 turns to scout it out and 2-3 to move back if there's no food (and risk sending our warrior/settler in flat terrain against lions.) :(

I play it safe. I don't want to risk our first settler, or delay our second city, so I settle "Brass Lions" in the desert. It's an awful late game city, but will be very strong until size 8-9 or so.))

In the desert, near both of the strange metals, and the gentle and docile pigs, our settlers construct permanent shelters. The city will always be known as "Brass Lions," for the metals it will work and the harrowing journey through the desert. Frightend of having to fight lions, or Mao's men, they begin work on a barracks.

Turn 5 - 2500 BC

:coffee:

Turn 6 - 2470 BC

:beer:

Turn 7 - 2440 BC

:coffee:

Turn 8 - 2410 BC

The mines are finished, and our people run underground to hide from Mao. Our worker heads to help out at Brass Lions. He plans on cutting down the forest there to construct an obelisk once we have finished the plans. Tragically, though, it will not be during the rule of Armstrong I.

Turn 9 - 2380 BC

Hushed voices whisper the grim news that Mao has begun the cruel practice of slavery. Will this cancer ever leave our shores?

Turn 10 - 2350 BC

A new band of warriors is trained in Kyoto - the Kobayashi clan. They are sent northwest to investigate the strange sea creatures to the north.

Terrible news! our wisemen have finally constructed the first prototype of an obelisk. Alas, it falls on Armstrong I, ending his reign.

In fond memory, the people of Brass Lions leave their barracks unfinished and begin construction of an obelisk immediately.

Discussion

I put a sign that says "chop 1n" for forest - in order to get the obelisk asap, we should cut down the forest that is 1n of the sign, inside the cultural boundaries. The reason the sign's 1s is because it would block the city's name otherwise.

For our third city site, I put down two places I like a bit a little south of "Money". I think both of these cities could be strong, balanced cities. The site to the north basically gains 3 desert hills and a flood plains for better production, while the site to the south picks up a silk and some grasslands for more commerce:

I have to say, the land to the west is some of the hardest I've ever had to dotmap. It's not terrible land, but no real winners jump out. Given that our second city is only going to be useful up to around size 9 or so, we need to be very intelligent about our next one. Looking back, I'm not so happy with it, but I'm not sure what other choices we had (assuming there's no other food up there - I managed to see a dye, which is what I think triggered the blue circle, so I doubt it actually.

There's a coastal site in the south that gets both the fish and the wheat also. It's not bad looking as well, with two foods, 4 grass hills, some grasslands, and coastal.

I started researching Animal Husbandry after Obelisk, but there are no beakers on it yet. If anyone would like to change it back to Archery, go ahead. Likewise, there are no hammers on the worker in Kyoto or the Obelisk in Brass Lions.

The save and the roster:

JesusOnEez - On Deck
Jkaen - naming streets...
Talamane - cautiously waiting...
Armstrong - Just Played
Berserks01 - UP NOW :hammer:

Got it. Let's see what kind of dmg I can do.

Nothing happened during my turnset, pretty disappointing.

Turn 0 (Preflight) - Everything looks ok. Hit enter.

Turn 1 - Mao wants open border, I told him to take a shower first. Sent worker to chop.

Turn 2 - 7 - :sleep:

Turn 8 - Obelisk finished, started rax. Some barb appeared S of Kyoto, sent warrior to fortify city.

Turn 9 - Barb moves into our border.

Turn 10- Barb destroyed a road.

We need more warriors to explore and fog bust.

Roster:
JesusOnEez - {up}
Jkaen - {on deck}
Talamane - {salivating}
Armstrong - {strategizing}
Berserks01 - {just played}

Since we're playing on Epic, would you all want to play maybe 15 turns or so, at least until we declare on the pestilence? 10 turns goes so quickly at this point in the game on Epic :)

Things look pretty good - hopefully that warrior won't pillage anymore of Cow Street, but instead just throw himself at our city (and not win! :mischief:)

Does anyone know if lakes can be used for transportation (with or without sailing?) It makes a little difference getting our bronze hooked up, and a HUGE difference to connect the "Big Comm/Big Prod" cities I recommended for city #3, since they're off of a river connected to the lake.

Also, I think I'd use up the rest of the forests in lake city once we get our worker in there. We have plenty of health, and we're going to cottage 'em in any case.

Finally, what do you all think of as our next tech?

I think the way it works is that if you have a road connection to a river, the transport takes place OK.

"Got it" by the way!

I'm also all for chopping with the health we potentialy have once Granaries and Markets are built.

For our third city, I'm leaning more on the commerce side of things at the moment. Our research speed will be crippled due to the variants later, and the more cash we have coming in the better. If we can create a good commerce city here, and found Confucianism, spread it to all our cities and build a shrine, that'd go a long way to making up our research deficit.

As for the next tech? Writing for Libraries, and it's also on the way to Cat's. Although I may change my mind when I have a proper look.

As per Amrstrong's suggestion, play 15 turns until we declare on The Unclean, then we'll go back to 10 and stick with it.

I'll play later.

JesusOnEez said:
I think the way it works is that if you have a road connection to a river, the transport takes place OK.

Yeah, but what about lakes? :p I don't think it's ever come up in a game I've played before this one, but it matters here, as it's an extra road to hook up our bronze (to capital, at least) and about 4 extra roads to Big Commerce :crazyeye:

If we want Oracle for CoL, we might want to go down the religious track first (Polytheism or Meditation -> Priesthood) so we'll be able to build start the Oracle asap (and then get Writing.) That being said, with 8 turns still left on our worker, and our gold eventually coming in, going Writing first won't hurt I think.

Lakes, I don't know. :blush:

Truth is, I played before I read your post, and I went Pottery instead...working cottages is going to be big in this game.

Also, I've had to delay some builds for a couple more warriors as the barbs started making a nuisance of themselves in my turnset, but more about that in the turn report (writing it now).

PRE-TURN - 2050BC
JesusOnEez II takes the throne, and all seems quiet with the world. He decided to reward his people with a huge renaming party...hence Kyoto will now be known as Lake Placid. The lake has been checked for monster alligators.

2020BC
A stench decends over Lake Placid as wandering barbarians threaten the sanctity of our lives. Our lone warrior wraps his loin cloth around his face in readiness for the attack.

Our warrior is of course, victorious, and our medics get to work on him in readiness for the next wave of attacks, but he now has the experience required to be a more formidable warrior when it comes to melee opponents.

1930BC
Our warrior counters another barbarian, but another is spotted from the hills taking a different route. It looks like he may be attacking our mine, but with one lone warrior, we cannot leave the city unguarded. We watch, helpless, as he closes in.

1900BC
Our city of Brass Lions finishes working on a mine. Our workers decide the next course of action is to build a road to the copper in the hills, so we can transport it to our master weapon makers once a mine is built. Our barracks here is taking a long time to build, so working of the land changes priority to the newly created mine. The city no longer had enough food to grow, but our people aren't starving. Our researches are nearing an answer to how best to harvest the nearby pigs, so the problem here shouldn't last.

1840BC

:sad:

More barbarians threaten us, but our warrior is confident of a victory. Our researcher bring news that they know how to make food from the animals that roam our lands, but have discovered that Lions taste like dung. Pigs and Cows however, have a marvelous taste, and they start research on apple sauce and horse radish.

Due to the continuing threat of barbarians on our lands, both Lake Placid and Brass Lions are training new warriors. Brass Lions can now train fearsome warriors indeed, as a Barracks has been built to train them into fighting machines.

1810BC
Our researches have decided that sauces are not the best use of their time, and are trying to figure out a way of making more money from the land. For some reason, they feel that pots are the best way of doing this.

Our new worker in Lake Placid, starts utilising the new animal husbandry technology, and begins a road to the cows.

1720BC
Brass Lions is under threat and our worker flees for the safety of the city.

1690BC
The warrior that threatened to pillage our mine is almost laughing at us as we stare, helplessly.

1660BC
The mine at Lake Placid is destroyed. We cannot let this happen again, and our newly created warrior at Brass Lions is sent to guard the copper after the defeat of a barbarian. Our worker heads back to the copper, now the immediate threat has been elliminated.

1630BC
Our worker has built a road from Lake Placid to the cows and beings work on a pasture.

A barbarian is killed at Lake Placid. He has the experience to be trained with new skills, but JesusOnEez II decides to leave this decision to the next elder.

Brass Lions is changed to work the pigs, so is now growing again.

As my turn report sugest, barbarians are becoming a nuisance, but our warriors are getting nice upgrades. I have left a warrior at Lake Placid with no upgrades...barb archers may turn up soon, so this may be the best upgrade to use, and set him on the cows for defence.

A warrior is defending the copper at Brass Lions.

Since our warriors are getting upgrades through beating up barbarians, I've skipped Archery...our cities are defended by warriors and they get a 25% city defence bonus anyway, plus with our Aggressive straight, they get Combat I..plenty enough for beating on a barbarian archer, but by the time they come along, hopefully we'll have an axeman or two.

The mine at Lake Placid was pillaged before I could get a second warrior out, so once the pasture is built, it'd be a good idea to rebuild that.

Pottery is being researched and I'd suggest cottage spamming once the resources are hooked up. Writing is probably the way to go after that, then beeline for CoL, or try and get the Oracle via the religious tech first. The choice is yours, but I'd personally go for straight research, as I don't think we'll get Oracle.

That's about it...other than that, work on building up our Axeman army, and it'd be good to get another city going before my turnset swing around again!

Here's another dotmap, but the commerce site should be first on the list I think.

Damn dirty barbs!

I think our most pressing priorities are getting the bronze connected and some axers up, and also getting our gold connected. As for your dot map, it's hard to say without really looking at it, but I think shifting GP/Research e or ne (to make room for a fish city in the south, and get less desert) might be better, but we really don't know what's around there yet. :)

I think our 4th city should be the food city in the NW, and let it be our GP city. It will have two pretty good food resources and lots of grass to farm. We definitely need to scout around a bit before.

As for a tech path, I agree with not wasting turns on the religious techs now that we're getting into Pottery - I don't think it wa a bad choice, as I don't see us having the production for the Oracle atm, and no real use for Meditation/Polytheism/Priesthood right now. I'm not adverse to a Writing -> Math -> Currency -> Code of Laws path, and from there we could grab Civil Service if we have no other pressing needs. It also lets us get Construction, if the war with the unclean proves too troubling just for axes.

Please skip me for the next couple of turns til I say I'm back. Baby is out, and she demands attention!!! :)

And so we move onto Jkaen II, Jkaen the warrior men call him, for him was not the sanctuary of city, but the glory of battle.

At the very start of his reign in 1570 BC, after yet again turning down an open border request from our unclean neighbours, Jkaen, knowing that there was a new unit of warriors formed in order to watch over the city as it began collecting people to form yet another settlement, moved south to protect Cow Street and our workers there from barbarian threats.

Seeing off the first barbarian wave easily the king ordered his workers behind him to continue working on the pasture, whilst elsehwere work began on a bronzemine in order to upgrade our warriors weapons. The second barbarian wave however was more skilled and severly reduced the numbers pf the kings bodyguard, and while they grew generally more efficient in combat they were not up to full strength so re-inforcements were sent from the city to stave off the incoming wave.

Alas these new warriors gave up their lives defending the king against this flodd of barbarians, but injured them enough that the king was able to march in and finish them off.

About the same time as this research on pottery was finally finished, and as to the kings instructions work was begun on finding a form of writing in order to record his deeds for future generations.

The worker now finished with the pasture moved on to complete the Road to Nowhere (which now infact led to Brass Lions), a city that itself was now seeing off barbarian attack succesfully.

Short years after that work was finished on the bronzemine and the workers started work on the Yellow Brick Road towards a site for a gold mine. With this new resource arrived the elders in Brass Lion decided warriors were no longer worth making and decided to train the troops as spearmen, but warned there may be long delays. The news that some other people had founded Judaism interested them not a bit.

It autoupdated as we had bronze linked

While our valiant king saw off yet more threats work was completed on the Road to Nowhere, and begun on Squeler Street to link up to a wandering herd of pigs nearby.

Alas Jkaen's reign came to an end when the people decided the needed a stay at home king, Jkaen however stayed in the army, and his story continued....

ROSTER
JesusOnEez -
Jkaen - Kicking Bottom
Talamane - Ready to rule
Armstrong - Lurking in Shadows

(SKIP) - Berserks01 - Changing Nappies

View attachment 128555

Sounds good all in all but...spearmen?

First priority here is to get Axemen up and running and send them to The Unclean for an ass-whuppin'. I would have been happy leaving a couple of Axe's behind for defence rather than Spearmen...but that's just me.

I don't think we'll have any threat's from horse based units (have never seen a barb mounted unit and Mao tends not to build them).

Talamane, you're up next, but in my opinion, the Spearmen should be cancelled for Axes, anybody agree/disagree?

Note I didnt select a spearman, the work on the warrior autoconverted to spearmen once warriors became obsolete, so we either take the spearman or say goodbye to 40 turns of production, I chose to keep it.

Top Bottom