Larger Worlds (Abandonded)

Larger Worlds (Abandonded) 2.31

Hi
Possible bug here, I deleted all my old mods from before the patch, downloaded new updated versions, verified game cache, etc. but with this new version(2.0 for larger and detailed), whenever I create an enormous map with 20 civs, the game starts with 10 civs(counting me.) The world rankins only show 10 civs, and using the "reveal all" confirms theres no civs around me for 20+ tiles, except city states.

Have about 8-9 mods total, and none of them affect world generator or map definitions.

Anyone else able to confirm this as my problem, or mod bug? I havent tried huge yet, just enormous. Would do more testing tonight, but im tired.
I have the same bug, I think main problem is distance between civs.

Possible bug here, I deleted all my old mods from before the patch, downloaded new updated versions, verified game cache, etc. but with this new version(2.0 for larger and detailed), whenever I create an enormous map with 20 civs, the game starts with 10 civs(counting me.) The world rankins only show 10 civs, and using the "reveal all" confirms theres no civs around me for 20+ tiles, except city states.

Have about 8-9 mods total, and none of them affect world generator or map definitions.

Anyone else able to confirm this as my problem, or mod bug? I havent tried huge yet, just enormous. Would do more testing tonight, but im tired.

Happens on any Mapsize :(

I'll dig around in there tonight. I may need to put an upper limit in there. I haven't had a problem getting all of civs in-game using the defaults on large maps. The bigger issue is that the Civ 6 starting plot code really isn't very good and has a lot of unused code, errors, shortcuts and no fallbacks.

I have to re-write a good portion of it to be able to do simple things like the "old world" option from Civ 4 and 5 or even just preventing a starting location on small islands. I'll get there but without the dll source it won't be a fast process. So... Soon? :)

I'll dig around in there tonight. I may need to put an upper limit in there. I haven't had a problem getting all of civs in-game using the defaults on large maps. The bigger issue is that the Civ 6 starting plot code really isn't very good and has a lot of unused code, errors, shortcuts and no fallbacks.

I have to re-write a good portion of it to be able to do simple things like the "old world" option from Civ 4 and 5 or even just preventing a starting location on small islands. I'll get there but without the dll source it won't be a fast process. So... Soon? :)

Having taken a few intro classes to C++ and C#, I kind of understand, and appreciate your hard work. I was actually looking into the code files myself to see if I spotted anything out of the ordinary.

One thing to note, was "24 max civs," which I dont think would be the cause of the above mentioned problem, but that could cause other problems with the option "no duplicate leaders," for the moment, as there isnt 24 civs/leaders yet. Once you find the cause of only 10 civs in enormous, we could try and see what happens when you make a game with 24 random civs, with no duplicate leaders option checked, to see what the game decides to do. Maybe... the game will spontaneously create 4 new civs with unique units and abilities!!!! No... probably not though. :p

Having taken a few intro classes to C++ and C#, I kind of understand, and appreciate your hard work. I was actually looking into the code files myself to see if I spotted anything out of the ordinary.

One thing to note, was "24 max civs," which I dont think would be the cause of the above mentioned problem, but that could cause other problems with the option "no duplicate leaders," for the moment, as there isnt 24 civs/leaders yet. Once you find the cause of only 10 civs in enormous, we could try and see what happens when you make a game with 24 random civs, with no duplicate leaders option checked, to see what the game decides to do. Maybe... the game will spontaneously create 4 new civs with unique units and abilities!!!! No... probably not though. :p
I wouldn't call it work, it's therapy for me since I do digital marketing all day every day programming gives me something that still satisfies my bizarre love of formulas and statistics for a more interesting end result rather than making people spend money.

I don't touch any of the civ restrictions, there isn't even any sort of check for duplicate civs or leaders in the lua files that I've seen so if you break that you're on your own :)

Seven05 updated Larger Worlds with a new update entry:

Size matters

Landmass size now matters! This has a HUGE impact on starting plot placement!

And, hopefully fixed not getting the full number of desired civs on a map.

This update is pretty significant. I was finally able to get the landmass size code to work so starting plot evaluation for major civs now has a size requirement built in. This should scale well with map sizes but I didn't test ever possible extreme combination like 16 civs on a small island plates map :)

This also has the pleasant side effect of leaving all of the lesser land to the city states. If you liked the "plus" map scripts in Civ 5 you'll like this. It's not nearly as complicated since I don't force them to start off the largest landmass but since the major civs require the larger landmasses the city states will take what's left. You can also, at random, end up with several city states occupying an entire landmass on their own without any major civs depending on the whims of the RNG code.

Finally, I altered the distance buffer code. Previously it used the default number of city states (15 on a large map) now it uses 1+ the default number of players (11 on a large map) with more aggressive scaling when you use more or less than the default number of civs. You may still encounter maps with fewer than the default number of city states if the landmass shapes or sea level limit player placement too much.

Last edited:
It's great that you managed to put the city states on smaller islands, albeit by accident.
Lol, it wasn't exactly "by accident" the landmass size restriction only exist for major civs and my hope was for that change to push the city states onto the islands. Combined with their lower "fertility" requirements, lower buffer distances (between each other, major civs, resources and wonders) I figured this changes would be the most important part. I just don't have any code specifically trying to assign them to the smaller landmasses like the Civ 5 "plus" maps did. :)

Confirmed. I get the same issue on enormous also.
With the latest version? I ran several tests and all 16 players spawned each time. I was normally missing some city states (hard to cram 24 of them on one map) but all players spawned. What map type and options were you using?

Oh no more selecting the civs you want and to find out only 4 of the 10 showed up to play? lol I am hoping your small continents are working good now, the larger the map the better in my opinion.

Something I am noticing on maps that are larger then the stock huge. Some civs will act confused and sit in one city or maybe 4 max. China, Aztec, quite a few seem to sit there not knowing how to approach larger worlds. Anyone else noticed this at all?

There is still some problem. Downloaded latest version of Large worlds. Then I started massive continents with 10 civs, but in game I can just see 8 civs. Im using Detailed worlds together with Large worlds.

Ah this game hates me... Or loves me and hates all of you. I'll try easing up the restrictions for now. I really need to write my own method for this since the way they did it is a simple pass/fail and doesn't retry civs that failed to find a home.

Foxy, the AI should handle the larger maps fine but the default AI has problem on any map. I haven't seen stagnant AI while using AI+

I am using Harder AI mod that includes AI+.

The new configurations are incredible. Seven05 the map it created was spectacular to say the least. I had 2 other civs on my land with me but how it was designed, there were bottle necks between both civs, plop down a city both of them, I am good. I have a screenshot of it, one of those most interesting land masses I have ever seen in any Civ game. Good job this works fine, I would like a map like Civ 4 had planet generator 68 it was called. You could create any type map you want, which is what I like. Standard maps are boring to small.

I am using Mynex map pack and yours together. I ran a 22 player map, with your detailed map mod it was great thanks for your efforts and providing us all more enjoyment. I am just ecstatic with excitement, I quit that game though I had 30 warcarts at my door step somehow early game. Spam King Gilgamesh :smoke:

Ah this game hates me... Or loves me and hates all of you. I'll try easing up the restrictions for now. I really need to write my own method for this since the way they did it is a simple pass/fail and doesn't retry civs that failed to find a home.

Foxy, the AI should handle the larger maps fine but the default AI has problem on any map. I haven't seen stagnant AI while using AI+

I seem to be experiencing a horde of barbarians, I destroy a camp, begin to walk back to my city. It spawns again, I destroy it, and it spawns again, different locations and I am getting huge promotions but wow! I lost 2 trade carts, I can't stop them from spawning, another bug sorry pal. Game stopper I am afraid.

I hope you do write your own, it will be awesome especially compared to what is there. I understand it is down and dirty to get it done, probably figuring at Firaxis we will change it anyways.

Last edited:
I seem to be experiencing a horde of barbarians, I destroy a camp, begin to walk back to my city. It spawns again, I destroy it, and it spawns again, different locations and I am getting huge promotions but wow! I lost 2 trade carts, I can't stop them from spawning, another bug sorry pal. Game stopper I am afraid.

I hope you do write your own, it will be awesome especially compared to what is there. I understand it is down and dirty to get it done, probably figuring at Firaxis we will change it anyways.
I don't touch anything with the barbarians, that's more like a bug with Harder AI if not just a problem from the base game. Keep in mind that the default barbarian camp rules are 3 per civ so if you have 22 civs that's a crapload of barb camps :)

I am using Harder AI mod that includes AI+........

I have not had this problem...only thing I can mention is that decent starting locs are hit and miss. When I finally 'settle' on one it is usually great.

All in all enjoying your mod seven05 :thumbsup:

Ok I think I found the issue with the number of civs.

I ran a ton of tests using similar settings in the Civ 5 world builder (it's faster) and the verified my guess with fancy math in excel. Across all map sizes the total avaliable land per player is nearly identical when using the default number of players. So scaling the buffer distance by map size isn't the best way to do this. What I need to do is come up with better evaluations of the individual landmasses and use that to ensure each player start has enough usable land around them. That won't be easy but I do have a good start to it.

I'll post an update tonight with a quick fix, the propper fix will take longer.

Seven05 updated Larger Worlds with a new update entry:

Buffer Distance Limits

Added upper and lower limits to the distance buffer. Increased the effect of adding/subtracting players form the default number for the map size.

This update SHOULD resolve the issues some people were having with less than the number of selected players showing up in a game. I can't guarantee you will get all players if you try something crazy like 20 civs on a large map but with the default number there should no longer be any issues.

There seems to be an issue with the "Legendary Start" option causing fewer than intended number of civs. Also just ran a default settings enormous Island Plates map and ended up with only 15 civs.

You're doing the lords work though, Seven05! Thank you!

I'll have to look into the legendary start code, I don't specifically modify any of that but I may very well be breaking it. I was sure to avoid any of the balanced start code but that's all clearly marked. I tried to make a simple exception for island plates but it looks like that might not be working. I need a better way to evaluate the actual map which means re-writing a ton of the base Firaxis code which isn't something I look forward to doing :)

Top Bottom