• Read the quick start section, then play

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Read the manual

Votes: 11 18.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Honolulu Blue

Chieftain
I'm curious about what people intend to do with this game out of the box. I usually study the manual for any game that I buy that has one (and this one figures to have a nice one - Sid's game manuals are the stuff of legend). But on the other side, I'm very familiar with the original game, somewhat familiar with Civ IV (working on it), and quite curious about what's inside.

Thank you for your time.

Even though I enjoy reading game manuals, I've been waiting for this for so long I'll leave the reading for later. Despite my experience with the original game, I might play the tutorial to make sure I don't miss any of the new features.

Even though I enjoy reading game manuals...
As someone wrote on another forum, I only enjoy game manuals when I'm camping in the woods and suddenly realize I forgot toilet paper. :D

I will start the tutorial for the features yet I do not expect to need it. I want to what's new, that's all.

I jump right in to see what the game looks/feels like.
I'll read the manual on my commute, and play the tutorial if necessary.

I never play any game without reading the manual, I do not like not knowing all the commands and what ever tips the manual offers. The reading the manual is part of the getting into the game process for me. My origanl Railraod tycoon manual was like a study in history, wish they would bring back the big manual like that one.

I generally tend to jump right in and try to figure it out as best I can. I then peruse the manual for tips and explanations of things I don't quite understand from direct game play. If the game, or genre, is new to me (unlike Civ, which I have been playing since Civ 1) then I might try out a tutorial just to get the hang of the mechanics of the game before jumping in, but that is pretty rare.

When I buy a new game - I don't want to read a book - I want to play the game! I don't care if I have to re-start a game multiple times as I get the hang of it.

I've jumped right in and played nearly all the PC games I've purchased.

I may or may not even read the Readme file depending on how lengthy it is.

If I experience difficulties playing a specific game, I will usually play the Tutorial but not necessarily all the way through--it depends on the Tutorial.

If all else fails and I can't figure out how to play the game, then I will read the manual. Usually I use the manual as a reference and only consult it about specific topics.

I played the original Colonization and have played the entire Civilization series, so I do not anticipate any difficulty comprehending how to play Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization. I believe Sid Meier's games are pretty much intuitive and learning them is a snap.

Life is too short to spend it reading about a game instead of playing it. :old:

tutorial because maunual doesnt really explain much and redme txt is a bit gay.

Since I haven't played the original Colonization, I will probably start with the tutorial. I am a visual learner, so I would rather be shown how to do things on the game itself instead of reading a manual and then trying to remember all the things I've read while playing the game. :crazyeye:

Haha. Um. I guess that's why we're all here on this forum right?

We're just killin' time 'til the game comes out...

I would start direclty, but only because I recently replayed old Colonization game, so I'm familiar with basic concepts (which are pretty much same in both games).

I'll skim through the README just in case there's any show-stoppers in there. Never found one yet but it doesn't take more than 60 secs or so.

Then I'll play the tutorial. As I find new concepts in the game, I might look up the bit in the manual. I don't ever read the manual end to end. It's good to have a manual though for those occasions where you want to look up something which doesn't seem to make any sense. If the game help doesn't explain enough then there's nowhere else to go ... except this forum of course.

Hmm, there's an idea, why don't you guys read the manual then I'll ask you on here.

Top Bottom