Land Target and Manipulating the AI

I believe I tested it when trying out domination via peacevassaling one game after your Gauntlet and I'm about 97% sure, that Vassal's borders did not count. But yes, good idea to get 100% correct information on that :) . If I remember which game I played with peacevassaling the AIs, I'll maybe check a few saves. Would cost me quite some time though, maybe it'd be easier to simply worldbuilder that situation.

@Kaitzilla, how about vassal chaining and land target? In other words, if I have a vassal and my target AI has 8 tiles that border only my vassal. No border with me. Is that a land target for all purposes?
Thought I'd look into this some more. :scan:

There are 2 land target checks in the code: AI_isLandTarget and AI_isAllyLandTarget. The former only checks land target status for a team. That's the player and possible PA partners, but no vassals. The latter includes vassals (and masters) and any team that has a defensive pact with the team for which land target status is checked.

• AI_isLandTarget checks border tiles for the team and not for each of the team’s players individually. That means that if Player A and Player B are in the same team and the AI has 4 border tiles with Player A and another 4 border tiles with Player B, the AI will consider that team a land target.
  • AI_isAllyLandTarget checks land target status for a team and each of the team's vassals and DP allies individually. It will, e.g., return false if the AI only has 4 border tiles with the player (or more precisely: team) and another 4 with their vassal, but it will return true if the AI has 8 border tiles with the team’s DP partner.

AI_isLandTarget is used in the cases I listed earlier:
* Begs and demands (thresholds for how much can be begged/demanded)
* Peace Vassals and Capitulation ("We're doing fine on our own", "We are afraid of your enemies" considerations)
* AI DoW mechanics (war plan and war target selection)

* Monopoly tech value for “We don’t want to start trading...” calculations
* “Close borders spark tensions” calculation
Note that the AI is slightly more likely to capitulate if you have vassals (or war allies) that are a land target of the AI while having a higher power rating than the AI. (see this post on vassalization mechanics)

AI_isAllyLandTarget is only used in the context of war bribes: For “We're afraid of their military might.” or ”We would have nothing to gain.” checks and when calculating the cost of a war bribe.

* AI is more likely to accept a war bribe if the war target is one of their land targets. (Land target status halves the power threshold.)
* Bribing an AI to DoW another AI is cheaper if the war target is one of our (=the bribing player’s) land targets. (This seems a bit odd to me.)

Bumping this thread because it's absolutely golden.
Thank you so much for putting in the effort into this testing!

A quick question, does the "Our close borders cause tension" have anything at all with landtarget to do, or is that an entierly different calculation?

A quick question, does the "Our close borders cause tension" have anything at all with landtarget to do, or is that an entierly different calculation?

IIRC there is a multiplier that depends on land target status and greatly affects border tension calculations. Can't remember the exact formulae, but diplo hit from border tension depends on how many tiles you "steal", AI personality and some other factors, including, unless I'm much mistaken, land target.

Thanks! :)

Yes, Tachywaxon outlined how "Our close borders cause tension" works here:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/civ-illustrated-1-know-your-enemy.478563/page-4#post-11940844

I never put it into the guide because I never got around to testing it completely, but the years have changed my mind on its importance and it will go into the Civ Illustrated 2.0 revision in the future.

Top Bottom