Known unsolvable issues

Thalassicus

Bytes and Nibblers
Please see the Common Checklist for a full list of known unsolvable issues. This thread is for information purposes only. It explains the most frequently-asked issues only Firaxis can directly solve. If you encounter a problem not on this list, please see the Solving Bugs thread to report the issue. :)

1. Mounted archer bug

Each unit (archer, crossbow, longbow) belongs to a combat class: archers, soldiers, siege, etc. Firaxis created these combat classes:

Foot melee
Foot ranged
Mounted melee
Mounted ranged
Ship melee
Ship ranged

Originally mounted ranged were grouped in the "mounted melee" class. This caused weird situations like chariot archers (but not foot archers) getting ranged-attack penalties against spearmen.

Then they moved to the "foot ranged" class. That solved the spearman problem, but caused other problems. Anything with bonuses to "mounted melee" like Stables or Mongolia's +1:c5moves: to "mounted" units, no longer affected mounted archers like chariots and keshiks. These mounted units were now classified as footmen, instead of mounted.

The obvious solution is to fill in the missing "mounted archer" combat class. I did that, but then discovered our current modding tools can't assign attack animations to new combat classes. The animation thing is purely visual, while the other problems described above affect gameplay, so I decided to fix the gameplay issues and just live with the visual oddity. Firaxis will hopefully give us the capability to associate combat animations with new combat classes some day.

2. The farm crash bug

Any player who replaces a farm with another improvement will sometimes crash the game. This has been a bug in the unmodded base game for at least 2 years. It does not appear to be easily fixable with mods. The bug exists in the graphics engine part of the game core only Firaxis has access to.

Some people have reported it's possible to avoid the crash by manually removing the farm with a tool like the tuner. However, this is more difficult to accomplish when it is an AI player attempting to remove a farm somewhere on the map.

Efforts are also underway by whoward to work around the issue by creating new graphics for farms. This great workaround avoids the crash, but loses the beautiful farm graphics, so hopefully Firaxis will properly solve the issue one day.

I've safely overrode farms by removing the farm through IGE then building a new item with a worker.
This may have been the source of some crashes however.

I play with animations off due to my CPU. I would continue with your efforts and ignore the animations.

I created an account just to share this:

Whoward has been working on a mod that replaces farms altogether, with a new graphic. He hasn't posted it to his website yet but you can find it here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=485047&page=4

I can confirm that his mod works with GEM and the graphic that it uses for the farms I find to be visually pleasing.

I haven't had a farm crashes in the last two games I've played with it!

I have a game stopper. I can't open the "choose production" menu in one of my cities. I've reloaded, and still no juice. Known issue?

It might be related to conquered cities, but it doesn't prevent the game from progressing when I've encountered something like that, and isn't unsolvable. ;)

It might be related to conquered cities, but it doesn't prevent the game from progressing when I've encountered something like that, and isn't unsolvable. ;)

I can't see how it is a loading issue, as I was playing for hours when I encountered the game stopping bug.

Also, the city is my original capital. (never been captured).

This thread was (I thought from the title) so people would know what can't be done and fixed and so easily find what that is and why. Not what is currently bugged and needs reported anew. Which should be posted or be looked for in the bug reports.

Post a log in the bug reports forum and someone will figure out what's going wrong. My guess is the Wat Phra Kaew bug from v2.51 since it doesn't hit until the industrial age. If you see yieldmod errors in the lua.log file, that's the answer. It's been fixed in that thread and in v2.52. If not, a posted log file could help sort out what the problem is.

I see production selection notifications on conquered cities stuck on the side until they are pacified or destroyed. But that's a different bug, and doesn't cause any actual problems (just visually annoying when conquering).

I have the most recent downloads of Communitas.

I have no other mods loaded.

Upon the first turn when I build my capital and you click the build icon to go into the city or click the city directly the option to choose your build does not come up and I have to restart.

SOLUTION: for me I found that if you click the science que and choose your science first then click into the city or the build que it will work. I also have to give the game a second or two to load before I even click the science que. It seams it may still be loading stuff and if I am too quick to pick either it will lock up the build que.

Weird, but I have seen other posts in the mods posts that are similar.

Great work so far. Keep it up.

Top Bottom