King to Emperor

pretty sure it's only 1 free settler. They get 2 on immortal and 3 on deity I believe.
No, actually they get one extra settler both on Emperor and Immortal (for a total of 2), and two extra settlers on Diety (for a total of 3).

No, actually they get one extra settler both on Emperor and Immortal (for a total of 2), and two extra settlers on Diety (for a total of 3).
I know you are trying to get @Tech Osen out of a hole and that is very commendable but there was no mention of immortal.
"The step to Emperor with it's two free settlers for AI is a tad steep though."
In his defence I suspect he added the "free" a little too freely, certainly we all slip from time to time.

Like others are saying, its totally possible to win without conquering anything. A lot of stuff on emperor comes down to your ability to manage your economy. You can get better adjacency than the computer can - so use this to your advantage!

I find one of the biggest differentiation points between games is not whether you spam campuses, but whether you prioritize to build a couple good campuses right away.
The only real trick as far as early game build order is recognizing when a civ is gonna warrior rush you - this holds up on immo/deity too. If you're safe you can expand faster, otherwise you need some more defense units.

I also find that you usually have to wait for swords to invade someone with minimal losses unless you get lucky (neighbor overwhelmed by barbs/another war) or you have a UU helping like jaguars or pitati or warcarts.

Don't worry about catching up super fast! it might take you until the renaissance or industrial depending on who is in the game, but you will eclipse them in the end thanks to your superior organic brain. I know it feels like you are sinking as soon as you meet them on turn 10 and see them settle a city near you when you've just gotten your scout out.
Some AIs like Korea and Sumer (science) and greece (culture) will appear to have basically finished their tech tree halfway through the game. This doesn't mean they have or that they are that strong - often they beelined a path, and almost always they don't have an equally well developed infrastructure in place. Science is much more dangerous because it means they'll have advanced military units, though. They also aren't great at turning that tech lead into a fast science win, for example.

Easily the best advice I see in this thread is learning to play without wonders. This was true in civ4 and civ5 as well. They can be nice to have but they are almost all production traps when you could be bolstering your district count, your cities settled, military, etc. Colosseum seems to go really late in most games as does the forbidden palace, and they are conveniently some of the best wonders, hence the suggestions to grab them.

I know you are trying to get @Tech Osen out of a hole and that is very commendable but there was no mention of immortal.
"The step to Emperor with it's two free settlers for AI is a tad steep though."
In his defence I suspect he added the "free" a little too freely, certainly we all slip from time to time.

I was actually under the assumption that they get three settlers on emperor as they almost always seem to have three cities no matter how early I meet them.

I believe this was the case in Civ 5, but in Civ 6, they get two extra (three total) on Emperor
Just to throw some hard numbers on the table, the game code looks like this:

Code:
       <Row Era="ERA_ANCIENT" Unit="UNIT_SETTLER"/>
       <Row Era="ERA_ANCIENT" Unit="UNIT_WARRIOR" NotStartTile="true"/>
       <Row Era="ERA_ANCIENT" Unit="UNIT_SETTLER" AiOnly="true" MinDifficulty="DIFFICULTY_EMPEROR" DifficultyDelta="0.5" OnDistrictCreated="true"/>
       <Row Era="ERA_ANCIENT" Unit="UNIT_WARRIOR" AiOnly="true" MinDifficulty="DIFFICULTY_KING" DifficultyDelta="1" NotStartTile="true"/>
       <Row Era="ERA_ANCIENT" Unit="UNIT_BUILDER" AiOnly="true" MinDifficulty="DIFFICULTY_KING" DifficultyDelta="0.5" OnDistrictCreated="true"/>

What this shows is everybody get a settler (first line) and a warrior (second line).

Additionally, on Emperor and above, AI only gets an additional settler (third line), and the number of settlers it gets grows by 0.5 per level (DifficultyDelta), so on Emperor they get 1 extra settler, on Immortal they get 1.5 extra settlers (which is rounded down to 1 extra settler, same as on Emperor), and on Diety they get 2 extra settlers (namely 1 + 2*0.5).

Additionally, on King they AI gets one additional warrior, growing with one extra per level (so on Emperor they get 2 additional warriors, on Immortal 3 additional warriors, and on Diety 4 additional warriors).

On King, AI also gets a free builder, growing with 0.5 per difficulty level, so on Emperor still 1 builder (1.5), on Immortal 2 builders, and on Diety still 2 builders (2.5).

Additionally, on Emperor and above, AI only gets an additional settler (third line), and the number of settlers it gets grows by 0.5 per level (DifficultyDelta), so on Emperor they get 1 extra settler, on Immortal they get 1.5 extra settlers (which is rounded down to 1 extra settler, same as on Emperor), and on Diety they get 2 extra settlers (namely 1 + 2*0.5).

I think this makes king-> emperor the hardest transition. The extra settler makes a massive difference in their growth rate.
Emp-> Immortal isn't that different. By deity, once you know how to win when they get 2 settlers, 3 settlers isn't that different (just more likely to warrior rush you.)
They really don't highlight what a big jump it is when they say difficulty 5 -> difficulty 6.

I've tried emperor a few times but find the AI bonuses too strong for me. I tend to give up without finishing, which could be part of the problem.
I think the key to this progression (and circle back to this point when you're going from immortal to deity) is having the understanding that you're not going to start out ahead, stay ahead, and even expand your lead. They each have an extra city, units, and categorical bonuses. You will start out behind them, every time. But using the tricks everyone is mentioning along with other tricks found in this forum will have you beating emperor with ease. Just don't give up - you will always start behind. Just because you see "this wonder was built, meaning that some civ has at least 3 or 4 classical techs and you have none and are still missing several ancient techs - that doesn't matter. Here are some more things that may help.

1a.) early rushes with archers and UU: I know many are saying that you don't need to warmonger to win, and that is 100% true, but the I find it is SO much easier if you conquer some cities early. The formula that I use pretty much every game is to settle your capital, get some infrastructure in place which triggers Eurekas and inspirations, get a well-placed second city, and then conquer a nearby neighbor getting you at least 2 (usually 3) more cities for a total of 5 cities. From there, build those cities up so they can produce, and switch to colonization and have each city spit out 2 settlers each. This gets me 15 cities (more or less depending on how many average+ quality settle locations there are) almost always before I hit medieval. This is enough cities to win the game, and by a healthy margin, and they're placed early (more on that later*) Because of this, I find emperor+ levels actually easier than lower difficulty levels because while I get ahead on the scoresheet earlier on lower difficulties (which means almost nothing), I lack that slingshot effect of rapidly acquiring numerous cities.

1b.) Timing-pushes: there are a few units in the game which just dominate other units of their era: most (well, the good) unique units, crossbows, knights, frigate/caravel on coast, and cavalry. Some may argue for others but I personally find these to be the most effective, particularly knights. So when you know you're coming up on the tech that unlocks them, stirrups for example, start stockpiling your gold (don't spend it on anything) build as many chariots as possible and then slot in professional army if you have it and upgrade all the chariots to knights. Then take some more cities.

2.) understanding investment and payoff*: the point here is that the later in the game you acquire something that generates yields per turn (cities/districts/wonders/buildings/etc.) the fewer turns remain in the game for it to grant its benefits. Throwing a ton of hammers into a settler or a commercial hub late in the game when they are more expensive isn't going to benefit you if you end up finishing the game 10 turns later, and the hammers would have been spent with more impact if they were towards something else.

3.) wonder-building bonuses vs. wonder-ownership bonuses: Some wonders give you some bonuses, usually immediately, to the person who builds it. They also give you different, often more long term and more beneficial, bonuses from having possession of that wonder. For example, the Pyramids gives you a wonder-building bonus of 1 free builder, which isn't a great bonus. It also gives you +1 charge per builder for the rest of the game, which is a very good bonus. Most wonders are like this, some don't even give you wonder-building bonuses, and the ones that do usually have a much better wonder ownership bonus (exception may be Stonehenge, but from this difficulty on you're just not going to be getting that one anymore.) And back to the first point, it's better to spend your hammers on units and let your target build the wonders for you. Granted, if the wonder that you want is on the other side of the map, you're not going to get it. But like others have said, no wonder is necessary for victory, and as you progress through the difficulties you'll have to settle (no pun intended) for having fewer wonders.

4.) policy cards: along with the first tip which is more about rapid expansion than it is about aggression, this is probably the biggest impact. Study the cards and find the ones that are to be slotted in short term for huge effect and then slotted out of. Such as slotting in Pro Army when you have enough gold, upgrade all your units, pick a civic that you can get in one turn, and then slot out of it. The colonization trick is also short term, but more turns than just the one. Also, you prebuild a builder in most or all of your cities to having just one turn left and then change the build to something else, Then slot in feudalism, finish the builder in all your cities (this will take more than just the one since the cost goes up, but usually they'll all finish within 3 turns), pick a civic that you'll finish in three or four turns and slot feudalism out. Then there are other cards, like rationalism, that once you acquire it you dedicate one of your slots to it for the rest of the game.

5.) Obsessively check your opponents player score to military strength ratio: If someone has a high player score but a low military score it means one of two things: either they have a lot of the stuff that you want (cities/wonders/districts) or it means that they have a lot of the stuff that they can use to hurt you later (more techs and civics.) Either way, low military score means it's easier for you to take what is theirs, and you're either gaining for yourself or removing a potential threat, both of which are good.

It sounds like you're already there, you just need to get used to the fact that you'll win but no longer have the "god among men" status when you do it.

Don't worry about catching up super fast! it might take you until the renaissance or industrial depending on who is in the game, but you will eclipse them in the end thanks to your superior organic brain. I know it feels like you are sinking as soon as you meet them on turn 10 and see them settle a city near you when you've just gotten your scout out.
I play on Emperor mostly and like to go Immortal and Deity from time to time and this is the best advice I think when it comes to winning. There will be many instances where you will seriously believe that you won't make it, but if you just keep going, making way and small, continuous gains, you will end up in a fun head to head struggle with the leading AI and then make it. If you don't at first, then try again and learn to tweak things here and there using the advice given here when applicable. There is a huge satisfaction when you have learned those little things that improve your very own play style, spicing things up here and there. The AI is definitely not there yet, but in GS they can better put a fight than before and surprise you, which is always fun.

Talking (edit spelling) about Wonders (I love to build them), I have certainly built many at this level and I think you should go for it if you enjoy them. You cannot definitely build all of them and why should you at this level or higher, but there are many that will make things easier in my opinion, not to mention make your cities beautiful. If you don't like their bonuses as they are, then choose a Mod that will improve them. As for Natural wonders, and you should settle close to them, Terra Marabilis is wonderful (pun intended) and will give you better bonuses also. And yes, just play and enjoy; don't rush, but enjoy each One More Turn.

Last edited:
I play a lot on Emperor so I can play with all the elements of the game, and I almost never attack prior to Muskets and typically it is not until I have Infantry or Tanks. The key is your starting build order, with two key portions of that build order. First is expand and only get 1 early district. Second is getting about I unit per city and 2-3 roaming units if facing a Shaka/Alex type neighbor.

Someone else also mentioned it but your first two expansion cities need to be ready to work from the start. Also try to cordon off an area of future expansion by getting boarders up that will at least ensure if they do back settle on your land you can flip it. I try to have at least 6 cities up of my own and then focus on out building the AI. Setting up the +4 districts and timing about 90% of the science and culture eureka bonuses to help whip through those trees.

Another great line of defense is having a city state in between you and your aggressor as your ally. Early game the city state often has as many if not more units than you and the AI will waste time trying to defend or attack that threat. Once you have a ranged unit in each city and 2-3 melee units roaming and 6 cities with the likely targeted ones with walls it is game over.

This is even easier if you pick someone good like Rome, Inca, Nubia, Aztec.

Immortal isn't much harder. Deity requires some luck and a lot more patience.

There will be many instances where you will seriously believe that you won't make it, but if you just keep going, making way and small, continuous gains, you will end up in a fun head to head struggle with the leading AI and then make it.
This... THIS THIS THIS!!! I remember my first time having Korea in the game on the other side of the pangaea on immortal. Somewhere around turn 100, she was in first place in science with about 200 beakers per turn and the most techs completed. I was in second place... 4 techs behind her but more importantly with about 80 beakers per turn. I thought, "holy bejeezus, she is ahead in count and has 2 1/2 times as many bpt as I have... and I can't attack her. There is no way I can stop her from winning." But as the turns passed, I kept making big steps using effective tricks, and got closer and closer.Then, as most human players do against the AI, I exploded in the "almost-late-game-and-making-endgame-decisions" phase of the game and blew her out of the water. This is so much more engaging than getting ahead in the classical era and just playing out the inevitable.

Also, and particularly in regard to emperor level specifically, there is a point in the game, hard to pin-point but usually a 20 or 30 turn period that occurs somewhere between turn 60 and turn 120, during which the human player snowballs while it seems the AI is plateauing. If you hang in to this point, you'll often start steamrolling them in terms of progress.

I see a lot of colliseum, but because I stay relativly small (7-8 cities) and don't go for domination or religion victory (so i rarely piss off people), I tend to make friends with a lot of people and trade a lot of luxuries around, I wouldn't say its that necessary. But iI also only made the king - emperor switch, so do't pay too much attention to me

I prefer cultural wins, so a religion there helps, no? My firs district tends to be a holy site.

And Shakakhan is right. The AI is terrible at winning the game. So you might feel behind a lot of the time, but its not hard to outsmart them

A lot of good advice. I think mentally it’s realizing you can’t do everything you want and living with being behind as you move up in difficulty. After you win a couple games you get confident in the slingshot.

Watch Potato on YouTube as well. He always plays on Diety so you can get an idea of strategy.

Also for what it’s worth I like King bc I can play more relaxed and do everything I want but it is too easy overall. I find the mod for giving yourself a matching number of units as the AI to be a more relaxing way to play and feeling like you get more out of the AI. You’ll start fast, get territory and not get early rushed. Which does take away most of your opportunity to lose but in the late game it feels more balanced then King. I really like Immortal this way although it can make rolling a close neighbor in the first few turns way too easy.

I find King to be the highest difficulty I can reliably win almost every time without doing the boring optimal thing of warmongering.

A couple of wonders I'd recommend paying attention to:

Colosseum.
Pyramids.
Forbidden Palace.
Big Ben.
Petra.
Machu Picchu.

None are required, but can be game-changing in the right circumstances.

Well, here was my list before Gathering Storm. I still would suggest to not really bother with wonders below t1 in the list, but I think there's just better things to focus on if one is struggling heavily so I didn't really want to list them at all because it really

T0: Colosseum (solves amenities)

T1: Pyramids (better builders), and Big Ben (more gold), Forbidden City (+1 wildcard), Kilwa Kisiwani (Large bonuses from the right CS's, Oxford (tech boost)

T2: Temple of Artemis (Great, but huge opportunity cost), St Basil's (Multipurpose cultural and production wonder), Great Library (Big Science/culture boost), Oracle (great people gambits), Bolshoi Theater (Culture boost), Effel Tower (Resort Spam, also must have for Australia/Mapuche)

Situationally Strong: Mt St.Michel (Mass relics!) Venetian Arsenal (some water maps), Casa de Contratación (Spread out empires), Apadana (Mostly China), Amundsen-Scott (late, but strong if you can actually build it.)

One city wonders (Petra, Chichen, Great Zimbabwe, Broadway, etc) can be good but the thing is the game still prefers city count so individual cities are just not as impactful as they were in previous games. I mean yes, you can have an amazing city for those wonders but it's not something you can always rely upon.

I find King to be the highest difficulty I can reliably win almost every time without doing the boring optimal thing of warmongering.

Agreed. I'm no expert by any means, but this is what I've experienced...

On King, warmongering isn't necessary at all.

On Emperor, it isn't totally necessary, but it is a huge disadvantage if you don't warmonger for most starts.

At Immortal and Deity, I find warmongering absolutely necessary.

But is it fun/challenging/engaging if you know up front that you're going to win? :p

At Immortal and Deity, I find warmongering absolutely necessary.
It is possible to win on deity with one city and therefore no warmongering. Yes it depends on luck but that is telling you something about what is possible. Once you realise the AI does not really push for a victory before T300 you realise that what seems like a poor position can still win you the game.

It is quite common to get to T80-100 and think you are not going to make it. This is quite natural amd once you know the best players use a 3 phase approach you know you will not look good at this stage but will look good soon after.

Top Bottom