1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Jon Shafer joins Stardock to work on elemental

Discussion in 'News Updates' started by The_J, Jan 5, 2011.

1. heihojin

heihojin Prince

I don't harbor a vendetta against Shafer because he quit Firaxis.

I hold it against him that he didn't quit sooner.

2. scratchthepitch

scratchthepitch King

Then you wouldn't have gotten your Civ4: Beyond the Sword. Isn't that the icon you worship, your holy of holies? Your Game of Games?:lol:

3. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

CFC is not a Firaxis site. The guy who owns it isn't a Firaxian.

4. Sid

Sid Observer and Participant

I agree with those who find all this vindictiveness petty, and mostly uninformed. Many of your problems with CiV will be fixed by the huge team at Firaxis in the next expansion(s). Jon going to Stardock is more indicative of his desire for creative freedom -- and Brad's deep pockets perhaps -- than any of your perceptions about failures with CiV.

5. Newbunkle

Newbunkle Muppet

That's the best part of the game.

6. heihojin

heihojin Prince

Really? That's funny, I read two different people credited as Lead Designer for BtS.

And personally, no. I preferred Warlords.

7. hewhocaves

hewhocaves Chieftain

aw crud..

and I liked Stardock too.. I especially liked the promise of Elemental.
    Well, maybe this just means we can get past Star Trek V... i mean Civ V and onto Civ VI.

lol.. i think I should be lead designer for Civ VI. I have some COBOL programming experience, a little C++, and some HTML coding. Oh wait, does that make me overqualified for them? :mischief:

8. Zhahz

Zhahz PC Gamer

The people at SD aren't stupid...seems like a good acquisition to me.

Eh, opinions vary, right? I think 1UPT, hexes, and attempting to add strategic combat into Civ was the best decision ever. I've always found combat in Civ to be horribly lacking, cheesy, and exploitive, and considered the majority of players "beating" civ on higher difficulties to be exploiting (taking advantage of AI flaws, poor game mechanics, ideal map conditions, etc).

If the AI had been anything but ultra stupid it could've been the best thing ever (combat in civ 5).

Some other elements of the game were kinda meh, like resource placement and bonuses that kinda took away pizazz (going overboard on balancing) and balance in general was kind of wonky, but you can't be sure to blame that on design when you have Steam, a parent company, crappy testing and beta processes, and deadlines that prevent refinement.

9. Rainbow Sand

Rainbow Sand Chieftain

MWAHAHAH do you know of the "paradox of perceived threat"? Someone, believing himself to be in control of certain area, spots the youngling showing signs of a great potential; perceiving him as a potential threat for his "rule", he attempts to cripple, enslave or eliminate the youngling, thus giving him the 'real' reason - self-defence - to overthrow the tyrant, while otherwise left in peace that youngling most likely would not have bothered to interfere. This paradox is one case of the same kind, kind of "self-fulfilling prophecy", while another case is that of "stupid monkey": one, presuming that monkeys are stupid, treats them as such and actually makes them stupid as result (see "population of U.S.A. as shown in Robochicken"). Ahh, where is that Darth Vader to choke some of you [imbeciles (see "stupid monkey")] and tell to the remained rest: "YOU PRESUME TOO MUCH"