[GS] June 2019 Patch notes discussion

Observations on the increase in late-game tech cost: So, I fear the concerns about raising the tech/civic costs in mid- to late-game may be coming to fruition, at least with games in epic/marathon. I believe the change was made originally in order for players to better match the Global Era with where one is on individual era. However, I am noticing with my current games that the AI isn’t adapting to the cost increase well, which affects the Global Era timer greatly.

In my current game, I just hit modern era techs and civics while the Global Era is still in Renaissance. Looking at the AI on the tech/civic trees, there are some really bad stragglers, (i.e. Germany just discovered Metal Casting, while I am just about to hit Flight). Granted, I don’t have many science or culture civs in the mix, but I figured the AI in general would have been tuned to build more science and culture districts to stay competitive with the increased costs. I am a bit disappointed, because I had hoped the new change would have made the late game flow better.
What difficulty level? This seems typical for me for a game on king when I'm not focusing on fast science. I'm not feeling much of a difference in my current king-level game - I could research industrial age techs at the end of the global medieval era (although I'm waiting to finish any for the era score for the next era). The only thing I'm noticing is that it seems that two or three civs were slowed by barbs (of nine opponents on large map).

Note: They changed the structure of the mod today: You can no longer use only some components individually but only the whole mod. That's unfortunate, I do not like the great people screen and some other details. And I could not continue my current game.
I loaded and can continue my current game without problems. But first I unsubscribed from the mod, deleted Mod folder and Mods.sqlite file and verified game files in Steam (that's the way to make the game forget it ever had any mods), then subscribed to the updated CUI mod.
If you don't like some elements, the mod author explained in the discussion how to find and delete them.

Preparing to re-take the city with a galley for an easy kill on your land melee unit, I guess?

Or... maybe... the AI is... dumb...

Well to be honest they did take out an archer, but moving them one tile away from the cost and shooting solved the problem.

Observations on the increase in late-game tech cost: So, I fear the concerns about raising the tech/civic costs in mid- to late-game may be coming to fruition, at least with games in epic/marathon. I believe the change was made originally in order for players to better match the Global Era with where one is on individual era. However, I am noticing with my current games that the AI isn’t adapting to the cost increase well, which affects the Global Era timer greatly.

In my current game, I just hit modern era techs and civics while the Global Era is still in Renaissance. Looking at the AI on the tech/civic trees, there are some really bad stragglers, (i.e. Germany just discovered Metal Casting, while I am just about to hit Flight). Granted, I don’t have many science or culture civs in the mix, but I figured the AI in general would have been tuned to build more science and culture districts to stay competitive with the increased costs. I am a bit disappointed, because I had hoped the new change would have made the late game flow better.

I can confirm this. My level 5 game with the Ottomans on standard speed looks about the same. In earlier game versions Scotland was always very far ahead but in this new game after the patch it is like Phoenix1595 said.

Am I the only one experiencing World Congress not gathering up in Middle Ages?

What difficulty level? This seems typical for me for a game on king when I'm not focusing on fast science. I'm not feeling much of a difference in my current king-level game - I could research industrial age techs at the end of the global medieval era (although I'm waiting to finish any for the era score for the next era). The only thing I'm noticing is that it seems that two or three civs were slowed by barbs (of nine opponents on large map).

King. I finished the game last night, almost inadvertently. Without really trying, I had a cultural victory because nobody else even bothered with culture at all. In the end, I was hitting Atomic myself when the Renaissance on the Global Era finally ended.

Maybe it was this particular game, so I need to play a few more to see if the situation replicates. However, it seemed odd. I have never had an instance where the game was so one-sided that a premature victory and vastly beating the Era timer was an issue. Usually, at least one or two civs keep up, even on an easier setting.

There is a bay between my lands and Japan in my current game. Hojo has shocked the hell out of me by sending wave after wave of naval units to attack my coastal cities. Since the AI rarely seemed to utilize a navy much I didn't have many ships built to defense myself. I bet I've fought back 40+ ships (privateers, mostly, because I think he's lacking in strategic resources) so far with my cannons and city defenses (and a small handful of ships), but it was close for awhile and he's been pillaging like crazy. Stupid jerk won't declare peace, either, even though my military strength is well above his now.

I'd say the AI has vastly improved in it's ability to use the seas (though maybe Hojo's always been like this and I've just never noticed before).

I haven't played in a while but aid requests on Deity are almost impossible to win. 15k gold wasn't enough to get 1st place.

I've had to run send aid projects in all my cities as well as gifting all my gold to win those projects. Even that isn't enough sometimes and it sets you back in other ways.

There is a bay between my lands and Japan in my current game. Hojo has shocked the hell out of me by sending wave after wave of naval units to attack my coastal cities. Since the AI rarely seemed to utilize a navy much I didn't have many ships built to defense myself. I bet I've fought back 40+ ships (privateers, mostly, because I think he's lacking in strategic resources) so far with my cannons and city defenses (and a small handful of ships), but it was close for awhile and he's been pillaging like crazy. Stupid jerk won't declare peace, either, even though my military strength is well above his now.

I'd say the AI has vastly improved in it's ability to use the seas (though maybe Hojo's always been like this and I've just never noticed before).

I had the same thing happen with my Arabia on one coast versus Spain armadas in the opposite landmass. Luckily I had edged him out in science so my Ironclads came online at the right time.

Created a map using the Worldbuilder (Huge Map, Continent) under Gathering Storm mode. However, noted that some of the GS features did not work. Noted that the river names did not appear when playing the game and the river flooding did not occur.

Created a map using the Worldbuilder (Huge Map, Continent) under Gathering Storm mode. However, noted that some of the GS features did not work. Noted that the river names did not appear when playing the game and the river flooding did not occur.

Total newbie question, but I made a map in world builder.. how do I actually play a game with the map I made? I don’t see an option to import it when creating a game.

Also, did the developers ever comment if they will fix the RND for England?

I think you have to explicitly set a tile as being a flood plain to trigger flooding.

Total newbie question, but I made a map in world builder.. how do I actually play a game with the map I made? I don’t see an option to import it when creating a game.

Give it a unique name in World Builder in the Map Details window (the button at the upper left opens it, then click the Text tab) and save it. You'll see it in the list of maps when you Create Game right alongside the Firaxis ones.

Give it a unique name in World Builder in the Map Details window (the button at the upper left opens it, then click the Text tab) and save it. You'll see it in the list of maps when you Create Game right alongside the Firaxis ones.

Thank you!

2kqa_a was just updated. Presumed hotfix.

Royal navy dockyard perhaps? What else might be in a hotfix?

That. I think maybe the Maori/ lumbermill thing.

No. There have been a few QA updates. If this is a hotfix, I would guess next week Thursday if all goes well with testing, except that that is July 4 and no one will be in the office at Firaxis or 2K. So I really don't know.

The hard part about waiting for this “hotfix” or mini-patch is that, given FXS track record over massively overachieving this year post GS, and Ed’s comments on twitter, we know that this patch will probably have more than just a fix of the RND issue and some Maori tweaks.

I mean. It’s not going to be another massive balance rework. But it probably is going to do some balancing nevertheless.

So. Tricky to find the right spot on the excitement spectrum. I guess somewhere between “no big thing” and “bag full of coked-up weasels”.

Top Bottom