1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Largest Map Sizes?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by steemroller, Sep 1, 2016.

1. steemroller

steemroller Chieftain

Has anyone gleaned through demo or interview any information on how large the supported map sizes will be? The cities seem very "bunched" with the unstacked city tiles. I'm hoping that the game is not just layered with such unstacked cities.

2. chaotoroboto

chaotoroboto Warlord

They haven't addressed this in any specific sense and the playthroughs we've seen are all on the same size map, but there are a few vague quotes to maps being 'about 20% or 25% bigger' or things on those lines.

There are some older posts in here where people try to parse if that means 20% more land on the same number of tiles, or 20% more tiles.

We definitely know that city spacing is still at a 3-tile buffer and that the default map size holds 8 players.

3. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

We also know that cities work the same max number of tiles as in Civ 5.

4. BrokenBokken

BrokenBokken Warlord

I would definitely expect cities to be bunched together more tightly this time.

5. VicRatlhead5199

VicRatlhead5199 King

Don't you kind of want them at least a little bunched to get adjacency bonuses from districts? I can't imagine that 6 tiles will be optimal even without road maintenance.

6. jimbobduggar

jimbobduggar Chieftain

well have to wait for more info but I hope the maps are huge.

7. Thorburne

Thorburne Centurion

I think that they will... I don't buy the "just increased landmasses" explanation. Well, the reason that they would be is the map dimensions are bigger.

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

8. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

Huge maps beg for longer games or faster movement, either of which could be interesting if implemented correctly.

9. BrokenBokken

BrokenBokken Warlord

I would love playing on huge maps if movement speed was greatly increased. With more geographically realistic terrain.

10. Craig_Sutter

Craig_Sutter Deity

A lot of the combat seems to be based upon more restricted movement than civ 5... slingers, for example, would be dead meat with greater movement for melee units.

11. BrokenBokken

BrokenBokken Warlord

Not if the movement and sight increases were directly proportional to the size increase of the map.

12. Thorburne

Thorburne Centurion

For me, larger maps should bigger played on marathon or epic.

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

13. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Emperor

Competition for space is a big part of civ. I feel like it shoulda been bigger in V but happiness killed it and 4 city tradition empires beat the corpse with a stick. I like the idea that you trip over other people and that you don't always get your perfect spot. We don't need cities that have their own full set of tiles each and we don't need enough space to expand until we're bored. Those are the ingredients for Beyond Earth.

I always found even by the end of the game in V on a standard map with 8 Civs, there was land spare yet to settle too.

14. VicRatlhead5199

VicRatlhead5199 King

Same here, always went epic for large and marathon for huge.