King of the World #15: Ragnar

AT Immortal I am pretty sure he's not getting the Great Wall built before he is overrun by those raging Barbs. Neal needs defense and fogbusters first, thus

1) Tech: Archery/mining/BW/Masonry/wheel

2) Spam 1 worker and warriors/archers for a defensive eprimeter.

3) Once the stone is hooked up then Build the Great Wall real fast.

At that point you can expand.

Tried two times, both times I got the Great Wall with 3 warriors fishboat then Great Wall.

Mining -> Masonry and then BW. I admit however it was close, but three warriors in a city, is doing pretty good. Remember we are agresive and we'll quickly get alot of EXP. And the barbs often decide to attakc cross river if you move one SE :)

Pretty sure that's the best way to do it. When the wall is done you will be at size 4 or 5 depending on tiles you worked. Then you go workers etc etc

What about a crazy plan of moving to the stone and settling on that. Then you just need to go mining-masonry while building warriors early, then you can rush the Great Wall.

Problems: Well, you lose the food from your cap. But you should be able to get the great wall and settle the food site as the second city.

I think I'd like to change what I said earlier. Forget the stone. To get it hooked up you need Mining, Masonry, BW, and The Wheel (which you probably won't be lucky enough to pop from a hut again), and to make matters worse, the stone is on a tundra hill so it will take your worker a maddeningly long time to build a quarry and road. You'll get the Great Wall built quicker by starting it earlier and just chopping it out. Go for Masonry before BW and go ahead and start it when you have enough archers, which I'm guessing is about five or so (maybe three for the city and two to protect the worker). Your worker will have nothing to do for an incredibly long time after building a camp for the deer, but the head start on the GW should pay off.

Well, that was unexpected. Still, we all need a loss now and then. Archery first is a must; if what we just saw is any indication of how barbarians work when Raging is on, any attempts at really creating an infrastructure before a solid defense is in place is nigh-suicide.

Bah. I played with the scenario, built the Great Wall, and found that I was effectively hemmed into a two-city challenge by England and Russia. I think I'm out of my league. This, combined with some personal stuff, has convinced me to declare this particular game dead and the series on hold for the time being. Honestly, I'm still recovering from the 18-Civ marathon, I think. As soon as my calendar opens up a bit (probably mid-Decemberish), I'll try to come back. Again, thank you all for reading and cheering my humble games on. You all are too good to step away from for long.

Sounds fine to me Neal although I think a 2 city wonderspam early on would have worked fine until gunpowder. Still, perhaps next time you can try the ice-age map without raging Barbs.

Thanks for all the work you put into the series. Perhaps a regular immortal with one of the easier civs on the normal earth map?

Perhaps playing Rome on Deity would be a more traditional and predictable, but still entertaining, game.

Thanks Neal. It's been a great series. For the next game, how about an Earth 16 map (16 Warlords + BTS civs) and you can add and additional civ and play as Australia?

Thanks for the great series Neal. (Long time lurker)

My game :)

Spoiler :
As said earlier I tried earlier and here are two saves of my last try. Think I would do better if I started over, although this is far from over. The first save is just before I attak England. The next is from after the attack, where I've taken over England.

Moved my army North East(Russia). Thinking about attacking Sury, but I now think it would be an stupid idea. I don't know if I will continue, this game is killing my computer, but think I was forced to post em here.

It still an option to attack someone else, or maybe I just should go towards a techlead so big I can win either spacerace or with tanks?

Anyways please check out the saves and post ideas or feedback.

I wasn't really easy getting there :p

Attachments

• Ragnar BC-12670 Angrib England.CivBeyondSwordSave
    868.3 KB · Views: 135
  • Ragnar BC-12505 Krig igen .CivBeyondSwordSave
    1,005.8 KB · Views: 109
Bah. I played with the scenario, built the Great Wall, and found that I was effectively hemmed into a two-city challenge by England and Russia. I think I'm out of my league. This, combined with some personal stuff, has convinced me to declare this particular game dead and the series on hold for the time being. Honestly, I'm still recovering from the 18-Civ marathon, I think. As soon as my calendar opens up a bit (probably mid-Decemberish), I'll try to come back. Again, thank you all for reading and cheering my humble games on. You all are too good to step away from for long.

Awwww. Oh well take your time Neal. Make sure you are motivated, without it won't work.

@Bolddrengen

I think you should spoiler that, since it mentions at least one AI that I don't think we've encountered yet.

And Neal, go have your break, you've deserved it and it don't think any of us want you to 'go Sisiutil' on us.

Neal. C'mon, soldier. Suck it up. Be a man. No pain, no gain. There's no Me in Team, no I in win, no greek in Alexander...

It's going to be dull without you... come back soon, (and do Dankok8's Australia...)

Relax and enjoy the holidays, Neal!

Personally, I'm already dreading the next raging barbs experience: Black Friday.

Haven't been around for a while-- work. Good to see you got spanked. :lol: j/k

Top Bottom