King Younk's Questions thread

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by King Younk, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Jellybug

Jellybug Warlord

they make handy border garrison/ resistance prevention during and after war. they may not do much in battle, but each body you have is a unit that must be killed. this way you can leave fewer valuable offensive units behind to hold your cities, knowing that the enemy must always send x+1 to recapture

lymond and Fabled like this.
  2. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

I almost always need cheap garrison units later, so I almost never disband units. If I'm earning a lot of GGs and already have my supermedic in place, I might upgrade some vets for free with generals - but usually at a point where I need the extra health on a few units from promos.

Another little tricky thing you can do is gift a bunch of old units to one of your vassals. AI upgrades units at a far cheaper cost and will generaly upgrade those units almost immediately...and use them.

krikav likes this.
  3. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

I hear you with regard to GGenerals @lymond ! I appreciate them more and more and find settling GGenerals, (a practice I did alot previously) increasingly rare in my games.

NC284 spoiler warning!
    Spoiler GGeneral lovelyness :

How about lifting 9 Trebs at 6/8 up to CR3?! I like that!
    Civ4ScreenShot0012.JPG

Super medic needed 3 more xp, so some assortment of units is selected so they can get another promotion too.
    GGenerals almost always gets stuck to trebs in my games because I love having 2-moving siege.
    Civ4ScreenShot0017.JPG

4. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

This just seems a mess.
    You have 20 or so cities. Only one above size 10.
    Did you really only have gems for happiness? Bad map script?
    Your way behind the AI in tech. Likely due to number of poor cities, lack of happiness resources and no bureau capital.
    I can't see a great people strategy either. Have you ever bulbed techs with scientists?

Meanwhile you have 10 AI who are about 8-9+ techs ahead of you and will probably reach rifles before you can do anything useful.

You could try for cannons and muskets but I suspect some Ai will have frigates and cuirs by now.

This was an okay starting location I think you needed a smaller empire mixed with HR civic for happiness. Whatever you did it would of been a tough game due to lack of happiness.

5. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

I wonder if you had applied the food idea to this map if you would of done better? So use HR have cities spaced a bit further out and max out scientists once cities get size 10+.

Polished off Pangea map on immortal with normal speed around 1555ad. So takes a bit longer due to larger AI and faster Ai teching, Plus a lot of cities to manage meaning more time to complete turns.

On a time basis especially playing marathan it's not very efficient. Especially if you are quitting or losing games.

6. Lennier

Lennier Emperor

It should be in the autosave folder. Unless you went in a deleted it for some reason.

7. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

Playing through from the 1940bc save. Given the shortage of commerce and relative abundance of production it was quicker to get HR happiness via building Pyramids rather than researching monarchy. Meanwhile started cottages where possible. Had a long axepult war with Louis, razed about ten cities and ended up keeping five. Research went alphabet (build research) currency (switch to wealth), sailing, maths, construction. Researched CoL, MC, machinery during the war. First GS went to academy, second in storage, 75% chance of third. Amazed myself by building Glight c 800bc. Captured Parthenon and Glib from Louis.

Plan is optics beeline, hope to get Calendar in trade then double bulb Astronomy. Meanwhile build more cities when I can afford them, currently 12 cities, space for more.

There's not a single luxury resource in the whole continent (KY's gems popped from worked mines), no religion either so only source of happiness is HR units. Its a bit of a nuisance.

edit: Played on a bit further. Glib allowed me to get a third GS so used one for optics and two for astronomy (1125ad). Justinian beat me to circumnav. Traded astronomy round quite a bit, caught up on techs a bit, got a world map.. Got a few resource trades. Just swopped to Buro (I was avoiding CS coz it messes up Astro bulb).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  8. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

There is actually a whale resource at top but it's not much use early game and requires a tundra city.

Religion for happiness although difficut to grab without a bulb or Oracle. Messes up diplomacy minute you meet the AI.

Mds with ind trait isn't bad. GW with all the likely barbs up north maybe some merit. Albeit a few axes would of worked too. Colloseum for +1 happiness.

Looking at starts Babylonians had 7 gems, 5 dye, 2 silver and gold. If they were financial they would of had rifes by now.

You could still do some sort of war with galleons and cuirs here. Or a cannon based war but most of the AI have muskets now. It's a tough map in many respects.

The other annoyance on these settings is each time an Ai goes to war you immediately get the demands to stop friendship so diplomacy would be a nightmare.

Map is winnable but a lot of work even for the best players.

9. King Younk

King Younk Warlord

Almost like I should turtle down with +5 gunpowder units, and build mounteds and artillery to stave off an invasion? Then I can have an efficient economy ("When armies march abroad, treasuries empty at home" - Sun Tzu) to build a space ship with.

I don't see why one wouldn't go space race here.

10. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

I wouldn't build an army that costs you all your gold in upkeep. AI doing naval invasions is very unlikely. Albeit possible. Biggest danger is you get beaten to space by a runnaway AI. Your science isn't great right now. You have land!

11. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

Totally forgot about Colloseum, not a regular build in most games but it would help in this one. Even as I posted 'no luxuries' I realised there were still a few unexplored arctic tiles. There's less than a dozen decent city sites on the continent, which is pretty marginal for Space. Too late for AP. If religions spread via astronomy then there's an outside chance of late Culture perhaps (tricky for KY coz of confu spread).. Tough game indeed.

12. King Younk

King Younk Warlord

So you think I should delete the unpromoted units, and maybe keep a couple stacks of cavalry/cannons to address invasions? Then spend my money on gold/research/industry?

13. King Younk

King Younk Warlord

Quick question - should I take this one Babylonian city?

Spoiler :
    upload_2021-9-14_18-9-58.png

14. sampsa

sampsa Ghost

For what purpose?

pros
    • you gain horse
    cons
    • you need to declare war on 3 AIs, possibly causing diplo hits to anothers
    • you gain a very weak city

15. King Younk

King Younk Warlord

Because I want the horses, and I want manifest destiny over my island.

Spoiler I researched Archery early :
    upload_2021-9-14_21-59-50.png

And I think it served me well. I have a nice-sized empire, and I'm going to be able to set up a large financial district, including many resources, which I will be able to trade.

Should I seek to conquer my neighbors, or just live in peace, since diplomatic relations are largely good?

16. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

You need AH for horses. It's 270ad and you have litte or no economy. Where is your army of horse archers?

Do you have IW yet? Pretty important to remove jungle so you can work all those gems. Calendar too.

If you keep going archery at start on huge maps this will kill your economy. 2-3 warriors or cities fog busts your starting area. Techs cost a lot more on huge maps so it restricts early techs due to additional beakers required.

Capital is too small for 270ad.

17. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

Slightly confusing: you ask a question about your 1430 ad Qin game then follow it up with a screenshot from another game altogether.

18. King Younk

King Younk Warlord

Where should I plant a Great Spy in the early game (meaning in my cities, not the opponents)?

19. King Younk

King Younk Warlord

Lol - sorry I keep jumping around. I'm playing a game as Suryavarman now.

In my current game, I got my bread up early, and have some scientists/a great spy.

Attached Files:

20. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

You should settle your great spy in a city where you know you will later build jail and intelligence agency, or where you know you will build scotland yard with another great spy.
    And those you will likely want to build in a city with alot of commerce.
    So the capital is often the place to go, but not always.

It's okay to be messy and jump around from game to game.
    I think you deserve some appreciation for keeping the collection of games in one thread, thereby keeping the forums neat. :)