K-Mod: Far Beyond the Sword

I had the space ship built, completed, but I didn't launch it because I was going to win cultural in a few turns. I was conquering an enemy civ, when he sabotaged one of my rocket parts.

The weird thing is, he sabotaged it in one of the cities I had just conquered. That makes no sense.

I can understand sabotaging production, that would have to happen in the city it was being built. But once it is completed, what city does it reside in? The capital? The city where you built the Apollo Project?

But I cannot understand how he could sabotage it from one of his own cities, which I had just conquered, and was still in anarchy. It's not like my rocket was taking a USO tour.

I've just noticed that inflation doesn't actually apply to corporation maintenance. It's first deflated in CvCity::calculateCorporation~ MaintenanceTimes100(CorporationTypes), then inflated by the same percentage along with all other maintenance costs in CvPlayer::calculateInflatedCosts. See also http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=249397. Apparently, BtS patch 3.13 created this situation after coporations were found to be too costly. The user interface shows the deflated cost in the city screen, and the inflated cost in the financial advisor. This is bad because it suggests that corporation maintenance increases over time, which it does not. For David's game, this means that corp. maintenance will not increase further unless the populations or resources increase.

Huh. What is the calculation for max population?

<Define>
<DefineName>SCORE_POPULATION_FACTOR</DefineName>
<!--Score you get if you have the 'maximum' population possible on the current map-->
<iDefineIntVal>5000</iDefineIntVal>
</Define>

It seems the game gives a HUGE scoring reward for achieving max population on the entire map. Funny, that seems to conflict with giving global warming penalties
for population, regardless of whether or not they are actually using fossil fuels.

What assumptions does the game make when calculating the max pop? Does it assume all trees are chopped down, and all land turned to farmland? Does it assume sushi in every city, with all seafood and rice accessed?

I've just noticed that inflation doesn't actually apply to corporation maintenance. It's first deflated in CvCity::calculateCorporation~ MaintenanceTimes100(CorporationTypes), then inflated by the same percentage along with all other maintenance costs in CvPlayer::calculateInflatedCosts. See also http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=249397. Apparently, BtS patch 3.13 created this situation after coporations were found to be too costly. The user interface shows the deflated cost in the city screen, and the inflated cost in the financial advisor. This is bad because it suggests that corporation maintenance increases over time, which it does not. For David's game, this means that corp. maintenance will not increase further unless the populations or resources increase.

What about the total corp costs shown in the financial advisor? My cities are still growing, and I continue to gain resources. There are still a few fish on the map not being worked. Also, for mining, every now and then I get the new resource discovered thing, from hills with mines.

I can assure you though that inflation keeps increasing, even though my city income is mostly capped. I'll post an update to financial data soon, after I play a few more turns.

EDIT:
WOW. Looking at that post, corp costs grow with city size. So, as my sushi makes my cities bigger, the cost grows geometrically. That's silly, unless you use caste system. Then you can have more merchants. Otherwise, city growth isn't going to provide much income. You can build wealth, each citizen gives a hammer, but that won't keep up with corp costs.

First off, I tried setting GLOBAL_WARMING_PROB to 0 in BTS GlobalDefines.xml. It did not turn off "global warming". If I'm changing the wrong thing, someone please point me in the right direction.

I've said all along that the GW code doesn't make sense, and it is biased against long games, or people who like to build. My position is it makes long term empires unsustainable, so it breaks one major facet of the game. Granted, not everybody plays alike, but the settings are there to play long games, so they shouldn't be broken.

So, the game tells me I have a sustainability of 28,470. Working backwards:

-1140 (electricity penalty, I only have electricity in a small percentage of my cities)
-----------
-340 (building penalties) I have recycling in almost all cities
------------
+6000 offsets (trees and jungles. I had more, but I added them in world builder. the comp civs cut down all their trees and build workshops. with no ability to plant forests, you're stuck with what's left, even if you preserve yours).
------------
32,990 Okay, this is your max possible penalty for population, at 10 points/pop point.

3299/263 cities = 12.54. So, if my average city size exceeds 12.54, then global warming is inevitable, even with little electricity, NO access to coal or oil, and almost all cities with recycling. With electricity in every city, the average would be 10.4.

I only have electricity in a small percentage of my cities (I have 263 cities on a huge map). A size 17 city is 2,787,000 people, according to the city screen. Most of my cities are size 30+, not having electricity in them is kinda flaky, at best. Note: the game doesn't care where you get electricity. Hydro or 3 Gorges counts against you bad. There are no wind turbines, tidal hydro power, or fusion plants, and even if you had them, if the penalty was no different than hydro, you'd still get GW penalties.

Note that you can't just build more cities, and keep them under 10, it is total pop that matters. Also, if you build on a hill that later turns out to have coal, or a grassland that later has oil, you're screwed. It will give access to oil and/or coal in all your cities, once you have trade routes over ocean, and you can't unbuild your own cities.

If you have access to coal, you get 2 unhealth with a factory, at -20 each, and one more for industrial park (which requires a factory). That's a -60 penalty, equivalent to 6 population points. So, you can do without factories, or you can reduce your city population to 6.54 (or 4.54 with industrial park). Note that you get these penalties from the buildings, even if you have recycling centers, which are supposed to remove all unhealth from buildings.

If you break any of these limits, GW is inevitable, and will eventually ruin the map.

Earlier I said it will eventually turn your land to desert, but I decided to confirm that, as it was a (educated) guess. I went into worldbuilder, removed all the forests/jungle, and turned everything to plains.

Now, under a real climate shift to warmer temps, we'd have greater evaporation from the oceans, and more total rainfall on land than we have now. It's distribution would probably shift, but that water has to go somewhere. My guess is the most likely result would be more areas like the Amazon, hot, humid, steamy, with rain every day. Some areas would see drying, probably, but it would be more than compensated for by enhanced grown in other areas.

Not in Civ4. All it did was turn plains to desert, randomly, all over the map. Not a single desert turned to grass (as is currently happening in places around the Sahara right now), not a single plains turned to grassland, forest, or jungle. GW is VERY one-sided, and prejudiced against large empires.

The functioning of the Civ4 GW code shows an innate bias against building, and against a sustainable civilization. It is arbitrary, capriciously so, and destructive to long term game play.

This isn't the fault of karadoc, it's what Firaxis did. But it ought to be fixed. Karadoc is such a good modder, I've been hoping he'd take a whack at it.

First off, I tried setting GLOBAL_WARMING_PROB to 0 in BTS GlobalDefines.xml. It did not turn off "global warming". If I'm changing the wrong thing, someone please point me in the right direction.
Sorry about the misinformation. Hopefully, somebody else knows how to do it; my next best guess would be to change the parameters starting with "GLOBAL_WARMING" in \Beyond the Sword\Mods\K-Mod\Assets\xml\GlobalDefines_Alt.xml, in particular GLOBAL_WARMING_POPULATION_WEIGHT.
Also, never mind that:
me said:
The user interface shows the deflated cost in the city screen, and the inflated cost in the financial advisor.
It's what I had concluded from the source code. I've loaded a game now; can't tell which costs show up where. :confused:

SCORE_POPULATION_FACTOR doesn't seem to be an "all or nothing" reward. From CvGameTextMgr::setScoreHelp:
Code:
iPopScore = (GC.getDefineINT("SCORE_POPULATION_FACTOR") * iPop) / iMaxPop;
I.e. the closer Pop is to MaxPop, the greater the PopScore. FWIW, the MaxPop computation is this (I haven't verified that the function is actually called etc.; just from taking a cursory look):
Spoiler :
Code:
CvGame::initScoreCalculation() {
	int iMaxFood = 0;
	for(int i = 0; i < GC.getMap().numPlots(); i++) {
		CvPlot* pPlot = GC.getMap().plotByIndex(i);
		if(!pPlot->isWater() || pPlot->isAdjacentToLand())
			iMaxFood += pPlot->calculateBestNatureYield(YIELD_FOOD, NO_TEAM);
	}
	m_iMaxPopulation = getPopulationScore(iMaxFood / std::max(1, GC.getFOOD_CONSUMPTION_PER_POPULATION()));
The food yields for all plots are summed up except for non-coastal water plots. Features such as jungle are assumed to be removed if they would lower the food yield. However, tile improvements don't factor in. That sum is halved because each citizen consumes two food. You can probably get a lot more population than that through improvements and corps. I think it's just supposed to be a rough measure of the map's food richness, intended to ensure that playing on a dry map isn't a handicap in terms of score.

Quick question about this mod. I know I have RFC, FFH2, Final Frontier, and Pie's Ancient Europe if I want something different from Civ 4.

However, what I'm also wanting is something as close to vanilla BTS as possible with better AI. I found this modcomp that literally merges BUG, BULL, and Better AI. Then I see K-mod and kinda wonder is this what I want instead? I've seen this game has a reputation of being a lot harder. Is it hard in a fair way or what?

However, what I'm also wanting is something as close to vanilla BTS as possible with better AI. I found this modcomp that literally merges BUG, BULL, and Better AI. Then I see K-mod and kinda wonder is this what I want instead? I've seen this game has a reputation of being a lot harder. Is it hard in a fair way or what?

If you want to play something close to BTS, then K-Mod is most likely what you want. This mod has completely replaced stock BTS for me and many other players.

I think K-Mod contains all the features of BUG and was first built upon Better AI so you won't be missing anything from those.

AI is better so it is harder, but K-Mod AI cheats less than stock BTS AI so K-Mod AI is actually both better and more fair when compared to stock BTS AI. Besides AI improvements, K-Mod contains significant improvements to user interface, countless bugfixes and balance fixes and this improves the game so much that I often find it frustrating to play other mods which don't include these K-Mod features.

I wholeheartedly recommend this mod to anyone who wants to play BTS.

I wholeheartedly recommend this mod to anyone who wants to play BTS.
I recommend everyone try this Mod but it feels very different to BTS now, Karadoc has done an amazing job but it's a very different game. If you like BTS you may or may not enjoy K-Mod but definitely give it a go. If you're playing MP you should definitely play K-Mod due to the work that has been done on OOS errors.

It may be because I haven't played vanilla BtS in a long while, but K-Mod doesn't feel all that different to me. Of course the better AI and more comfortable interface make it a different experience, but the actual "content" in terms of game elements is really close to BtS.

OK, so here's a dumb question. How do I use Blue Marble with this? The OP says to place the file into the assets folder, and that didn't seem to do anything.

Are you sure you have the right Assets folder? It is Mods/K-Mod/Assets/.

What do you mean by decompress, just unzipping it?

Also, here's something really bizarre. I mean, I'm bad at Civ so this might be normal. Maybe this is something K-Mod changed, maybe it's the original game. I can link up cities through a river without researching the sailing tech. Why?

What do you mean by decompress, just unzipping it?

Yes.

Also, here's something really bizarre. I mean, I'm bad at Civ so this might be normal. Maybe this is something K-Mod changed, maybe it's the original game. I can link up cities through a river without researching the sailing tech. Why?

That shouldn't happen in K-Mod.

A question from a guy who mainly works with XML and very occasionally dabbles in Python. As you probably know, a version of K-Mod is included in Realism Invictus. Lately I have seen, for instance, that all leaders raze cities, regardless of appropriate XML variable being set to 0 for them - so I guess that variable is no longer exposed to any meaningful code, or at least not in the way it was.

So, my question is: could you provide a list of vanilla XML variables that no longer have any meaning in K-Mod? I have a suspicion that at least various WarRands might not be working anymore as well.

Hey, Karadoc, I was wondering if you have played any Civ 5 and thought of doing any work on the AI there. I had only dabbled in Civ 5 and I just played a game the other day on emperor difficulty and it was a complete joke... I was just toying with the AI by the end, hitting them with giant death robots, nukes, and Xcom squads while they had WW1 units.

I don't want to turn up the difficulty because, as in Civ 4, that makes certain strategies impossible, like building any of the early game wonders. I have fond memories of Kmod for Civ4... wow was it difficult, you did such an excellent job. If you've done any work on the Civ5 AI I'd love to try it. Otherwise, how's it going? What are you up to these days? Designing AI for those new military robots? ;)

Trying to teach my son Civ and getting very tired of OOS errors...every time there's an attack, every time we land a unit on another land mass....etc. So, I've seen multiple mentions of this mod to maybe alleviate these problems. So, here I am.

Questions....so the 2011 file is the most recent? Also, if installed on both computers....will our current save files work, or would we only be able to start anew? Is there a command line listed somewhere to auto start this mod, like I do with Buffy? I assume this works on top of Buffy....I hope.

Top Bottom