KeepRes=-1, Video Mode=1600

Games (or other software) can run at resolutions higher than your desktop rez. They can't do it in the manner that Civ appears to be using where it is a basic "window", but with some coding changes it would certainly be possible. The question was just whether or not they had implemented anything like that or not.

Full 3D games generally support any resolution because they might as well... they already need to run in a mode that supports that to have their own graphics engine. Non 3D games often don't since it's easier to just be a "window".

Do you know of any game, that actually overrides resolution/frequency settings?
As those are factors which *could* have an immediate impact to your graphics card / display combination, this seems to be a little bit risky, doesn't it?

Originally posted by Commander Bello
Your desktop resolution (typically set with some tools of your graphic card) constitutes the upper limit of the resolution.
That's not really true. Most monitors have a recommended resolution, and if he is running in that he should probably be able to use a higher resolution if he so wish (if his card supports it).

Your desktop isn't always at the highest possible resolution.

Originally posted by Grey Fox
That's not really true. Most monitors have a recommended resolution, and if he is running in that he should probably be able to use a higher resolution if he so wish (if his card supports it).

Your desktop isn't always at the highest possible resolution.

Sorry, of course you are right.

I just was unprecise with my statement. Since I tend to have the maximum resolution set on my default settings, I've taken that at given...

Ouch! If I was running max resolution (1600x1200 with my current card) on my desktop with a 17" monitor, most text would be much too small to see :)

Ok.. 1600*1200 is really a high resolution... :)

Optimum for my 17" tft display is 1280*1024, and I have to say, I LOVE it :)

Originally posted by Commander Bello
Ok.. 1600*1200 is really a high resolution... :)

Optimum for my 17" tft display is 1280*1024, and I have to say, I LOVE it :)
Agreed, Bello. Your 17" LCD has the same visible size as my 19" CRT, and I love my 1280*1024 resolution. Although my next monitor will be bigger :D

Yeti try to have Video Mode=1280 not as last line, I had the same Problem. But with
KeepRes=1
Video Mode=1280
MapZoom=0

it worked fine.

Tapsel,

You're saying that with those 3 lines in that order the game came up in 1280x1024 mode, even though your desktop is at a resolution lower than that?

I can get it to work fine with any resolution up to where my desktop is set, but I don't believe it supports using resolutions higher than the desktop rez.

I just added KeepRes=1 and things are looking great. I was surprised that I could actually see more of the screen during the game than before (I thought it would force the game view into a smaller window with black edges).

If KeepRes was good, then PlayIntro=0 is genuis. Best thing I've done to improve the game.

Thanks for posting this info.:goodjob:

Yeti: no my desktop resolution is higher than the one I choose for Conquest. So I can play conquest in a windows like mode.

But it wont work if I dont use KeepRes=1, I would like to play Conquest in a lower resolution (1200) than my Desktop but in full screen.

I have little problem with "keepres=1".
When I use it, colour of text becomes weird.

Here's screenshot:

Attachments

• clr.jpg
    clr.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 531
This should be a sticky. Great thread.

It will take me a while to get used to playing at my desktop resolution of 1280x1024 though. :)

Originally posted by Grohan
I have little problem with "keepres=1".
When I use it, colour of text becomes weird.

my text is that color, too. i didn't notice if it was different before i changed the game resolution or not. the color's not that bad...

My desktop is 1600x1200, my card supports almost double that, my 19" trinitron monitor doesn't go higher than 2138xSomething (dunno for sure, but why should I?), I'm satisfied with 1600x1200, anistrophic filtering and FSAA :cool:

kring said:
Mike B Thread on ini

VideoMode=1280
Can be 1024, 1152, 1280, 1600, 1792. Changes the game's resolution to the value specified (instead of the default 1024x768).
Only the following resolutions are supported with this command:
1024x768
1152x864
1280x1024
1600x1200
1792x1344
After wrestling with this parameter a long time, thinking it didn't work, I noticed one of the posters having the quote from their INI file as Video Mode=1024. Note the space between Video and Mode. I think this will solve the issue for many people. When I inserted the space, it worked like a charm.

People who think that VideoMode doesn't work: You are right. Insert the space and Video Mode will work for you, too.

Ah, great tips! At last my game is in 1400* ! I've tried playing zooming out sometimes, but you lose a lot of detail that way.

:crazyeye:
... would someone kindly explain windowed mode in steps to me, and from scratch pleeze?... if possible maybe please?... my screen resolution is 1024 by 764 with 32 bits color quality... oh, and i play civ III (not conquest, but the normal one) that is patched with version 1.29f...

... i dont know even where to start... :( ... but would greatly appreciate any help... thank you!...

:)

This is why we created the Tech Support FAQ. :) Your .ini file will be in C:/Program Files/Infogrames Interactive/Civilization III/. In that folder, you should see a file called civilization3.ini. Right click it, and select "Open With". Open it in Notepad. Then, at the bottom, add the following line:

Video Mode=1280

(1280 means 1280 x 1024). You could also put any of the following instead of 1280:

You do *not* need KeepRes=1.

:)
... thank u so much for responding, ginger ale... :) ... however, i went exactly as you described but there is no "ini" file in there... :sad:...

... sorry for troubling... plz advise... ::sighs::... yeah, again...

:blush:

Top Bottom