Larger Worlds (Abandonded)

Larger Worlds (Abandonded) 2.31

If I had the time I'd volunteer to help Seven05! Things do seem to be working alright on Enormous, default, continents. I figured the issue was with Island Plates not having a ton of land and so some civs getting booted.

If only we could run this game on super computers and have ludicrously-enormous maps. [wistful sigh]

Hi :)
I am using both your mods (Larger world, Detailed worlds) and i was wondering if there is a simple way to change the minimum distance i can settle next to a city. It seems to be 4 hexes in between cities on a massive map. I couldn't find it in the files i checked, so i guess it's in one of the lua scripts.

Hi :)
I am using both your mods (Larger world, Detailed worlds) and i was wondering if there is a simple way to change the minimum distance i can settle next to a city. It seems to be 4 hexes in between cities on a massive map. I couldn't find it in the files i checked, so i guess it's in one of the lua scripts.
I would start with this mod-> Cities Gap 4 and then work backwards from his changes. I don't plan on adding anything beyond world size & starting location adjustments in this mod and "Detailed Worlds" is all about adding map types and making them look pretty rather than any major gameplay changes.

Thanks for your pointer Seven05, but the mod doesn't seem to work for me. :)

Enormous map ctd at around 150 turns. my rig is more than capable too.

Thanks for your pointer Seven05, but the mod doesn't seem to work for me. :)
Sorry, I never tried that mod myself since I'm happy with the current city distance. If you ask for help in the main Creation & Custimization forum somebody who knows where you need to make that change should chime in.

Enormous map ctd at around 150 turns. my rig is more than capable too.
Do you have any other mods running? This one only runs when the world is generated so if you survive that step it's not my code that killed the game :)

Seven05 updated Larger Worlds with a new update entry:

Limited Players per Landmass

New player limit by landmass size:
  • Very Small landmasses avoided
  • Small landmasses will only have one player
Limits are 20+ tiles for players as a hard minimum except on water maps (island plates for example). The map is evaluated for total usable land (not water or mountains) and based on that count a minimum landmass size is determined for landmasses that can have multiple players on them.

Example: A large (128x60) map with 60% water will have approximately 3000 usable...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Do the larger maps generate more city states and natural wonders? if so, how many?
The game is pre-set to generate 1.5 city states per player regardless of map size. The new sizes allow more players so technically they allow more city states.

Both new sizes allow for 8 natural wonders.

i've tried the enormous map a few times eventually it will CTD. i'm running gtx 980 ti, 4ghz cpu, 16gb ddr3 ram and w10 64x the game just does not like bigger maps.

You may need to tone down some graphics settings. I'm running an old i7 3770, GTX 1080 and 32 gigs and I can let the AI Autoplay well beyond 200 turns on an enormous map with 16 players. It sounds like a memory issue but that's just a guess.

Yea, Im running enormous marathon map right now with over 1,100 turns and 19 civs. No problems yet, although im still using 1.1 since I started this game like 3 weeks ago.

Win 10, 16g ddr3, AMD fx 9590 8 Core 4.7ghz, and GTX 980.

Thanks Seven, hope to see your mod skyrocket on steam workshop when it opens.

Thanks Seven, hope to see your mod skyrocket on steam workshop when it opens.
That'll be interesting, I get hammered with notifications from my Stelaris mods and that game is nowhere near as popular as Civ games.

i've tried the enormous map a few times eventually it will CTD. i'm running gtx 980 ti, 4ghz cpu, 16gb ddr3 ram and w10 64x the game just does not like bigger maps.
I have a similar config and didn't get crash on map even biggers than enormous, maybe you've got more crashes because there are more civs on the map which means more possibility for the game to create a situation that could lead to one of the post-patch crash ?

The game is pre-set to generate 1.5 city states per player regardless of map size. The new sizes allow more players so technically they allow more city states.

Both new sizes allow for 8 natural wonders.

Is that per actual player, or per potential player? I would assume the first, but then there's a lot I assumed about civ 6 that turned out not to be the case....

Also, on a huge map with 1 human and three AI players, how far should I be from the first AI player? It seems like even with your mod it's not more than a dozen turns...

I'm using this mod along with Detailed Worlds on the latest (winter) patch. Whether I pick "massive" or "enormous", I am still only able to select a max of 12 civs.

Am I missing something? Is anyone else able to select more than 12?

Edit: I just realized the 12 civ limitation is with multiplayer (by design). In single player it works as advertised. Now to find a way to increase this...

Edit 2: For those interested..To make it larger than 12 civs you have to edit StagingRoom.lua (credit to Gedemon)

Change 12 to desired number for these 2 lines:

local MAX_EVER_PLAYERS : number = 12;

and

g_currentMaxPlayers = math.min(MapConfiguration.GetMaxMajorPlayers(), 12);

Last edited:
Is that per actual player, or per potential player? I would assume the first, but then there's a lot I assumed about civ 6 that turned out not to be the case....

Also, on a huge map with 1 human and three AI players, how far should I be from the first AI player? It seems like even with your mod it's not more than a dozen turns...
Sorry I missed your post. The only value exposed to us uses 1.5x the number of default players but the part where it actually decides the number of minor civs is pulled form the DLL (PlayerManager and StartPositioner methods). I never bothered to count with with extreme settings like 4 civs on a map made for 12 :)

The spacing between players was reduced a couple version ago since people were missing civs. When you have fewer that the default number of civs it will space them out more but I capped the max distance at 16 tiles. If you only play games with very few players you can extend it more. My base rule is 11 tiles +/- the difference between the actual number of players and the default number for that map size. So 11 + 8 (12 default - 4 actual) in your example would be 19 tiles but it would be capped to 16 by my code. The default game buffer was 5 tiles +2 if you had fewer players than the default. The problem here is that an excessive buffer is likely to result in some players missing depending on the actual map so I capped it at a number that worked with all of my testing.

If you want to play around with it here's the code you need to find and change in AssignStartingPlots.lua:
Code:
    if iMaxStart > 16 then
        iMaxStart = 16;
    elseif iMaxStart < 8 then
        iMaxStart = 8;
    end

Change it to this:
Code:
    if iMaxStart < 8 then
        iMaxStart = 8;
    end
Or just remove them entirely if you like living dangerously :)

Sorry I missed your post. The only value exposed to us uses 1.5x the number of default players but the part where it actually decides the number of minor civs is pulled form the DLL (PlayerManager and StartPositioner methods). I never bothered to count with with extreme settings like 4 civs on a map made for 12 :)

The spacing between players was reduced a couple version ago since people were missing civs. When you have fewer that the default number of civs it will space them out more but I capped the max distance at 16 tiles. If you only play games with very few players you can extend it more. My base rule is 11 tiles +/- the difference between the actual number of players and the default number for that map size. So 11 + 8 (12 default - 4 actual) in your example would be 19 tiles but it would be capped to 16 by my code. The default game buffer was 5 tiles +2 if you had fewer players than the default. The problem here is that an excessive buffer is likely to result in some players missing depending on the actual map so I capped it at a number that worked with all of my testing.

If you want to play around with it here's the code you need to find and change in AssignStartingPlots.lua:
Code:
    if iMaxStart > 16 then
        iMaxStart = 16;
    elseif iMaxStart < 8 then
        iMaxStart = 8;
    end

Change it to this:
Code:
    if iMaxStart < 8 then
        iMaxStart = 8;
    end
Or just remove them entirely if you like living dangerously :)

Would it be easy / worth it for you to change the cap(s) based on the actual map size? So that an enormous map that was very underpopulated had a higher maximum than a smaller map underpopulated by the same amount?

*snip*

Thinking about it, a universal -- albeit potentially very very slow -- way to do it would be to calculate the starting distance based on the size of the map and the number of players; then, if not all players could be placed, decrement the starting distance and try again, iterating until you reach the minimum amount of space between cities or you succeed.

I have no idea if that's actually possible or not, though -- given that your initial buffer resulted in players missing, I suspect it isn't at least at the moment (I'm not on our gaming computer, so I can't go look at the lua code to see).

Top Bottom