1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Judicial Discussion JR1 CoL Ratification Poll legality

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Demo Game: Citizens' started by DaveShack, Jan 8, 2006.

1. trundle

trundle Chieftain

No, if the CoL were overturned, the Constitution would still be valid. And the elections for the Judiciary were valid under the Constitution (see Articles D and F).

2. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

These are easy points to cover.

If you're referring to a complaint against Alphawolf, it won't be necessary to hold a trial, since the situation was already handled by the mods. I think we have a mod tagged statement to that effect somewhere...

On the ability of a citizen to choose someone other than the Public Defender, that is already defined in the law.

Con. F.4.b says:
    • The Public Defender will act as council to an accused citizen, if the accused citizen wishes.
    It doesn't get any clearer than this. ;)

3. Blkbird

Blkbird Chieftain

Exactly. I triple-checked that before I filed this JR. :lol:

4. GeorgeOP

GeorgeOP RF Bleachers

Ok, so the Judiciary would stand, but the other elections would be nulified, correct? Or am I still not seeing the whole picture?

Also, (I'm sorry, but being new I'm not sure how normal Judicial process works, so I'll just come out and ask) do you know when the courts will reach a decision? When does the court rule on anything? Once two justices agree, or when all three have agreed that they've heard enough?

5. ravensfire

ravensfire Member of the Opposition

GeorgeOP - see my response in the Judicial thread.

-- Ravensfire, Public Defender

6. Black_Hole

Black_Hole Chieftain

Two More Arguments against its ratifacation:
    1. If we follow the amendment proccess in the CoL, the CoL couldn't have been ratified, 48 hours between the mock poll and poll is required only 21 hours occurred, but does the ratifacation have to follow its own amendment proccess?

2. Constitution:
    According to Blkbird himself, the Code of Laws is harder to amend than the constitution, but is this allowed? Are ratifacation polls counted as decisions? If so that article is void, but if that article is void we can't change the CoL, this could put us in a pickle

7. GeorgeOP

GeorgeOP RF Bleachers

Maybe the Judicary could ok the CoL, but then someome could bring up a second JR that challenges the amendment policy.

8. trundle

trundle Chieftain

I don't think it would make any amendments impossible to pass -- I think it would just make them fall under the same structure as any decision within the Constitution (referendums, initiatives, etc.).

9. Blkbird

Blkbird Chieftain

They rather questions than arguments, aren't they?

No, I've answered it in detail.

"Harder" in this context means that the process is more lengthy and complicated, not that it requires more support. Of course the ratification is a decision, and it requires less support (50% vs. 60%) than a Constitution amendment. A CoL amendment, which the rafication is not, would also require no more, but the same amount of support (60%) as a Constitution amendment.

10. Blkbird

Blkbird Chieftain

11. trundle

trundle Chieftain

Update: All three justices have posted their rulings, and the ratification has been upheld.

I wonder if anyone knew when they were nominating/campaigning that their first case would carry such weight with it... =)

12. ravensfire

ravensfire Member of the Opposition

The first term tends to be the busiest. The first term with a brand new ruleset has the potential to be extremely busy.

-- Ravensfire