Korea Photojournal: Attempt #2

CrazyG

Deity
After a CTD ended my first attempt, I'm going to try and do another one.

Spoiler Settings :

Deity
8 civs, 16 city states
Pangea
Some civs manually selected. I choose 4 warmongers to try and make the early game harder. I cannot guarantee I will begin next to one of them, but I tried.
I also put Maya in the game because he likes to build Hanging Gardens and he can compete with me in science. The other 2 civs are random.
Resources are set to Strategic Balance
No events
No ancient ruins
No tech trading
I have to take tradition and artistry.
I cannot build Terracotta Army.

Spoiler Part 1 :

I spend 1 turn moving across a river, so I can settle on top of a gold. I can then work 2 flood plains to grow fast.
Build order is monument, then shrine.
Tech order is mining, then pottery.

0152.jpg

Here is a picture after some basic scouting. I got 7 faith and 25 gold for meeting the city states, which is nice. Right now the gameplan is to settle two more cities very quickly and get a silver monopoly going (sadly the capital has only 1). There is already a great location to the East near the lake for a city. After briefly scouting the north, my pathfinder just hangs out around my capital until I build another military unit.
I put 30 production into my monument, before switching to shrine. Then once my gold hit 80 two turns later, I invested the monument. This build the monument 4 turns faster without delaying the shrine.
My nearest neighbor is Brazil (again?). I sell him my gold luxury for 3 gold as soon as mining finished researching.

0154.jpg

My city had 4 population before I opened tradition, giving me 6 after I take. Sweet.
You can see here that I unwork a food tile, giving me a laborer. Laborers produce 1 hammer, doing this finishes the shrine 1 turn earlier. Could be a big deal with pantheon selection.
After this I build a settler. Got to get those cities planted ASAP. I've also met Rome at this point, we have territorial disputes.
Research trapping next for archers. Also to reveal deer and fish and help the tundra city I settle. I have to settle there because a barbarian camp appeared exactly where I want my other city (hence why I need an archer).

A note, on this patch barbarian handaxes are far less aggressive. Normally I would have brought two archers, but just 1 was enough and I built a worker next instead.
I take the engineer for my second social policy, because I want production and my culture is already doing pretty good.

0159.jpg

My second city goes monument first, I want to start getting those borders growing towards silver. I bought one worker, but I would like to save the rest of my gold for buying a few tiles. I want that silver monopoly now.
What pantheon would you all pick in this situation? God-King, Earth Mother, and Festivals have all been chosen already.

Last edited:
Why did you settle on the Gold? Gold tiles can be really good. Is getting to it that little bit faster really worth it?

For Pantheon, I would be looking at either God of the Sun or God of Commerce. God of the Sun will get you 2 Science in Seoul already, which allows you to delay a Library slightly to focus on getting a defense up against Rome. It also gives Faith to Granaries, which you will probably be rushing for in Busan as it is food limited. You have lots of Deer nearby for it as well. Alternatively, the Silver will give you a lot of gold for Commerce and you will be settling very densely meaning you can get the City connections up quick.

That's a fun start, lots of farm triangles.

Lots of good choices for pantheons here. Pasture pantheon or the wonder one are probably what I would take.

Soooo...what about that github report? G has fixed my own games in the past. Is it a pain over there in censorship land?

But won't you just be working the Gold?
So if I settled gold and work floodplain
versus settle floodplain and work gold
I have 1 more food in the settle gold, which is nice.

I didn't begin next to the gold, and I had to walk a turn to be next to it either way. I sold it for 3 gold on turn 11, that gave me a worker 2 turns earlier. I could have settled on the silver, which after revealing resources would have been strong, but I didn't have that much information at the time.
Soooo...what about that github report? G has fixed my own games in the past. Is it a pain over there in censorship land?
Is China censorship land?
Github isn't blocked but I find it very difficult to use.

My worry is that Wisdom struggles to found unless you can go wide quite early, and @CrazyG does not have huge space. Korea needs a religion quite badly to shine IMO.
In my experience Wisdom founds pretty easy, you just need to settle fast and that Tradition does very good after the new +2 population opener. Unfortunately he has bad tiles for pumping Settler, but still it will be pretty fast.

I picked a pantheon which has not been suggested yet, how fun!

I did a poor job of taking pictures, so I'll add two more here.

Spoiler Starting Location :

20180817123618_1.jpg

20180817123630_1.jpg

So my original plan was to move the settler on top of the silver, automatically connection 1 copy and letting me work a floodplain immediately. This move also makes Petra possible (though I don't think I will build it). There was a pretty good chance that there would be more luxury tiles hidden behind that silver. If I could get 3 in my capital, I could get a monopoly with just 2 cities, which would be powerful.

However, when I saw the gold I decided to settle there instead. Settling on gold is just really strong in general. With hindsight being 20/20 and all the resources revelead, maybe I should have settled elsewhere, but I like my decision based on the information I had available.

Last edited:
From my newbie/emperor level only eyes, that second city looks like a really poor choice. You could have settled on the river north, and still gotten to settle on your nice eastern spot. The spot you chose has very little of value, and is on a coast which is always a questionable choice for Tradition, as naval units are in short supply.

With tradition every city is very important, I feel like that one is ultimately going to be a drain more than a benefit.

From my newbie/emperor level only eyes, that second city looks like a really poor choice. You could have settled on the river north, and still gotten to settle on your nice eastern spot. The spot you chose has very little of value, and is on a coast which is always a questionable choice for Tradition, as naval units are in short supply.

With tradition every city is very important, I feel like that one is ultimately going to be a drain more than a benefit.

Silver has a very powerful monopoly. The goal is to connect it as soon as possible. I also think he has gone for the camps and tundra pantheon, making it a good settle.

Personally I would have gone for the hill by the lake in the east, which can also connect 3 silver, and gone with God of Sun. But I am not as good as CrazyG.

Last edited:
The pantheon I choose was God of the Expanse. 20 faith when borders grow, and 6 hammers. Borders grow 25% faster. Its strong on faith, the production is a nice bonus too. Great with tradition's bonus, it let's me be greedy and build monument first everywhere

Spoiler Why didn't you pick God of ___________? :

Pastures- It looks good because I have 5 pastures in the capital, and it would be really strong at first, but it would peter out really quickly. It caps at only 6 faith per turn. The culture bonus is pretty weak on this land, it won't activate for any of the silver tiles, the lakes, the floodplains, the deer. for three of my cities it probably does nothing.

Beauty- If you wanted to take this, you would need to go back a few turns and take trade instead of animal husbandry. Then build Petra, your on a pretty good path. However, for this turn 41, what wonders am I building? I don't see it working out well, the first wonder I see myself having good odds to build would be Oracle or Great Wall.

You could possibly build stonehenge and take Beauty for another option. This capital would have pretty good odds to get it, the AI didn't build it until turn 31 this game. But, I didn't do that, so I'm not taking Beauty.

Wisdom- Its a reasonable choice for how fast I'm settling. However its faith light right now, and late game it caps at 25. The golden age points look good but I don't think I really need them.

Sun- I didn't even think about this one because I don't have much wheat. But it would be 2 faith and 2 gold in all my cities, plus some science in the capital. Its actually a good choice here.

Commerce- I think Sun is better here. Commerce works much better with progress. My workers will be building silver mines, not roads. My second city would need a four tile road, my third city would need 5.

Camps/Tundra- I'm not taking a pantheon for just 1 city.

Would you leave all that deer and silver unsettled? Its a solid city and I want a silver monopoly ASAP. It is coast but its coastal exposure is pretty limited. I originally was going to put it inland, but at this location it can reach a fish three deer (my capital can share, it has a ton of great tiles already). Later on it can have 2 villages on a trade route-city connection. I will put a city to the north, but silver is the priority.

Personally I would have gone for the hill by the lake in the east, which can also connect 3 silver, and gone with God of Sun. But I am not as good as CrazyG
This would have been the first settle location, except there is a barbarian camp there.

Top Bottom