KeepRes=-1, Video Mode=1600

CrystalV

Chieftain
Are there any settings in the conquest.ini file to allow you to modify the games resolution? In Civ3 you could add the KeepRes=-1 and the Video Mode =XXXX and allow greater screen resolution for more map display.

I've looked all over adn found nothing that works. I figured someone in these forums would have already figured this out.

What do you say?

Using KeepRes=1 (not -1) will make the game use your desktop resolution (assuming your desktop resolution is bigger than 1024*786). I use it and it works like a charm.

And use PlayIntro=0 while you're at it. Skips the opening video.

Mike B of Firaxis posted these settings:

Mike B Thread on ini

Originally posted by Mike Breitkreutz FIRAXIS
OK, here's a list of all the INI settings for Conquests (some of these may not be in Civ3 or PTW). I'm not sure if these are documented anywhere or not (probably some of them are in the readme)... I just write the code. ;)

Voice Quality=0
Can be 0-7. Used for voice chat.

KeepRes=1
Can be 0 or 1. If 1, your screen resolution is used for the game instead of the default 1024x768.

Video Mode=1280
Can be 1024, 1152, 1280, 1600, 1792. Changes the game's resolution to the value specified (instead of the default 1024x768).
Only the following resolutions are supported with this command:
1024x768
1152x864
1280x1024
1600x1200
1792x1344

Refresh=70
Changes the default refresh rate of your monitor. Do not change/add this line unless you are experiencing problems!

ScrollSpeed=1
Can be 0, 1, or 2. This is the Map Scroll Speed preference.

Prefs Format=1
This is the prefs version number. It should always be 1 (for now).

Difficulty=7
The difficulty level used in the last game played. The numbers correspond to the difficulty levels in the editor (starting at 0).

Aggression=4
The aggression level used in the last game played. The numbers correspond to the levels (starting at 0).

Top Menu=3
The last selected main menu item. The first menu item is 0.

QuickStart=0
Can be 0 or 1. If 1, the menu screens are bypassed and the game acts as if QuickStart was selected.

Faction0=5
Faction1=8
Faction2=1
Faction3=7
Faction4=9
Faction5=2
Faction6=6
Faction7=3
Faction8=4
Faction9=32
Faction10=32
Faction11=32
Faction12=32
Faction13=32
Faction14=32
Faction15=32
Faction16=-1
Faction17=-1
Faction18=-1
Faction19=-1
Faction20=-1
Faction21=-1
Faction22=-1
Faction23=-1
Faction24=-1
Faction25=-1
Faction26=-1
Faction27=-1
Faction28=-1
Faction29=-1
Faction30=-1

The civ selected for each of the players in the last game played. Faction0 is the human player. The values can range from -1 to 32. -1 is NONE, 32 is RANDOM, 0-31 correspond to the civs in the order they are listed in the editor.

num cities to eliminate=1
one city culture to win=20000
all cities culture to win=100000
domination pct terrain=66
domination % pop=66
building wonders=10
killing units=10
researching advances=5
capture cities=100
holding vp locations=25
capturing princess=1000
Victory Point Limit=50000
Turn Limit=540

Default victory condition settings. All of these can be changed in-game by clicking the ''Game Limits'' button.

Preference
These are bit flags corresponding to the preferences. I'm not going to detail each flag...

Rule
These are bit flags corresponding to the game rules (enabled victory conditions and so forth).

CleanMap=00000000000000011010111010000000
These are bit flags corresponding to the clean map preferences (accessed in game with ctrl-shift-n).

Governor=00000000000000000000000000000000
These are bit flags corresponding to the governor settings (the main page).

Gov Prod Never=00000000000000000000000000011000
These are bit flags corresponding to the items the governor should NEVER produce.

Gov Prod Often=00000000000000000000000000000000
These are bit flags corresponding to the items the governor should produce OFTEN.

CustomLeaderName=
CustomLeaderTitle=
CustomFormalName=
CustomNoun=
CustomAdjective=
CustomGender=1

These are the settings for your custom civ setting (if you rename your leader, etc.).

WorldAridity=2
BarbarianActivity=0
WorldLandmass=1
WorldOceanCoverage=0
WorldTemperature=2
WorldAge=1
WorldSize=2

These are the world settings chosen for your last game played. The values range from 0 to the number of possible values. RANDOM is denoted by using the number of values (i.e., a value of 3 in WorldAridity is RANDOM; 0-2 are the actual settings).

WindowsFileBox=0
I've never used this but apparently setting it to 1 causes a standard windows dialog to be used for loading and saving.

Max Autosaves=5
The number of autosaves the game will keep in the auto folder.

Latest Save=C:\_Projects\Conquests\Civ3\saves\current
The last saved game loaded.

Latest Scenario=Conquests\7 Sengoku - Sword of the Shogun.biq
The last scenario loaded.

Main Volume=127
Music Volume=127
Sound Volume=50

The volume settings (can range from 0 to 127).

NoSound=0
Can be 0 or 1. If 1, no sound will be played in the game.

NoForceFeedback=0
Can be 0 or 1. If 1, force feedback will not be enabled for force feedback mice.

PlayIntro=0
Can be 0 or 1. If 0, the intro movie is not displayed.

GridOn=0
Can be 0 or 1. Whether or not the grid was on in the last game played.

MapZoom=0
Can be 0 or 1. Whether or not the map was zoomed in the last game played.

NoAIPatrol=1
Can be 0 or 1. If 0, the AI will use it's units to randomly patrol if it has no specific task for them.

WorldSeed=0
The seed used to generate the last map played. If 0, the last game played was not a SP random map game. This is provided for players who like a map that was generated and would like to make a map in the editor that looks the same.

Location=0
Can be 0 or 1. The last ''location'' used for MP games. 0 == Local, 1 == GameSpy.

Net Name=Mike
The name used in the last MP game played.

These are all the current settings used in conquests.ini. Their functionality and usage may change in future versions (if any) and it's always possible more will be added (or that some will be removed).

Edit: There may also be a line for SFX Volume. This is a bug :rolleyes: -- sometimes the sound volume is mistakenly referenced as SFX Volume (which causes the sound volume bug some people may have experienced).

Edit: Added a few more that I forgot about because they weren't in my INI file...

Thank you Mercade for the typo correction in VideoMode --> Video Mode.

the video mode settings are not in my ini files, I am using a 1600 by 1200 lcd monitor and want to change it to that, do I have to add the line to the INI folder?

I use both "KeepRes=1" and "Video Mode=1280", and as my resolution is greater then 1280, I get it in a window that covers the topleft part of my screen.

Which means I play the game in a 1280x1024 resolution, while keeping my laptops original resolution of 1920x1200. Which prevents the game from going blurry, and gives me more space for multitasking, like keeping some chatwindows next to the game. And I don't need to use Alt-Tab to switch program.

Originally posted by Kubla84
the video mode settings are not in my ini files, I am using a 1600 by 1200 lcd monitor and want to change it to that, do I have to add the line to the INI folder?

Yes, that's right. You'll need to add it. As I recall, it doesn't matter where it's added.

I just added a few lines to my .ini file and it works like a charm. I wish I would have gotten around to doing this sooner.

Wow! That is fun! This should be made sticky somewhere!

Just made the changes to keep my current resolution (1280*1024). The map is displayed properly, but AI units start to run like hell (AI units animation are OFF). Did anybody else experience that?

You mean like on RR? This is a bug that can be fixed by 'NoAIPatrol=1'. This means when the AI has a unit with turns, it won't just move the unit to move the unit.

I can't believe I didn't try KeepRes=1 (DUHHH!!!) instead of -1. I guess I didn't look close enough at my own civilization3.ini file. All in all, it looks like some people more than my self gained something out it so thats good.

Thanks for the help to all.

How will it affect the AI to remove patrolling abilities? I wouldn't think much at all, but can anyone think of a reason why it might be bad to not allow the AI to patrol with units?

Well, if you don't mind your CPU wasting cycles sending the units all over the place, then by all means keep it as it is. Of course, later in the game with railroads, that's a lot of units running around doing nothing. . .

This is a FANTASTIC thread! Sticky this please! I can't wait to get home now and try out C3C at 1600x1200, and the time reduction between turns with NoAIPatrol=1 should be very noticeable!

Thanks all!

Originally posted by Grey Fox
[....]Which means I play the game in a 1280x1024 resolution, while keeping my laptops original resolution of 1920x1200. [....]
1920*1200 on a laptop? One word: WOW! Very :cool: Too bad there isn't a drool icon ;)

Originally posted by Mercade
1920*1200 on a laptop? One word: WOW! Very :cool: Too bad there isn't a drool icon ;)
If you havn't noticed, it's widescreen too ;)

Hmmmm...

I tried KeepRes=1, and that works great, and refresh=85 which works great too, but when I select VideoMode=1280 or anything else, it doens't have any effect. I've tried it with multiple resolutions (including my desktop resolution which works when I used KeepRes), with and without both Refresh/KeepRes, and nothing. Ideas?

I think the keepres and videomode cancel each other out. Try taking the keep res out if you want to force 1280 mode, or manually set you res to 1280x1024 before starting the game.

I had this problem too, but it was back in March of 2002, after I first got the game. . . I don't remember what I did to fix it.

I'd like to know if someone figures the resolution settings out.

I can get it (C3C) to run at 1024x768 (default) or at 1152x864 (keepres = 1 - that's my desktop resolution).

Trying VideoMode=1280, with KeepRes=0 or KeepRes=1, doesn't seem to work for me.

Top Bottom