What Video Games Have You Been Playing? #23: Lost in Shalebridge Cradle

Livonia, 1601:

Spoiler :

20240424135319_1.jpg

See also: The Two Sicilie and a free and independent Champagne.

A solution has been found to the southern border question. For decades, centuries even, Lithuania has been on our southern border. For most of the 1500s, they were weak, but it wasn't ideal, for two reasons. The lesser reason is that they hated us, saying that we controlled Lithuania proper, which by later years had been a fact of life for longer than anyone could remember. The other was that their weakness meant the door was open to the Ottomans in particular, but perhaps the Crimeans or Horde or Bohemians, to take over their lands whenever they felt like it, resulting in a hostile neighbor, especially if the Ottomans or Bohemians were the ones to take action.

So, we were looking for good options. Allying with the Horde had long been on the table, and became plausible after secularization. But they weren't particularly strong, and allying with the infidel still rubbed the Landmeister-turned-zealous-King the wrong way. Lithuania had been splintering, however, with Polotsk, Chernigov, Zaporozhia, and Galicia-Volhnyia, in clockwise order, gaining independence.

Zaporozhia was our first choice. Located in the south, and a Republic that cared less about differing religions, they would be a nice bulwark. But, while we were busy conquering Prussia, the Crimeans declared war on them. We hurried to make peace, leaving the task of conquering Westpreußen unfinished, and offered the Crimeans an alliance, which they accepted. But before they could call us to arms (maybe all their diplomats were on faraway missions), the Crimeans achieved 100% war score and annexed them. Back to the drawing board.

Galicia-Volhnyia was our next choice. But, while we were busy conquering Polotsk and occupying Ryazan (whom we converted to Catholic), the Lithuanians declared war on them. A pattern was emerging. Realizing that time was not on our side, rather than making peace and offering them an alliance three days before their defeat, we simply used the army that had occupied Polotsk, and declared a separate war on Lithuania, on whom we had claims, calling in Austria and Hungary to ensure overwhelming force. This was highly successful, and we took all Byelorussian lands controlled by Lithuania, making it our fifth accepted culture (after Latvian, Estonian, Lithuanian, and Prussian; we converted the one Baltic German province to Latvian). With the caveat that Austria lost Gorizia to Venice, but oh well, they can't defeat Venice to save their lives. Then, offering an alliance to Galicia-Volhnyia, we found ourselves called to arms and fighting Lithuania again, resulting in the lovely southern border seen above.

It's not perfect; Galicia-Volhnyia could use a few more forts. But at this point we have secure buffers from both Bohemia and the Ottomans, and have established the limits of our ambition in those directions. The east remains splintered, with some thoughts of trying to make Nizhny Novgorod a partner, and Sweden... oh, Sweden. They declared war on Karelia and Beloozero, and re-conquered the former and took provinces from the latter; we honored the call to arms but did not fight, and peaced out Karelia early, and then broke the alliance in protest. Sweden proceeded to guarantee Beloozero against anyone else's aggression, and would like to renew the alliance. We are of split opinion. They've also made claims on all of Terra Mariana, or Old Livonia, so our trust level of them is not exactly what it used to be; what's to say they won't say "just kidding" should we renew the alliance, head east, and then decide to press those claims some day?

It also finally feels like we're a major power. We've been a Great Power for... 50 years? But it always felt like we could be overwhelmed by a neighbor, most often Bohemia, and needed that strong alliance network. Our inflation was bad in 1500, our corruption was bad in 1575, and our autonomy was high until we realized we had a problem in 1523 (I nerfed the base autonomy reduction in my mod, to -0.05 at peace and 0 at war, so my autonomy was long-term trending up once events were counted in). But in the 1590s, things started crystallizing into a coherent whole. Inflation was 1%. Corruption was low. Technology, long a weak point, was now above average (the mod makes techs cost 750 instead of 600, and severely nerfs neighbor discounts, so there's now a variety of tech levels even within a geographic region). New Livonia has become a good colony providing healthy profits, and New Estonia and our up-and-coming new colony are on their way; New Estonia had even landed some troops in West Africa to help conquer Kong. Thanks to gold, we had lots of profits, even when increasing our European army to a record 36,000, enough to feel secure, and our navy, while not necessarily going to win every battle on the Baltic, was at least close to the same level as Denmark's. The Ottomans were still scary (but we had Hungary to help against them), and we know we don't want to scuffle with Castile in the New World, but we now feel able to hold our own on the world stage, and like we could rock Bohemia's world if we wanted to... oh, wait, what was that?

Castile is the Emperor now. And they will protect Bohemia, unlike Bohemia's arch-rival Austria. And Hungary is allied with Castile, and will help them.

Yeah, so not everything is hunky-dory. The silver lining of the War of the Protestant League is that the two Catholic electors are united together, and they saw fit to elect Castile, with few-to-no Catholic monarchies left in the HRE itself. The King of Castile is getting up there in years, and would need a Pragmatic Sanction to win again, so Livonia is campaigning to become Emperor. We'll see how it goes. For now, Bohemia is, regrettably, still going to control too many Polish lands.

Civ VI: The United Kingdoms of Ndongo and Mali

1750 CE. As the Renaissance Era draws to a close, the Mbundu and Bambara peoples (et al) have enjoyed 1,200 years of peace and prosperity. The Medieval Era was a Heroic Age, and the Renaissance Era was a Golden Age. The empire stretches across 3.5 million sq km, spanning 21 major cities, with more than 10 million citizens. That's about the size of 18th-Century Persia on Earth, although this world is smaller than Earth, so we're the largest country on this world, atm.

Our engineers have constructed massive dams across all five of the empire's great rivers, creating reservoirs of fresh water and controlling the seasonal floodwaters that once plagued our farmers, fishermen, and river traders. The Colossus of Kinshasa welcomes sailors from foreign lands; the Mausoleum of Sanga houses the royal ancestors; the great school at Mbanza Mbata* draws scholars from across the continent; and pilgrims travel great distances to visit our four extraordinary temples, Mont St. Michel, the Mahabodi Temple, Kotoku-in, and the Hagia Sophia. Scholars also recently unearthed the lost pyramid of Chichen Itza, deep in the rainforests near Kindu.

I have twice as many cities as the next-largest countries, and I still have room to grow on this continent, to the south, where it gets cold and windblown (tundra - I'm on the Southern Hemisphere). I could probably found 8 or 10 more cities, if I wanted to. I might, if only to prevent anyone else from getting any ideas. And I suppose there might be oil, aluminum or uranium down there, someday.

My army still consists of men-at-arms, crossbowmen, and trebuchets, but that's where everybody else is, too. Even if other nations start fielding musketmen before I do, the sheer size of my military should be enough of a deterrent. I also have four brigades of Malian warrior monks, from building Kotoku-in. They'll be useless as military assets soon, but it's kind of fun to imagine some kind of West African Shaolin monks. (Technically, the Kotoku-in is a Japanese Buddhist temple, not Chinese, but Japanese Buddhist monks don't practice martial arts. Another place where the developers of Civ VI took some liberties with history, I guess. I don't know why they didn't just call this wonder the Shaolin Monastery, if they wanted it to spawn Warrior Monks, but whatevs.)

In terms of score, I'm way ahead. Although I'm not leading in any of the Victory Conditions, I'm in 2nd or 3rd place, and not far behind in science, culture, religion, and diplomacy. None of the other Civs has taken off in any category. Technically, I'm leading in Domination, but that's only because I'm the only Civ to have taken over another. So I'm pretty much in the pole position to choose my VC. As if on cue, all of my cities are building Industrial Zones right as the Industrial Era is set to begin, taking advantage of the adjacency bonuses afforded by all the dams and aqueducts I've built. Even though I've built all of these religious World Wonders, I think I'm leaning towards a Culture Victory.

* Some know it as the University of Sankoré. This is the only Wonder I've built so far that actually exists in this part of the world, on Earth. irl, it's in Timbuktu, Mali.

Trying The Lonely Mountains Downhill, a game in which the player controls a cyclists trying to make it down the mountain (jumping over gaps, etc) without crashing. Simple and enjoyable enough, but tied to trial-and-error. I don't see a way to control the camera so I can see what's coming up, so it's basically depending on checkpoints and trial/error memorization.

Fallout 4's 'next gen' update is over 14 gigs, breaks modded saves, and doesn't seem to change much at all​

We were expecting problems with mod support, but there are a lot of other issues.

Fallout 4's long promised next gen (really current gen) update is finally here after a two-year wait since its initial announcement, but it's not a winner on PC. We anticipated there would be the usual issues with mod compatibility (see the Fallout London devs delaying their highly anticipated project), but PC players aren't getting much benefit from the ~14.4 gig patch.

Here's a breakdown of the problems I've had myself or noticed others complaining about:

• Issues loading modded saves and using non-Creation Club mods at all, including the essential Fallout 4 Script Extender.
  • The "next gen" patch does not introduce any graphical improvements.
  • The new ultrawide support has a poorly stretched user interface that will require a user made patch⁠—basically the same solution ultrawide gamers were using before the update.
  • Fallout 4's iteration of the Creation engine still doesn't support frame rates over 60fps.
  • The "Weapon Debris" graphics setting still causes the game to crash on RTX cards, an issue that has been present since RTX cards were introduced.

With all of that in mind, was it worth borking mod support and modded saves for this update? Looking at the patch notes, none of the minor bug fixes or added Creation Club content seem to justify the extent of the disruption from this update.

Modders had to similarly scramble to accommodate Skyrim's special edition and The Witcher 3's next gen update, but those patches had more to offer that justified their respective hassles, and The Witcher 3 still lets you download and play the pre-4.0 version of the game to this day. Fallout 4's next gen patch seems to be largely console-focused, introducing better support and options for PS5 and Xbox Series consoles, but I don't see why PC players should have to suffer for that.

I do have to give Bethesda credit for the unambiguously good things here: the collection of bug fixes in the next gen patch does include the resolution of a long-running glitch in the settlement system that modders even had a hard time addressing: "Resolved issue that could cause corruption within the Settlement system resulting in wrong resource counts and/or destroyed settlements." Moving forward, at least there'll be a 1% reduction in Preston Garvey bugging you whenever you come home.

The next gen update also includes some new free quests and gear from Bethesda's premium paid mod Creation Club, with the biggest addition being an Enclave-themed quest and some associated weapons and armor. It reminds me of the Witcher show-themed gear sets that were added in The Witcher 3's own fraught next gen update.

We can likely expect modders to fix their individual projects in the coming days and weeks, but if, like me, you've ever found yourself enamored of an abandonware mod, it might be worth it to delay auto updates on Steam and run Fallout 4 through an alternative launcher like F4SE⁠—absent official tweaks from Bethesda, you may also want to keep an eye out in case a user-made rollback patch shows up on the Nexus.
https://www.pcgamer.com/games/fallo...-saves-and-doesnt-seem-to-change-much-at-all/

Fallout 4's 'next gen' update is over 14 gigs, breaks modded saves, and doesn't seem to change much at all​

We were expecting problems with mod support, but there are a lot of other issues.

Fallout 4's long promised next gen (really current gen) update is finally here after a two-year wait since its initial announcement, but it's not a winner on PC. We anticipated there would be the usual issues with mod compatibility (see the Fallout London devs delaying their highly anticipated project), but PC players aren't getting much benefit from the ~14.4 gig patch.

Here's a breakdown of the problems I've had myself or noticed others complaining about:

• Issues loading modded saves and using non-Creation Club mods at all, including the essential Fallout 4 Script Extender.
  • The "next gen" patch does not introduce any graphical improvements.
  • The new ultrawide support has a poorly stretched user interface that will require a user made patch⁠—basically the same solution ultrawide gamers were using before the update.
  • Fallout 4's iteration of the Creation engine still doesn't support frame rates over 60fps.
  • The "Weapon Debris" graphics setting still causes the game to crash on RTX cards, an issue that has been present since RTX cards were introduced.

With all of that in mind, was it worth borking mod support and modded saves for this update? Looking at the patch notes, none of the minor bug fixes or added Creation Club content seem to justify the extent of the disruption from this update.

Modders had to similarly scramble to accommodate Skyrim's special edition and The Witcher 3's next gen update, but those patches had more to offer that justified their respective hassles, and The Witcher 3 still lets you download and play the pre-4.0 version of the game to this day. Fallout 4's next gen patch seems to be largely console-focused, introducing better support and options for PS5 and Xbox Series consoles, but I don't see why PC players should have to suffer for that.

I do have to give Bethesda credit for the unambiguously good things here: the collection of bug fixes in the next gen patch does include the resolution of a long-running glitch in the settlement system that modders even had a hard time addressing: "Resolved issue that could cause corruption within the Settlement system resulting in wrong resource counts and/or destroyed settlements." Moving forward, at least there'll be a 1% reduction in Preston Garvey bugging you whenever you come home.

The next gen update also includes some new free quests and gear from Bethesda's premium paid mod Creation Club, with the biggest addition being an Enclave-themed quest and some associated weapons and armor. It reminds me of the Witcher show-themed gear sets that were added in The Witcher 3's own fraught next gen update.

We can likely expect modders to fix their individual projects in the coming days and weeks, but if, like me, you've ever found yourself enamored of an abandonware mod, it might be worth it to delay auto updates on Steam and run Fallout 4 through an alternative launcher like F4SE⁠—absent official tweaks from Bethesda, you may also want to keep an eye out in case a user-made rollback patch shows up on the Nexus.
https://www.pcgamer.com/games/fallo...-saves-and-doesnt-seem-to-change-much-at-all/
Yeah, if it breaks mods, it's unusable as far as I'm concerned. Does anybody play Fallout unmodded? (And if so, why? :lol: )

My EU4 game has reached that plateau where the challenges have subsided. Johann Ingrija, the first King of Livonia, has now ruled as King for a quarter century, and for seven years as Landmeister before that. Initially, the agreement was that the deputy Landmeister would be the next King, but Johann outlived his successor, meaning the proviso that his own family was next in line would take effect. The only problem? He had no sons. Fortunately, he has a very talented daughter (6/6/5), Helgi, who has been at least provisionally accepted as the heir. Her name means "holy" or "blessed", and while it may have been chosen for the former given Johann's religiosity, the latter is just as appropriate. This may complicate plans to become Emperor of the Romans, but no one is complaining about having an exceptionally talented heir, and that her also-able father is long-lived is a bonus.

The economy is now truly prosperous, with surpluses of 15 ducats per month with full military funding, or 44 per month with minimal. Thus, Johann has been able to indulge in his priorities - mainly upgrading centers of trade, and building an outer ring of forts, starting with at the mouth of the Neva to deter any fancy ideas from the Swedes, but now completed nearly all the way around. But he has also looked to the east, annexed Tver's one province to the northwest of Moscow, and made Nizhny Novgorod a vassal. The Russian lands, long fragmented, were facing a similar fate to the Ruthenian lands ruled by the exiled Lithuanian dynasty - new powers emerging as a thread. The Golden Horde had already re-applied the Tatar Yoke to a fair extent, making Odoyev a vassal and most of the other princes tributaries, but Uzbek had emerged as the greatest of the hordes to the east, with 40,000 in their army, and as many in reserves, and had made Muscovy their own tributary. Livonia had briefly allied with Uzbek, but Johann was uneasy with alliances with heathens, and his advisors could not come up with sufficient benefits to Livonia to keep the alliance.

Instead, Livonia invaded Muscovy, fought off the Uzbeks, and gave all but one of Muscovy's remaining (not-already-conquered-by-Kazan) provinces to Nizhny Novgorod. This pleased the Nizhny Novgorodians greatly, such that they were willing to acquiesce to Johann's requests that they convert to the one true church, and follow the Pope in Spoleto. They also willingly began spending some of their large war chest on new forts in the area of Moscow, pleasing Johann further. Nizhny Novgorod controlled a great many centers of trade in the area, and it was hoped that eventually they could be persuaded to direct that wealth to the west - but for now, saving their souls and having the area secured was a great victory.

But the Pope in Spoleto, you ask? Yes; Tuscany, save their souls, declared war on the Pope, and the Two Sicilies aided them, sandwiching His Holiness. Genoa did their best and swiped a couple of Milanese provinces, but the Pope was reduced to one province, and it wasn't even Rome. Livonia wished to help, but was busy fighting the Uzbeks.

Johann has consoled himself by spreading Catholicism in West Africa. A couple new provinces have been conquered from Bonoman for that task, and also to provide a source of coffee and tropical wood. Johann also takes comfort in that most of the New World is Catholic, aside from the misguided Anglicans in the English provinces, the natives in the north whom Castile is converting at the point of a sword, and the natives in the south who follow Mayan beliefs and who so far have been left to live life as they please. He also takes heart in the French crown's steadfastness despite encroaching heresies, and has been tempted to ally with France as well as or instead of Burgundy. So far his advisors have persuaded him to toe the existing line, particularly since it was unclear for some time if France really would honor the faith, but as more and more nations pledge to support Dutch independence against Burgundy - Castile, Great Britain, the Ottomans, and the Mamluks - some wonder if perhaps adopting the fleur-de-lis would be a good idea.

Now Johann's trade advisors are informing him that Galicia-Volhnyia would be willing to steer their trade income towards the Baltic. This is an intriguing proposition, as it would be a fair amount of income. Johann somewhat favors the option of simply having them transfer some trade power (46% maximum versus 100%), as weakening our ally's emerging economic base seems questionable; this is also why Mazovia has never been required to transfer any trade wealth to the north; Nizhny Novgorod, by contrast, has 1800 ducats in reserve and a healthy profit. The merchants, of course, desire profits.

Top Bottom