K-Mod: Far Beyond the Sword

Great idea, i also support cease bother us.
I have the exstractet part from revdcm, someone made it a stand alone.
Please, if you can give me instruction and download link, do so= you will make my life better before our fantastic mod author gonna implement such changes (if ever), thanks

lol, you cant just overwrite the files!
its two different mods, you need to merge the dll files, compile it,then merge the python files and the xmls......
its not an easy task...
oK I am no going to do that, but thx anyway (I mean it)

if you find time to do so for yourself please share

best

I think that there is a problem somewhere in worker AI logic for scrubbing fallout.
It seems that AI doesn't take into account that fallout is blocking improvements from being built (i.e. it has bNoImprovement set to 1). I suspect that because when a city is hit by a nuke and it is starving because its farms are destroyed the AI chooses to tear down all other improvements to replace them with farms instead of simply scrubbing the fallout and building farms there. Sometimes it also does silly things like building railroads on all fallout tiles while scrubbing exactly zero of them. Sometimes it does scrub fallout, but it seems to do that only when it is content with all other improvements/railroads and when it has took time to replace all mines with windmills etc. (in the case when farms are destroyed).
Difference between removing forests/jungles and removing fallout is that for forests/jungles it is possible to do that using the improvement build (and that mechanic would be very inefficient for fallout anyway because it wouldn't be removed until the build is finished), so is it possible that currently the AI doesn't actually take into account that removing fallout would open up space for improvements? Because I didn't find anything like that in the code.

(One other thing concerning fallout is that fallout+levee still gives 1h although that tile+levee without fallout wouldn't have more than 3h, how many the fallout is supposed to subtract.)

Has there been an update to the Kmod? last time I checked the forums Karadoc had to optional update to kmod, but I cant seem to find that post or any more recent updates. Kmod is the best mod Ive ever played for civ4. My vote has always been for a play to win AI, especially an AI that might realize you are about to win and tries to stop you, but the variety and role play from the kmod AI increases replay-ability dramatically.

The last change on git has been 11/06/16.

I really like this mod but at the same time I miss some of the UI feature that I was used to. Namely the score board showing civs' strength comparison and the "faces" indicating our relationship. Is there any chance I could have it both? This mod and the better UI?

I'm pretty sure I've played K-Mod with these UI changes. Are you sure they aren't just disabled in the BUG settings?

I'm pretty sure I've played K-Mod with these UI changes. Are you sure they aren't just disabled in the BUG settings?

That'll be it. These things really should be enabled by default. Let people get the hint and disable what they don't want.

Has there been an update to the Kmod? last time I checked the forums Karadoc had to optional update to kmod, but I cant seem to find that post or any more recent updates.

That optional update was "beta" of v1.45 when the latest version was v1.44b. Those optional changes were (almost all) included in the current version, v1.45 which is available through the link in the first post.
So if the last time you were here the newest thing was that optional update, then the current version now is more recent than that.

Last edited:
Wow, this mod is brutal. Came back to IV after 7 or so years and might be a little rusty, but getting my ass handled to me on noble? What the actual...

I can't beat technologically backwards Khmer to the east of me :cry: They don't have iron or copper, I have both, then I had maces and pikes, while they had horse archers and archers and still I couldn't beat them. Finally after one of my cities exchanging hands back and forth, another being destroyed and one of their border cities exchanging hands back and forth and then back and forth again, I managed to take one of their core cities and it was a nightmare to do as they kept picking off my reinforcements on their way there with their stupid horse archers :mad: They managed to outwit and surprise me out of 5 trebuchets at least. Then they go and hide behind Monty :cringe: i.e. offer themselves as vassals to him :cry:

He's to my west and now I'm sandwiched between them. While I muster all I can in that city on our border to the west, he then proceeds to dance around in the woods and hills around the city in packs of 3-5 and 6-8 units then retreats... Only to appear again later in a couple of turns. At that time Khmer manages to surprise attack with just 2-3 horse archers (those !#¤%& horse archers!) that other border city of theirs, whom I the idiot left with one crossbow to defend thinking "it's not a front-line city, they'd need to get through that other one. Well they didn't have a problem circumventing that front-line city and attacking from another direction (north that is) at all! I send 6 pikes (just to be sure) there immediately to take care of those 2 pissy horse archers... and what do you know, by the time I reach them (2 turns!!!), they have 2 longbows there as well?! I die a little inside and go make me some tea. I can't take that city, it still has intact walls :cry: :mad: Remember me saying Monty coming back? He did, at that same time, with a quadrupled army of what I saw before. I think screw you guy, I should be fine, I have all kinds of units in THAT city. Well they all died... and as the last unit fell, who happened to be a knight under great general, so fell my holy city and my dreams, so did Sitting Bull became a Sh.. well you know that one... and so did my game, literally, it crashed. Ultimate rage-quit.

Overall 10/10, would rage and die inside again.

Hi karadoc. I just registered here to say that I'm really excited to play your superb mod after reading a little about it, thank you.

And to report a wording error: financial adviser screen provides value named "Foreign Trade" while I have no foreign trades (no open borders signed), showing my domestic trade value there. If it's meant to show the total of all trade routes, you may want to call it "trade routes" or simply "trade". Or splitting it into one value for foreign and a different value for domestic trades is an option too.

It's probably not worth your time, but just for when you're looking into something there anyway.

I gave this mod another try, after failing to install it correctly before. I presumed that the entire folder named "K-Mod v.1.45" should be copied into "Beyond the Sword\Mods\". But "K-Mod v.1.45" contains three files, one folder named "K-Mod", one .ini-file and one .bak-file. Just moving these three to the \Mods-folder corrected the issue, but are the .ini and .bak-file really supposed to be in the "\Mods"-folder, outside of the "K-mod"-folder?

No, those files shouldn't even be in the archive.

So should I just delete them? Why are they there in the first place?
I guess you should. Perhaps you've downloaded it in the wrong place? Check the first post of this thread for the correct link.

Just a general question. Can I speed up the scrolling across the map using the mouse or keyboard? Ive looked under options and the bug menu and didnt see anything that might help so far.

Congratulations on an amazing project, Karadoc!! I've been playing the K-Mod for years - your dedication (along with so many others) keeps me coming back to the Civ 4 Community :thumbsup:

I hope I've done a thorough check in the discussion thread, but I'd like to ask if anyone could please help me bring my woes to an end: Is it possible to add religions to the K-Mod?

I believe I've correctly managed the XML and the GameFont.tga files, so that I get several added religions, properly represented by their GameFont.tga icons, along with their correct buildings, missionaries, etc. But as soon as I start adding icons in the GameFont_75.tga file, the game gets wonky :crazyeye: I'm using Asaf's Game Font Editor. Once I fire up the game, depending how I've modified, green smiley faces appear before any and all text, icons are mismatched (e.g. yellow smiley instead of the flexing bicep icon for unit strength), and/or icons don't appear, causing text overlay. It also tends to default to white oversized font for announcing in-game events. I actually do get the religion icons correctly matched, but it's not that much fun with all the interface eyesores :cringe:

If I don't modify the GameFont_75.tga file, the corporation icons replace the religion icons. For example, when I attempt to merge K-Mod with JARM (leaving K-Mod's GameFont_75.tga file unaltered), the religion Pesedjet is given the Aluminum Co. icon, Aesir Myth is represented by Sid's Sushi, and so on. While not ideal, the rest of the mod looks good and is functionally smooth.

From what I've read and understand, the game is just going down the list (script?) and matching Religion #1 with the first two religion icons (i.e. Judaism unstarred and starred) in the respective gamefont tga's. Likewise for corporations. What I'm fuzzy about is where/how exactly the icons I add in GameFont_75.tga become disruptive to K-Mod.

I’m upgraded to the latest K-Mod release (v1.45 5/Oct/2016) and I’m also running it with a merged Varietas Delectat. I've seen in other threads that I may need to alter CvGameCoreDLL.dll (and/or python files?), but if that kinda stuff isn't arcane black magic, I'm pretty sure it's beyond my capabilities for the foreseeable future... :borg:

Thank you very much in advance to any intrepid soul/ modding demigod who hears my :religion: and can reassure me that a religion merge for K-Mod isn't just a pipe dream :love:

Top Bottom