Last Days of Weissen

Fatima stared down the barrel of her gun. A buck was peacefully grazing on the undergrowth foilage in the forest outside of the village. The stag was completely unaware it was being watched, and moments away from its death. Fatima held her breath, focusing her entire being on keeping her sawed-off firestaff steady, not even thinking. Everything paused for the single moment, and-

A single tap on Fatima's shoulder sent her in a frenzied panic. Fatima instinctivelly tapped on the trigger, causing a bullet to ricochet out of the barrell into a tree. The stag, hearing the commotion, quickly dashed further into the foilage, joining a distressed flock of birds that scurried into the sky.

Fatima cursed in her mother tounge as she turned to face her blonde haired companion, who stared into the distance with a blank, sheepish face.

"What the hell do you think you are doing," Fatima angirly cursed out.

Gerda sturrted, "Um.... I just wanted to know.... why we were out here.... And why you were in a bush"

Fatima growled as she stepped out of the foilage. "I was here to practice my aim, but now it seems to be bothered by you."

"No," Gerda meekly countered, "I mean why did you ask me to come with you?"

The Kalmarian just angirly stared at Gerda, before a sudden ephinay crashed through her mind. "Oh yes, that's right! Come with me to the tree stump over there."

The two kneeled at remains of a once proud tree as Fatima unraveled a parchment hidden in her greatcoat. A map of the village was covered in furious marks of red ink, detailing intracate plans of vantage points andescape routes.

"There is a noble here who is trying to run away as the demons come close," Fatima lectured to her companion. "He is a coward and a scoundrel, and nobody will miss him if he was dead. Plus he is a noble. Do I need to say more?"

Gerda awkwardly stared at the revolutionary hobo that she has growingly regretted following on a whim. The Weissian wasn't sure if she was uncomfortable with being part of an assassination plot or that Fatima still hasn't figured out her aristocratic heritage.

"My plan," Fatima beamed, "is to hide in this building I circled here to the left. After rigious casing, I discovered it overlooks the mayor's house, where the noble is currently trying to plead his case for added protection. and there is a nice balcony where I can make an escape after I take my shot.

I am going to sneak into the building while the meeting is scheduled to go on, at around 9 PM. Once the mayor and the coward say their pieces, I'll lob a bullet in his brain, and get the hell out before the constabulary is alerted. The fact that a firestaff was used should be enough to say that a Kalmarian did the deed, but if it isn't, I want you to secure a paint can and paint-"

"S-s-Secure?"

Fatima nodded, "Borrow, buy, I don't care. Just get a paint can, peferablly red, and write 'The Empress Sends Her Regards'. Not the same building I am camped in, but close enough that they make the logical connection. Then run like hell and meet up with me here in the forest.

Any questions?"

"Um.... Yeah," Gerda meekly countered. "Um.... Is this the right thing-"

The Kalmarian sighed as she put a hand on the shoulder of the blonde girl. "Look Gerda, I was like you once. Young, naive. World isn't a nice place. I told you I wanted to make the kingdom burn."

"Yeah, but-"

"No buts. I'm not even asking you to kill. Just help me set the spark for the grandest revolution you'll ever see. You ready for that?"

Gerda nodded, if with hesisitation. "Y-y-yeah."

"Good," Fatima smiled, "glad to have you on board. Tell you what. When this all blows over, tommorow I'll take you to the library, get some books on previous revolutionary groups. Maybe we can learn some things together. You like books, right?"

Gerda nooded once again, which caused Fatima to happily slap the former's shoulder.

"Good, now I have to run off. Get that paint can for me. Red, if you can, please."

Fatima quickly jumped back in her feet, grabbing the map off the stump and running off. A second later, and the Kalmarian vanished in the forest, leaving Gerda behind to finally realize what the hell she agreed too.

Oh Fu-

Spoiler :
Major Action is doing priority mission A Coward's Hunt, using the assassination method we discussed on chat.

Minor Action one is Fatima practicing her aim by hunting.

Minor Action two is Fatima and Gerda checking books out in the library about revolutions and studying what is in them

Resolutions: You must now choose how to end your missions. You must choose between these decisions... or create your own... as quickly as possible. Once everyone has made their decisions, I'll begin the full update. If you make no choices, I'll likely choose a random one for you.

Spoiler Lunet :

Cough Cough*: Goblin dwellings are nasty place, and you can easily determine your proximity from one from the sheer smell. Such goblins are often led by a hobgoblin—a demonic race that appears to act as a “queen bee” of the hive of goblins—if queen bees were predominantly male, of course.

Many a brave adventurer decide to choose slaying goblins as their first task. An amateur mistake. Goblins are considered barely sentient, only able to have the intelligence and strength of a very small child at most. These people often forget that wolves, despite being decidedly dumber than a small child, are very cunning beasts indeed, and that the little buggers (children, not goblins) can be very agile. Goblins thus mark the beginning of many careers… but also the end of many.

Thus, you decide that the easiest way to avoid those rookie mistakes of underestimating goblins and fighting them in their home turf is to send a poisonous mist into their warrens and gas them to death. Unfortunately, the plan goes awry at three points.

1. This is not the only entrance into the Goblin borrows. Desperate and cowardly goblins are already streaming out of the their holes in dozens—out of sight, but not out of hearing range.

2. Windflow within the cave appears to be working against your plans. The flow of wind within the cave appear to suddenly reverse, now sending the toxin-filled smoke right back at you. Trivial matter for defending for a mage of your…caliber… of course, but Aiforn may not be so lucky. Your mind’s eye detects a faint trace of another magic user within the cave systems—a hobgoblin shaman perhaps—who are likely responsible for the change in the flow of wind.

3. Probably unimportant, but the little bits of toxins escaping out of minor holes appear to be killing what little flora there is left around here. Unimportant, you’re sure.

(Will and Magic +3. Strength and Blades +1. Your ruthless score has risen)

Decisions

1. Airblast, NOW! (Will and Magic. Difficulty Rating: 14). You can almost certainly overpower a single hobgoblin shaman with your magic, but you’ll likely be forced to allow the goblins to disperse into the wind. Nevertheless, you can strive for partial pay for the mission. Playing tug of war with a dangerous glob of toxic smoke may have consequences. Your brave score, along with Bringer of Death, may increase. Very slight increase in Will score..)

2. Aiforn, away! (Strength and Blades. Difficulty Rating: 12). Discretion is part of the valor, and instead of going after the magic user within the cave system, you can just run with Aiforn carrying you towards the goblin escapees and burn them alive with your magic. An almost trivial affair for you—as long as Aiforn can keep carrying you. Kill them enough, and you’ll likely be able to earn partial credit. Be warned that Aiforn running out of stamina in a region likely to be soon inundated with toxins would have consequences. (Very slight increase in strength and blades score if successful, along with increase in Ruthlessness)

3. Retreat. (Discretion is part of the valor, and in fact, almost all of it. Your Subtle rating will increase. Slight increase in agility)

Minor Decisions

Ahahahaha…. Wait, you are serious:
You showed your extremely reasonable idea to the Priests of Potrac and they laughed at you, and so on. Fortunately you were still able to glean some useful information from library books involving various mysterious causes for illnesses, and it is likely that you will show them all in the future. (WIL and KNO +1)

Alright, alright, just let me down!:
The poor unfortunate mage tells you everything you need to know, and then some. (You have gained new knowledge: potion brewing. You may now attempt to brew potions as a minor action)

Spoiler Alaric :

So what’s up with the mask? Are you il-*Crack*:

There we go, that wasn’t so hard.

You find your target easily enough: a middle-aged man not even bothering to hide his identity or keep a low profile in the city of Potrac. You quickly glean that this man is a former palace aide within the Termarian Empire. While most Termarians are not accepted with kindness so far out here in the west, you find that this man has settled in nicely, telling unlikely tales of mishaps and mischiefs that happened within the Draconic Empire that many Potrac residents listen to with avid interest.

You briefly wonder if his drunkenness and tendency to badmouth his own Empire and the Royal family is the reason for his arrest as you walk up to him one morning, as he walks to his job at the docks, and knock him unconscious with a pommel strike, tossing his limp body unceremoniously into a waiting carriage.

STR +3. AGI +1. Bold and Honorable has increased.

Resolution Decisions

1. Provide the man to the marshals, as you have agreed to do. (Additional Honorable increase. Normal quest reward)

2. Interrogate the man before you hand him into the marshals. You must know why he is wanted. (Charisma challenge: 14. There is a risk of lowered quest reward if you fail this additional check. Chance of charisma increase. Your subtle and melancholy quality will increase)

3. Spare the man in exchange for information. This will be tricky, considering that the driver of the carriage is on the marshal’s side. (Agility challenge: 12. You will obviously forgo the quest reward and earn the wrath of the Draconic Empire, but you will definitely know for sure why this man is wanted by the officials in Terma).

Minor Decisions

Fire and Blood: Try as you might, you are unable to attain further control of Damocles’s flames. “Perhaps,” it offers. “You should focus more on training your body, while I learn to harness the flames.”

A Surprisingly Friendly Reception: Most of the mercenaries are from the South, where they are less concerned with the threat of demons. They only fight here, in the north far away from their sunny homes, because of business. They are brutish man, not following the chivalrous codes and oaths of knights and paladins of Terma and Weissen, but they are experienced warriors and cheerful company. +1 STR.

Spoiler Troo Goodman :

Troo Goodman

Skittering Horrors, Vanquished

The spider’s the size of a cow. It has many eyes, and its limbs are sharpened to a point. Its mandibles menace and glisten with venom. Unfortunately for it, Troo Goodman has eaten cows before, so he figures that the spider isn’t really that tough anyways. He’ll only get really concerned if it’s, say, the size of a house. He hasn’t eaten anything the size of a house, after all. (Loomy decides that it would be for the best to not to mention whale meat).

The spider, obviously unaware of the danger of facing an apex predator and a hero such as Troo Goodman, immediately charges after letting out a harsh screech. Goodman deals with the threat by kicking its head off, and that’s that.

+2 STR. +1 CHA. +Brave and +Charitable

Resolution Decisions:

1. Take its head back to the guild to get paid. (Normal Quest reward. +Honorable)

2. Eat the Spider. And then take its head back to the guild. (Seriously…? STR Check: 12. No particular change in reward or quality, but a risk of losing part of the reward if failed. Slight increase in strength possible)

3. Experiment with it. (Will and Knowledge check: 15. Chance of learning more about Geld’s bindings on these creatures. Very slight chance of increase in Gloom and WIL)

Raking Leaves: Not quite the most heroic things to do, but you decide to rake the leave for villagers. ALL the villagers. People laughed at you when you started. They weren’t quite laughing when you were finished. “Good work,” one of them tells you. “Now maybe we could talk to you about—“ Loomy suddenly insists that it has developed stomach problems, and you two quickly depart the village as mysterious as you appeared. +1 Adulation of the Common Folk

Punching Trees: Unfortunately, in this barbaric land of the west, there’s nobody to swing trees at you like they do in Termarian Empire. You instead try to see if you can punch a tree hard enough that it recoils back and hits you in the face.

Unfortunately, in this barbaric land of the West, the trees are decidedly lacking in rubberiness, and breaks apart rather than swinging backwards. +1 STR.

Spoiler An-Nur :

An-Nur

Burning, Yearning.

You determine quickly enough that the spider itself is nothing special—one of the most common of summoned beasts. You are surprised that Geld even employed one—surely a mage of his caliber would have not been interested in expanding his magical power with maintaining control over such a simple creature—when he could be controlling lords of fire and water instead.

You find the creature quickly enough and, with a simple wave of your hand, erase it from existence.

+2 WIL. Increase in Charitable.

1. Turn in the head for the reward. (Normal Quest Reward. +Honorable)

2. Eat the Spider. And then take its head back to the guild. (Seriously…? STR Check: 12. No particular change in reward or quality, but a risk of losing part of the reward if failed. Slight increase in strength possible)

3. SPECIAL (Your will is higher than any other stat): This is impossible. There is no magic binding this spider. You must learn more. (WIL Challenge: 30. You will likely learn something even on a failure. Your mission reward may decrease on failure. Your Gloom will likely increase)

A small community of mages: Weissen has always been deficient in mages, but many adventuring hedge mages have been appearing in the land recently. They know that glory and money through mercenary work awaits in this lands, and quite a few are willing to share their secrets with you. (+1 WIL)

Hand to Hand Combat: You try to learn how to fight with your companion, but both of you are unsuitable for such an endeavor, and end up exhausting yourself with no particular increase in skill.

Spoiler Arthur :

They remain unconvinced.

You give a speech. An impassioned speech, by any criteria. Some of the villagers seem moved, but most do not. Some of them believe that they will be spared—as long as they provide the demons tribute. What difference is there, really, in trading taxes owed to nobles to tributes owed to invaders? That is not all the demons will demand, of course. They will likely demand slaves as well. Out of willful ignorance of this information, perhaps, many of the villagers refuse to leave their homes. They largely hope… and wish for the war to leave them alone, both from demons and nobles.

Or perhaps it is malice. Perhaps they already know whom they will offer as sacrifice to the demons. There are plenty of refugees, the poor, and the desperate, even in this small town.

+3 CHA. +Melancholy and Charitable.

Decisions

1. Leave. The hollow-eyed priest offers a sad smile as he helps the few villagers who have agreed to leave the village. “I have done my duty, and you have done what I’ve asked for. Nothing less, nothing more,” he says. “Thank you. I believe I’ll be staying here, with the majority of my parishioners.” (You will receive Gleam, the Favor of the Church and Gratitude of the Hollow-Eyed Priest…for as long as he has left to live.)

2. If they will not listen to logic and reason, they will listen to force. Demons will surely remain unconvinced of the villager’s rights to remain outside of this war in peace. Honestly, you aren’t that convinced either. (Strength difficulty rating: 10. Your Ruthless and charitable score will increase. Your strength rating will slightly increase. Bringer of Death may increase on failure. This option will shock the priest… but may still result in a reward.).

3. Tell them that if they wish to stay, that they must fight. (Charisma Challenge: 12. If these villagers are so adamant in staying… you shall respect their choices. But inform them in no uncertain way that the demons shall not respect their choices. Slight increase in Charisma. Bringer of Death shall massively increase. Hope and melancholy shall slightly increase as well)

-Coastal Nobles: A visit from a Termarian noble to the coast! Many of the nobles, resentful of the rise of Lady Emilia, are grateful and honored to have you at their home. Your naïve ideological outlook appear to amuse them more than anything, however. The marcher lords have never lost territory to a demonic invasion in centuries, after all. They feel safe here, far away from the borders.

It is not a total loss, however. You hear a disturbing rumor—that some among the coastal nobles may even be plotting or abetting some kind of understanding between humans and demonic invaders. Center of the rumor, as it usually is in coastal politics, is Lady Emilia.

-The passing woman who bought your painting is most unusual indeed. Firstly, she is a free Beastwoman, dressed in fine clothing of a southern merchant. There is a mischievous grin on her face as she buys your painting—the handshake she offers you to conclude the exchange is somewhat excessive, and the pouch of gold she hands you perhaps even too rewarding. She shushes your concerns that you are being overpaid for your services. “You have no idea how much demand there is for a painting drawn by a naïve and ideological hero on his first adventure.” She’s gone before you can ask how she knew all that. (+25 Gold)

Spoiler Devid :

There is more.

The palisades are weak, the villagers weak-minded. The defenses are unprepared, and the priest sent out his best men to be killed for naught. Foolishness, but you and the recognize something important. You understood something fundamental that people never quite understood despite centuries of preaching by the True Faithful. The foolishness is not in the deficiency of preparation for war. No, true foolishness is that war as a concept even exists. Lymilark is a Goddess of Light, Peace, Balance, Order, and most important of all, Freedom. A seemingly contradictory doctrine, perhaps to a less enlightened mind. But you and I both understand, do we not?

But you understand. Both you and the priest understand, you think, deep down. This war. This chaos and panic in the village. All these bloodshed and tragedies. There would be no such thing, if people could live free. This is the reason she cast down the Nameless God: God of Darkness and Tyranny. She was trying to free our souls. She ultimately failed, of course. Mortalkind had long lost its innocence already, and she was far too merciful to give it back.

You are not a merciful man, although the Hollow-Eyed Priest may disagree.

Your quick demonstration of force demoralizes the villagers further…enough that many more of the truly desperate and terrified consider leaving the village. Not all decide to leave, of course, but enough to please the Hollow-Eyed Priest. Your employer is happy, if somewhat disappointed at the ease with which you destroyed a palisade—as rotten and unreinforced as it was.

+3 WIL. +1 CHA. +Melancholy, Clever

-Accept the reward: The Hollow-Eyed Priest is grateful. He bequeaths you his medallion, gleaming with power of the First Traveler, who sought to free all souls.

-Reject the reward: The Hollow-Eyed Priest will be even more grateful (Bonus to Favors with the Church. Slight increase in Charisma)

-Interrogate the Priest: The Hollow Eyed Priest… and the faithful in particular, must know more about Her Grace. You must know all you can. (Charisma Check: 14. Failure may disappoint the Priest. Slight increase in subtle. Slight increase in charisma)

-Minor Action: Meditating by the Iron Oak does not have any benefit… for a normal mage, perhaps. You and I both know that source of magic in the world comes from souls—and more importantly—connections. Here, in the quiet silence, you can spot the invisible threads that bind all things together…. not you, of course. You are free, after all. (+1 Gleam, +1 WIL)

-Minor Action: Much of Geld’s writings were censored by what’s left of the Church, and very few pieces now remain here in Weissen, where the Faithful are still powerful. Interestingly enough, much of his writings during his time as a student appear to be focused on legalities and definitions of words, rather than actual magic.

Spoiler Sant Goren :

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum.

State of the defenses in this village is terrible. Palisades are rotting and defenders underequipped for starters. Worst of all, there appears to be a hole in the walls due to some idiot mage blasting it apart accidentally. Or something. You try your best, nonetheless, bringing the best of your knowledge from the Great Holy War. You set up barricades in the streets and fill in the holes in the walls with chunks of wood. You dig ditches and stick spikes in them. Somebody informs you that the hinges of the palisades are rusty, and that the doors don’t quite close alright. You try your best.

In the end, what you accomplish is quite remarkable and presentable, considering where you started from. In doing so, you have done your job. Of course, you could always stay and fight for additional reward…

(+6 STR +3 Agility)

1. Double or Nothing: This will be risky, but you may attempt to stay and fight, betting your reward for this mission for additional opportunity for loot. Needless to say, you will only able to claim partial reward if you fail your mission… but it could be worth it. Very worth it. (Strength Challenge: 16. Failing this may have consequences. Your strength rating will slightly increase. Your Bringer of Death score shall increase. Your brave score shall increase)

2. Take the reward and leave. A most prudent choice. (Normal quest reward. Extra bonus to honorable)

3. Provide magical support: You could, alternatively, offer to provide your service as a mage to the militia to help them defend this village from imminent attack. (Will challenge: 14. Extra bonus to brave. Your will score may slightly increase.)

Minor actions:

1. You swing your blade in perfect form, but learn nothing new.

2. The Faithful, and what little lorebook that has not been approve by the Faith, claim that there was only light in the beginning. That all the world was illuminated, before the Nameless God rose, bringing darkness for the first time into the lands. The Nameless God was the God of Tyranny, they say, and they were the one who placed mortals into this world: a long corridor of history. The only light that illuminates this world is the ever-burning torch: Lymilark, forever vigilant against the encroaching darkness… (Gleam +1. Gloom +1)

Spoiler Cathyra :

This is all wrong.

Nobody even knows who is quite buried here. The one who carried the body here was a foreigner, and the tomb was built almost overnight by magic. People claim that the body belonged to that of a particularly evil mage, and that their spirit still haunts the graves.

The corpse belongs to that of an adventurer. An adventurer? Now we are being too lenient with the label, are we not? Grave robber, more like. The corpse is almost unrecognizable as a human being now—bugs have eaten most of its recognizable features. You shine your torch and do your best not to recoil away in disgust as the skittering insects scramble away, fleeing from the light.

A job is a job, however. As you grab on to the body (with gloves) to bring it to the nearest coroner, you suddenly find yourself somewhere else. For a moment, you are nothing but a passenger in some long-lost memory, screaming in wide-eyed horror as a madwoman gouges out one of your eyes with a knife.

Then, you are back to your real body. The body of the foolish adventurer before you is gone, as if it had never existed. There is a whispering in the wind—“leave this place.”

+2 STR.

1. Well, the corpse is gone, so you might as well collect the money. (Normal quest reward)

2. You never quite believed in ghost anyways despite all evidence to the contrary. Let’s check out the tomb (Have you got a deathwish? This will likely have consequences. No good shall possibly arise from this)

3. Carve out your own eyes and offer them to the Tomb (What madness has convinced you that this is a good idea?)

4. Send one of your companion into the Tomb (Surely you jest).

Minor Action:

1. There is a sense of fear and panic among the Marcher lords, and they are always glad to have a noble from Termaria come. Their smiles falter momentarily when they realize that your master is a bastard and that no help will likely be forthcoming from the Empire, but they are still rather hospitable folks. They swear that any help that you provide them will be repaid in the future, when the threat of demons is finally gone. They warn you, however, that there are many infiltrators from demonic realms these days, and not to trust everything you see and hear.

2. Mercenaries are reliable soldiers—said absolutely nobody, but it is surprisingly true in some cases. Mercenaries from the City of Samanos have a reputation to protect, and in many cases fight harder and more desperately than state troops to defend their own reputations. They are also gracious and cheerful people—to your master at least. Still, you learn somewhat from eavesdropping on their conservations as they try to teach their techniques and tricks to your young master (+1 STR)

Spoiler Valeska :

The great equalizer

Guns have always been an equalizer of forces, whether people have realized it or not. Their powers are comparable to a poorly enchanted bow and arrows, but they do not require mages to do so. You have been in the south, where the Empress brought her visions to reality. You know, in your heart, that when you sell these weapons to these Weissener, so far from the light of civilization, you aren’t selling them weapons. You are selling them the future.

The militia purchase them. They must purchase them. They grumble while doing so—a minor incident back at the mayor’s palace… an incident regarding on Al-Kalmarian and a firestaff—but they are desperate enough not to care. They know that their defenses are weak and fragile, and your promise of being able to arm civilians with weapons and expect them to fight reasonably well against giant demons. The smuggler is pleased, and offers you a cask of wine from back home to celebrate a deal well made.

+2 CHA. +1 AGI. +Cynical. +Melancholy

1. Accept the reward: Wine is good, and the company of a fellow countryman is always sweet. Come, let us remember what we have lost. (Normal mission reward. +Melancholy

2. Accept the reward… and interrogate the man for information (Charisma Check: 16. He must surely know more about the black markets and criminal organizations here in Weissen… where you may be able to find more… hard to find goods and weapons. You’ll still be paid, but upon failure you might lose the respect of the merchant)

3. Rob the man. (Wait, really? Agility Challenge: 14. Obviously this will displease the merchant. Failing this will have consequences. Your heartless and ruthless score may increase.)

Minor Actions: The attempt at putting on makeup does not go well. All you’ve managed to do, it seems, is draw war-paint all over your face, frightening passing children and passerbys alike. You manage to flee the scene before the guards arrive to investigate a demon sighting (technically true, but hell if you allow yourself to be caught in this ridiculous manner).

You are an elf, however, and elves have always attempted to make the best of the situation. You walk into a council of cats holding a war meeting and make an impassioned speech about freedom from tyranny. Cats meow back in a decidedly mocking tone.

“Don’t worry about them,” one of them says as the others disperse. “I thought it was pretty nice.” Considering that cats can’t speak, you suppose that this is an accomplishment in itself.

Spoiler Bal*zer :

True face of cowardice

We have always taken for granted that we owe obligations to our family. Society and laws also demand that we owe our obligations to each other: perfect strangers. That is what the Knight’s vow boils down to. To defend complete strangers, just as they would defend their family—for no other reason than a manufactured feeling of connection to each other. Your employer has pondered this issue at some length, and have decided that his obligations to the family outweighed those of his vows.

You cannot help but give out a small smirk at staring into the true face of cowardice within the village: a haunted and desperate man, filled with regret, who nevertheless would not have chosen another path. Of course, you can never forget that this man is, ultimately, a noble. A man who ultimately views his subjects and consumables—to be spent and eaten. Digressions aside, you launch into your work for today while the man departs to make a final plea to the mayor, still obviously hoping to be released of his duties freely.

He never returns, but you and the family are under specific instructions to move ahead with the plan regardless of his well-being. You and the knight’s wife, a minor noble herself, quickly usher the nobleman’s son into a waiting carriage below. The knight’s wife tries to maintain composure, but you can tell, even without looking closely, that she is trembling.

Town militiamen properly bribed with your expert help and with some spirits turning away or distracting the more ‘principled’ town militia, you and the knight’s family travel more or less unimpeded through an increasingly panic-ridden street. You have ensured that the family is in a simple carriage, unbefitting of a noble. The two nobles are crammed together in the back with what paltry possessions that they can fit inside there. Nobody stops or checks your passage. Only the Hollow-Eyed Priest appears to be aware of what’s happening. Silence is deafening as the priest simply…watches you pass by, not saying nor betraying any emotion.

You breathe out a sigh of relief as the village disappears behind you, growing more distant as the carriage continues on. All that is left is dealing with the rest.

+2 CHA. +1 STR. +Clever. +1 Melancholy.

1. Accept Normal Reward: (Normal Quest reward and +honorable).

2. Hijack the Carriage: (Without the noble, this will be easy. So there are no rolls necessary. +Heartless and minor chance of Bringer of Death. Increased rewards.)

3. Suggest that the son travel with you for a while. (It is likely that the man was assassinated by his enemies. You suggest that splitting up may be for the best to ensure everyone’s safety. CHA Check: 16. Your Clever and Charitable rating may increase.)

Minor actions

1. Francine is sometimes seen outside of the manor, buying some books at the bookstore in Ci-Alen—Have you heard about the merchant of souls? Nasty business. Probably Al-Kalmarian or something—they say that the blue dragon, Hirru Hissu, lives somewhere west of here, in the sea. Unlikely tales, of course, but perhaps there are truth mixed in here somewhere. (CHA +1)

2. When you finish your contract with the spirits, you blink and look down at the paper in front of you. It appears as if the spirits have accidentally handed you a story that belonged to somebody else… but look! There’s your name written down there on the paper. You attempt to correct the error, but both the spirits and Dieter stops you in time. “Very well,” the spirits say. “We shall help you, this one time.” +Knowledge, Spirit Summoning. You may now call upon a spirit to provide a temporary buff to one of your skills as a minor action, reliably.

Spoiler Coppermace :

This is all wrong.

Nobody even knows who is quite buried here. The one who carried the body here was a foreigner, and the tomb was built almost overnight by magic. People claim that the body belonged to that of a particularly evil mage, and that their spirit still haunts the graves.

The corpse belongs to that of an adventurer. An adventurer? Now we are being too lenient with the label, are we not? Grave robber, more like. The corpse is almost unrecognizable as a human being now—bugs have eaten most of its recognizable features. You shine your torch and do your best not to recoil away in disgust as the skittering insects scramble away, fleeing from the light.

A job is a job, however. As you grab on to the body (with gloves) to bring it to the nearest coroner, you suddenly find yourself somewhere else. For a moment, you are nothing but a passenger in some long-lost memory, screaming in wide-eyed horror as a madwoman gouges out one of your eyes with a knife.

Then, you are back to your real body. The body of the foolish adventurer before you is gone, as if it had never existed. There is a whispering in the wind—“leave this place.”

1. Well, the corpse is gone, so you might as well collect the money. (Normal quest reward)

2. You never quite believed in ghost anyways despite all evidence to the contrary. Let’s check out the tomb (Have you got a deathwish? This will likely have consequences. No good shall possibly arise from this)

3. Carve out your daughter’s eyes and offer them to the Tomb (What madness has convinced you that this is a good idea?)

4. Send one of your companion into the Tomb (Surely you jest!).

Minor Action: The lands of Lymilark is cursed, and not many refugees wish to dare set foot inside the accursed holy lands. But you hear a rumor—of a merchant who have travelled all over the lands of Lymilark, bringing strange and mysterious wares out of the spirit-infested lands to sell to nobles and mages. They say her name is Lyra, a free beastwoman who wears the garbs of a southern merchant. Perhaps if you can find her, you can find a place to be safe within the lands of Lymilark.

Mercenaries have no shortage of work here in Weissen, sandwiched between the Demonic realms to the north and the burning lands of Lymilark in the South. Some have ventured into the lands there, and they tell you stories of horrors barely imaginable. (+1 STR)

Spoiler Fatima :

Like a Lightning Bolt

You listen, in silence, as the knight pleads his case to be released from service. He attempts to remind the mayor that he has provided valuable funds and services to the town in the past. He claims that he has family. Eventually, you tire of the knight’s list of excuses, and decide to strike.

Your first shot strikes the man in his arm. A mission failure, perhaps by your original plan, but you don’t quite care. You came here to kill this man, and you will not leave without his head. You leap down onto the balcony, shoving aside the shocked mayor, and lunge towards the knight with a drawn knife. The knight is desperate and wounded, but surprisingly not as cowardly as you thought he was. He stands his ground and draws his sword.

He might even have been a formidable opponent, if his sword arm wasn’t shot with a firestaff. You quickly end his existence with a kick to the groin and a thrust of a knife. The mayor cowers at the corner of the room, not quite able to comprehend the situation. There is a thudding at the door—concerned guards or aides who have heard the gunshot and sounds of fighting.

Time to go. You are away and gone like a lightning bolt. Gerda would obey her end of the bargain… so what comes next?

+5 Agility. +3 Strength. +Ruthless and Heartless. +1 Bringer of Death

1. Flee the village: You have done enough damage. (+Subtle, Melancholy)

2. Hunt down the rest of the knight’s family: they are cowards too. Unfortunately, this appears to be tougher than expected. (Agility Challenge: 20. +Heartless, Ruthless. Bringer of death will increase, and so will your agility)

3. Ransack the empty knight’s mansion: (Well, it’s not like he’s going to be needing much. Agility Challenge: 8. +Ruthless, Heartless.)

Minor Actions:

1. Ammo is scarcer here, in the north. You do your best, but you do not feel as if you have really gotten any progress.

2. There are no books on revolutions here, in Weissen. There are no revolutionary philosophical thinkers, or many philosophers at all. There may have been, but many were suppressed by the Faithful. Perhaps you could find more, in the library at the capital of Ci-Alen or the bishopric of High Priest Tomas, southeast of the capital.

Spoiler Reiza :

Reiza

Defenses are as to be expected for a village in mortal danger from demonic invaders, which is to say, completely unprepared. You cast your wards and talismans wherever they need, especially where some other idiot mage blasted a hole through the walls. For some odd reason.

You try your best.

You almost step on a caltrop scattered everywhere. You try your best.

Eventually, you can no longer try your best. Somebody from the Empire in the South have managed to sell an entire stockpile of guns to these barbarians. Now the air is thick with smoke and ash as the coughing villagers attempt to make sense of their new weapons, and you can no longer work in these conditions. Not a total waste, however. You have learned… much… in experimenting with wards.

+7 WIL. +3 AGI. +Bold, Clever, Honorable

1. Gambit (Will Challenge: 14. You can still claim part of your reward for additional payment by staying and fighting. Your will may increase slightly. Your Bringer of Death quality will rise. Your Brave quality will rise).

2. Leave now. (You have done, and learned, enough).

Minor Actions:

1. There’s not much in the records about Alis here. She is somewhat well known in the Academy of Vidos, for her prodigy, but she never quite made her fame outside of it before her death. You do manage to hear some urban legend that may be related to her. Story about a witch-girl with strange eyes that could foretell the future. They say that her eyes belonged to the Nameless God.

2. Waiting that letter.

Resolution 2

That's disgusting.

'Ish gibsh juu shom if juu haj a moush.' Troo said around an overflowing mouthful of arachnid filth. 'I chan rubsh ich on juu.'

I'm okay, thank you. I SAID I'M OK--.

The buckler said little, likely still skulking about the thick layer of slime covering it, on the long walk back to the marshal. It would soon have much to say when Troo, ever the hero, declined the gold reward, asking for the gold to be given those who lost livestock to his dinner. The buckler would be further disappointed when Troo revealed a spider-goop doggy-bag packed for tomorrow's dinner.

Blood was racing in Fatima's mind as she manically stabbed the noble over and over again. A sick, vengeful laugh bellowed in the hall of the mayor's house and blood started gushing everywhere.

The crazed revolutionary turned to the cowering mayor. I could kill him right now, she grinned to herself, make this village fall into anarchy.

No,
Fatima shook her head. There is a world's difference between beinh a revolutionary and being a mass murderer. She was here to spread a message, not to just indiscriminately decapitate the village's government.

"Weiss will burn," Fatima growled at the mayor, "And the Empire will feast on her ashes."

With that, the olive skinned woman dashed out of the mayor's house, to meet with her new comrade in arms by that tree stump in the forest.

Option One

Aiforn coughs a little.
"Wasn't that gas supposed to seep down?
-Yes, it was.
-So, what's happening?
-There's a mage down there.
-A goblin mage? Aren't goblins supposed to be stupid?
-Aren't beastmen too?
-Touché. Cough! So... can you do something?
-Of course, I can. Prepare to witness my powers!
(Maniacal laughter)
Airblast, NOW!
Spoiler :

DEVID'S RESOLUTION TO UPDATE 1.

The air was dry because of all the dust in the room. It wasn't that the Lymilark priests had no interest in keeping things tidy and clean. But this particular treasury hadn't been visited for a while. The Hollow-Eyed priest was looking through the mess of small chests, tidily stacked on top of each other.
"You did well," the priest said to his visitor. "You saved many souls."
"My tenet is to strive against death. I only did what I was tasked," said the visitor.
"Oh, Devid, I know you did," the priest said, investigating a small onyx chest with an ornate keyhole of bone. He then tossed it to the corner. "But mercy is to be rewarded with mercy."
"Mercy is a strange thing," Devid said, "So many people pulled from their homes. They live, of course, but sometimes the path to mercy is the strangest path."
The priest paused, holding a small wooden cube in his hands. Then he tossed it into a larger chest, which abruptly shut.
"Don't break your spirit with such thoughts," the priest said. "Not today, at least. You did something good for a lot of people."
Devid smiled. "I will always bestow greater happiness upon the world. Deeds sound in echoes."
Then the priest lightened up. He was holding an iron box in his hands. As he opened it, he took a small, beautiful medallion out of it. "This is the medallion of the First Traveler," the priest said, "He who freed all souls."
Devid looked at the artifact. It gleamed in the candlelight, yet the fire in it resounded in the room. This was a strange item, indeed. He looked up at the Hollow-Eyed priest, ready to accept it, but he only saw reservation in the priest's eyes. This old artifact, kept away in the treasury for who knows how long, and Devid, a perfect stranger, was to take the piece away from the shrine. Devid bowed gracefully.
"Thank you, master," Devid said, "But I believe it's not my place to rob Lymilark of her treasures just yet. I am not worthy yet."
The priest warmed up with delight. "You're such a kind soul. We serve you bounty for saving those people, and yet you deny it."
Devid smiled. "Well, I could do with some bounty. I heard you had some home-made tea stocked in the cantine?"
"Oh, I very much do," the priest said. "It's very good, if I may say so myself. The others don't appreciate good tea. They aren't very good at making it either. Now, come with me, I can tell you some secrets, how to make the perfect cup..."
And so they left the room. The priest went first, and behind him, Devid's eyes went cold. He knew he had just gained more fortune that the medallion could ever give.

-Reject the reward: The Hollow-Eyed Priest will be even more grateful (Bonus to Favors with the Church. Slight increase in Charisma)

The Marshal smiled "Thanks again for all of your help. With some of these freelancers, they usually fail in the mission, and when they DO succeed, they do something stupid like letting the guy go. Really, you've saved me quite a bit of hassle. Also, nice touch with the mask, I like the vigilante look. It almost looks like a real demon!"

Alaric nodded, his face covered by the blue "demon" mask "Of course sir. We made a pact to bring this man to justice. I would not have it end any other way."

"Well said! Perhaps we may work together in the future, eh? Soon, the criminals are gonna fear when they hear your name!"

'Indeed" Alaric clenched his fist "Soon, all will fear to do evil; FOR IF THEY DO, ALARIC, THE DEMON SWORDSMAN WILL BRING THEM TO JUSTICE!"

Damocles whispered "You're sooooooooo laaaaaame"

But the Temerian marshal laughed "YES! I love it! Let them think there's a demon running around after them, that'll put terror in their hearts. Here's your payment, be sure to stop by from time to time, alright?"

[Option 1]

Last edited:
Kurmotum Coppermace turned to his daughter and asked, "Honey, did you see the corpse?"
"Yes"
"And you saw it disappear, right?"
"I saw that too."
"And you heard the voice?"
"I'm afraid so"
A younger hungrier Coppermace might've felt the need to explore, might've chosen fight rather than flight, but this was the older Coppermace, the one who'd faced Geld's abominations in the Holy War. He knew ghosts existed and that they were no laughing matter, and he was old enough to realize not every warning was a dare.
"Let's go honey. I have a date with ale."
"Just don't drink as much as last time, I don't want to drag you home again."

Resolution 1

Last edited:
Sant Goren looked to the defenses he erected, and then down to his companion, who seemed a bit absent-minded. She'd probably seen enough battle. Perhaps it was time to go. He made a step, and she followed him.

Everything was set up.
But would it be enough?

They reached the makeshift gate. The head of the militia was right outside. Some younger men, likely fresh out of their family barns, struggled to get it open.

He's done what he could.
But have I done everything?

Sant Goren tensed as he approached the man. the militia head, who was frankly not much older than the boys at the gate, looked to him with a mix of gratitude and... was it... sadness?

He's already fought his battles.
My war is not yet done.

Resolution 1

Resolution 1

Story forthcoming.

1. Accept the reward: Wine is good, and the company of a fellow countryman is always sweet. Come, let us remember what we have lost. (Normal mission reward. +Melancholy

2. Accept the reward… and interrogate the man for information (Charisma Check: 16. He must surely know more about the black markets and criminal organizations here in Weissen… where you may be able to find more… hard to find goods and weapons. You’ll still be paid, but upon failure you might lose the respect of the merchant)

3. Rob the man. (Wait, really? Agility Challenge: 14. Obviously this will displease the merchant. Failing this will have consequences. Your heartless and ruthless score may increase.)

Minor Actions: The attempt at putting on makeup does not go well. All you’ve managed to do, it seems, is draw war-paint all over your face, frightening passing children and passerbys alike. You manage to flee the scene before the guards arrive to investigate a demon sighting (technically true, but hell if you allow yourself to be caught in this ridiculous manner).

You are an elf, however, and elves have always attempted to make the best of the situation. You walk into a council of cats holding a war meeting and make an impassioned speech about freedom from tyranny. Cats meow back in a decidedly mocking tone.

“Don’t worry about them,” one of them says as the others disperse. “I thought it was pretty nice.” Considering that cats can’t speak, you suppose that this is an accomplishment in itself.

"Wine, huh?" Valeska says "Well, it's a reward for a job well-done."

"Indeed, from the Empress's...fine, not the best wineries, but more decent than the trash they'd give you at a local tavern."
the merchant answered

"Right, so, let's get drinking." Valeska says, as she pours some wine into the smuggler's cup

As the time passed, the smuggler started noticing Valeska pouring in more for him...

"Hey, are you tryin' to drink me under, woman?" the smuggler said

"Oh, no, no...Just, it's been long since I've met a fellow countrymen."
Valeska said

"So your first reaction's to try to drink them under? Typical Demons..." the smuggler answered

"Well, tell you what, I'll be fair." Valeska said, as she gulped a glass of wine "I like you. You're a brave and honest merchant, spreading the light of the Empress."

"Oh, really."
He seems to be blushing, although you can't tell if that's due to anything or if it's just the alcohol.

"So..." Valeska says

And Resolution 2! May our seductive powers be with us.

“Pieces are set, opening moves are played. Gears of fates are beginning to turn again, ever so slowly.”

What did I say about melodrama again?

“Oh, come on. Live it up a little. It’s not like you have anything in particular to do.”

I’ll have you know that I’m actually quite busy.

I mean, there were some drunks that passed by here few… hours… days? Some time ago. It’s kind of hard to tell inside. They’ve moved on now.

“Is that why you are covered in blood?”

Like I said, they moved on now. I mean, you should know this already, or are you not even paying any attention to your sensory input?

“Sensory whatsit now?”

fudge it, I’m gonna go hang out with the guy below instead.

“Oi! We aren’t supposed to leave this area!”

Get bent.

“You’ll miss me!”

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Let us begin with the story, shall we?

Victory in the North, Screams in the South

The Paladins of Lymilark truly fought bravely, and desperately. It was a hopeless battle, of course, but they were veterans of the Great Holy War, and they were no strangers to hopeless situations. They stood their ground, with firm belief that they were stalling for the villagers to escape and that the Hollow-Eyed Priest would succeed in his efforts to convince the innocent to flee. They were smiling as they faced the enemy’s approach, and were smiling still as dozens of giant abominations carrying great axes tore through their ranks. In their last moments, as they battled hateful, horned demons who screamed curses at them, they knew they were finally free of their guilt.

The battle for the fate of the village, of course, would not end with just the Paladins. These paltry souls would not sate the demons’ appetite at all. For centuries, the hated humans oppressed them, ever on the retreat, losing more territory year by year to human settlers, and in Weissen’s weakness, they finally found an opportunity to take back what was theirs. The horned ogres swore to take this village and claim the fertile land surrounding it as their own, or die doing so. With the Paladins defeated, the horde quickly turned their gaze towards the village and moved to surround it. They believed that they would easily defeat a town militia manning rotting defenses.

What they faced instead, was a town guarded by reinforced, if hastily done, palisades, freshly dug ditches, with far more militiamen than they originally anticipated. Many of these militiamen, actually volunteer villagers carrying anything they could scrounge up for armor and weapon—many even carrying a discredited weapon design called the firestaff—and yet another Veteran of the Holy War and a noble of Termaria leading these guardsmen.

The demons persisted, each of them were a match for a dozen human militiamen and carried weapons that easily dwarfed a fully grown adult. Six of their largest and strongest held a great battering ram for striking down the gates into the city while a few others took up position around them to hold up large wooden shields to defend the carriers from missile fire. This was when the militiamen opened fire.

In a pitched battle, where another side may have dozens or even hundreds of mages providing support, any amount of firearm would be rendered useless. This was, however, no pitched battle. This was a minor skirmish at best, and the invading ogres had little in terms of magical support. Even as the demons carrying great shields tried to hold their ground, channeling what little energy they could muster into their shields to increase their effectiveness, those who carried great weapons found themselves suddenly found themselves under a withering barrage of musketballs. Half a dozen of the giant demons fell to the first volley.

Panicked and realizing that the course of battle was rapidly shifting against their favor, the demonic leader ordered a general charge against the walls to close into melee as soon as possible. While the human defenders remained largely confident at the strength of their reinforced walls, their confidence quickly turned way to fear as they realized that the demons were tall enough to reach the top of the palisades. Even though the added defensive measures allowed the defenders to fire another volley from the firestaff, it became quickly apparent that the battle would be decided, not by the defensive firepower of the defenders, but in the chaotic melee atop the walls.

The gate was breached in short order. The larger of the demons either simply leapt over the walls or otherwise climbed over them, claiming the lives of many of the untrained volunteer-soldiers with swings of their polearms. The Termarian Noble and the Veteran Knight fought bravely, personally slaying more than a few of the demons each even as the larger and more powerful demons tore through the ranks of the human militia like a scythe through wheat.

Just as the many of the human defenders began to despair, no longer certain of their victory, it was over. The human defenders watched in disbelief as the demons fled, limping, and wounded, desperately carrying their wounded and the dead away from the field of battle. The skirmish ended with a thunderous cheer from the humans.

The story of what happened at the village doesn’t end there, of course. Before the battle commenced in proper, the fact remained that a noble knight living in the village was assassinated, most likely by Al-Kalmarian agents, with his family nowhere to be found. This would have severe repercussions for not just this town, but all of Weissen.

The nobles at Ci-Alen would use the victory of humanity over the demons in this village as a proof that their current military policy was sufficient to defend against the threat of demons. After all, if poorly trained soldiers using archaic weapons could defend against one of the most vicious and powerful race of demons? What hope did these demons have against actual knights and state troops? Instead, they would point towards the assassination of the minor noble as proof that Al-Kalmar and the Southern states are the greater threat against the Kingdom. Royal investigators, emboldened by this political victory, would soon fall upon the city of Potrac, by far the most Al-Kalmar-friendly city in the kingdom, with renewed vigor.

A rumor comes from the South, from the Empire of Al-Kalmar, that the Empress let out a billowing scream of frustration and incoherent rage around this time that reverberated throughout the entire capital. Whether this is connected to the assassination or the victory of the human defender over the demons remains uncertain.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

Disturbing News from the Wastes

Armored demons are one of the most feared creatures in the wastes. One of the most mysterious and foreboding of the demonic creatures, Armored Demons used to live in great fortresses—copies of human fortification efforts—along the Weissen borders, launching raids into the country with uncommon military discipline and tactics—most likely copied over from the knightly fighting style of Terma and Weissen armies. Unlike the other demonic hordes, who took wealth, food, and livestock from the humans, these armored creatures only took steel and other forms of useful materials from humans—although whether or not these armored demons needed it to maintain and create new armor or, more disturbingly, for reproduction, is unknown.

Whatever the truth is regarding these armored creatures, raids into Weissen countryside has actually ceased despite the overall increase in demonic raids. Indeed, scouts sent to these dark creatures’ fortresses and warrens indicate that they have either abandoned these structures entirely, or have left a simple token garrison as guards.

While Weissener and Termarian military intelligence remained uncertain as to where these armored monstrosities disappeared to, recent reports of Queen Evelyn’s army’s exploits indicate that this entire race of demons have joined her cause. Already horror tales of hundreds of thousands of the Armored demons, marching in unison and carrying the Queen’s banners, flood the borderlands of the Unvid Wastes.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Unrest in Potrac

Memoir of Lady Emilia

My father has always said that the surest way of eliminating our foes were to befriend them, and this is a lesson that I’ve taken to my heart in my youth. The growing class of merchants and industrialist in my demesne were always resentful of noble privileges. They hated the fact that, despite their growing power, wealth, and influence, that they would always remain second class citizens by the sheer lottery of birth.

So, I spoke to them in the language they understood—money and business. I used my privileges to, instead of growing my prestige, my personal wealth and fortunes while allowing other businessmen friendly with me to flourish. This is how I made Potrac into a great city that it is today—a center of trade in modern day Weissen and a gateway to the South now that Lymilark and the easy land route is gone.

My critics have said that my actions and my frivolous use of my privileges to aid in my personal business have lessened the gravitas of my decrees and, as a collateral damage, other nobles’ rights as well. This may, admittedly, be true. However, I must assert that problems only began to appear when the royal investigators began proclaiming their royal authority to ‘purge the city’ of Al-Kalmarian influences.

Like it or not, Al-Kalmar is an industrial and economic giant of this modern era, and their importance to this city will only likely increase. As long as I live, I will not allow those Terma-friendly stooges at Ci-Alen to dictate what is good for my city and what is not. This is why I have organized a four party conference in this city between myself, royalists at Ci-Alen, and both of the Empires. I’ve heard that Prince Ludenard is a reasonable man, seeking better diplomatic relations with Al-Kalmar. If I can just have his delegates on my side, I will likely be able halt the royal investigators turning the screws even further on my city.

Let us just hope that the mobs outside don’t cause too much damage.

...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

The World Continues To Spin In Its Place. Without Fate, Its Only Driving Force Are Lies.

Wow.

You are actually somehow even more melodramatic than the other girl.

What The He-?

Can I crash here? I mean, I don't really feel like going all the way back to the top again.

Oh Come On, You Can't Just Barge In Here, I Have My Own Privacy And-

Can I take the couch?

I Don't Have A Couch.

Global Qualities

Her Imperial Cynicism: 680
Panic at the Conclave: 8
Weissen Military Strength: 240
Weissener Threat Awareness: 8
Evelyn Military Strength: 200
Revolutionary Foothold: 10
Nameless God: There is a silence.
Lymilark: Light is radiant.

Last edited:
Spoiler Lunet :

Your mad laughter is cut a bit short as your spell cores blaze in glorious light—you have put too much power into your airblast. Aiforn quickly shields you as your windblast goes out of control. It does its intended job, of course. It sends all of the poisonous gas back into the warren. It also takes off the top half of the hill, levelling the entire warren and burying whatever survivors or treasures hidden within the dungeon under rubble. Well, you wonder. At least you can collect those bounties now.

Reward: 25 Gold. +2 WIL. Aiforn gains +1 STR. +Brave. +Bringer of Death: 1. +Adulation of Common Folks

Spoiler Fatima :

You flee with Junkers out of the village. Nobody even gives you a second glance, you blend in perfectly among the fleeing refugees. Your actions, of course, have repercussions. Royal investigators are now putting even more pressure upon the Al-Kalmarians and Southerners within the Kingdom, and tensions are rising. Perhaps that is what you wanted all along. Nevertheless, you may have also made powerful enemies today.

Reward(?): Empress’s Attention (1) You have earned her attention. +Melancholy, +Subtle

Spoiler Troo Goodman :

It tastes kind of like crab, and would’ve gone well with butter. ‘We’ve been waiting for so long,” Goodman says as he smacks his lips. ‘We were always so envious of the mortal realms. Our children were always so hungry,’ he mutters aloud as he slurps the contents of one of the legs. ‘Who could resist in doing what we did, when we were offered a future?’ Goodman packs the rest of his lunch away as he is paid.

Reward: 25 Gold. +2 STR. Loomy Gains +1 STR. +Adulation of the Common Folks. +Honor of Nobles.

Spoiler Devid :

“Thank you,” the Hollow-Eyed Priest says, a faint smile finally forming on his lips. “I think… I think I’ll leave south now. The refugees from this village will need me to guide them. Maybe I could find something for these people at Potrac, a city of opportunities, if not moral virtue.”

He whistles out a small song. “Please, if you ever desire to learn how to work Her Powers, find me at Potrac.”

Reward: +Charitable, Gleam, +2 Favor of the Church, Gratitude of the Hollow Eyed Priest (2). Earthstaff +1.

Spoiler Alaric :

“There we go, Prince Ludenard sends his gratitude,” the marshal says as he dolls out the payment. “Not sure why he personally authorized this, he usually stays out of ‘interfering’ or sending us out into other countries,” he remarks.

Reward: 25 Gold. +Honorable. Damocles +1 WIL.

Spoiler Sant Goren :

You yell out a battle cry as the first ogre leaps onto the battlements. You parry her strike easily—the demon swung her axe too wide in her panic, and you punish her with a pommel strike followed by a thrust into her throat. As you toss her limp body off the battlement, you turn around to see a dozen more of them. Few set upon the musket carrying villagers—those who have not heard the signal for them to retreat in the chaos and deafening reports of their firearms. The others set upon the militiamen, tossing them around like chaff and cutting through their swords, spears, and armor with their polearm easily. You shout out curses and bellows in equal measure as you jump into the fray, tossing magic and sword-slashes around in equal measure.

In the end, you stand victorious. Bodies of demons lie around you, vanquished, and their wounded and survivors flee back into the wastes. The militiamen around you cheer and proclaim you a hero, and the bag of gold that the Mayor himself hands you is very nice indeed. One of the younger militiaman offers you his continued service—if you would only have him.

Reward: 75 Gold. +3 STR. Bringer of Death: +8. +Bold. Companion: Rural Militiaman. Veteran’s Blade Gains +1 STR.

Spoiler Arthur :

Moved by your speech, the villagers volunteer themselves to the militia, many of them arming themselves with firestaffs sold by an enterprising Al-Kalmarian merchant. They take up positions along the walls. Some of them are instructed to fire the musket while those behind him—volunteered men and women either too young or too old to fight effectively, is busy reloading spent firestaffs that they quickly hand back to those fighting.

A clever way of fighting indeed, but the melee happens much quicker than anticipated as the ogres display surprising agility. You notice this before the others, and give the call for the villagers to retreat. Many of them follow your command, fleeing from the battlements just as the ogres reached them, but others, in either their zeal or just simply unable to hear your commands, are not so fortunate. You take out the sword of your house and charge the demons tearing through the very villagers you helped to recruit, desperate to save at least one more life.

At the end of the fighting, you are bloodied and exhausted, but alive and victorious. The villagers, despite having lost so many of their numbers, hail you as a hero, and the Mayor himself extends his gratitude. The Hollow-Eyed Priest is nowhere to be found—presumably having left with the refugees out of the village.

Reward: 25 Gold. +2 CHA. Athena +1 AGI. Noble Sword +1 STR. Bringer of Death: +50. +Brave. +Adulation of the Common Folks.

Spoiler Cathyra :

There are some mysteries best left uncovered. You leave the tomb post haste. An impertinent beetle waves its antennae at you. “That tomb is bloody cursed,” the militiamen says as you report back on your job. “Every now and then, it spits out a corpse, and gives everyone who touches it really bad nightmares. I can assure you that the knight of the region will be grateful that you have removed such an eyesore from our village.”

Reward: +25 Gold. Honor of Weissen Nobles.+1 CHA, Nolan. +1 STR

Spoiler Coppermace :

There are some mysteries best left uncovered. You leave the tomb post haste. An impertinent beetle waves its antennae at you. “That tomb is bloody cursed,” the militiamen says as you report back on your job. “Every now and then, it spits out a corpse, and gives everyone who touches it really bad nightmares. I can assure you that the knight of the region will be grateful that you have removed such an eyesore from our village.”

Reward: +25 Gold. Honor of Weissen Nobles. +1 AGI, Teresa. +1 STR.

Spoiler An-Nur :

Why? Why? Why? Try as you might, there is nothing you can learn as to how Geld managed to control these beasts. All you can see, when you close your eyes at night that day, is a desolate landscape of frozen time. And you were so hungry.

But those aren’t your memories, of course.

Reward: +25 Gold. +4 WIL. +Gloom. +1 Will Book of Many Truths.

Spoiler *altzer :

You feel somewhat bad attempting to convince her that it would be best for her to separate with her son, at least for now, but you comfort yourself with the knowledge that doing so will ultimately help you… no, your family. You would do anything for family, after all—anything to win your family’s lands back for yourselves.

She eventually agrees, and you find yourself with a new noble squire, and some valuable connections.

Reward: 70 Gold. +Honor of Weissen Nobles. +Clever, + Charitable. +Noble Squire (+1 STR, +1 CHA). Dieter +1 WIL.

Spoiler Valeska :

After a few drinks of wine, the smuggler’s tongue is sufficiently loosened. “We have a store in Potrac,” he hiccoughs. “Sells much better stuff than the ones we stole to these peasants. Can’t have Weissener military have access to all of the Imperial goods no?” He chuckles.

“Still, it’s a bit strange. It’s almost as if the Empress is purposefully letting smugglers flood Weissen...while at the same time not desiring instability in the current government here. I mean, I guess one of her colleague back in her academy days is said to be buried around here.”

+50 gold. +Imperial Favor. +Firestaff (Twohanded +2 AGI). +1 AGI: Rapier. +3 CHA. +Clever.

Spoiler Reiza :
You left before the ogres approached, content with what you have learned and ready to move onto another project. You still cannot find where exactly Alis’s tomb is, of course. Information is extremely scarce, although the ‘cursed tomb’ that spits out bodies every once in a while, appears to fit both the description and the timeframe. You also never do hear a response from Francine.

Last edited:
Reserved for Missions

@Seon if I may suggest something, instead of difficulty ratings (to me they seem like arbitrary numbers that I am unsure of what they mean), could you instead say what rating in that skill would be needed for a 50% chance of success? I think that'd guide my actions much more than just a number I compare based on tasks with no accounting for the skill I may or may not have in that area

@Nuka-sama
The rating that you see right now is the stat point you need for a 75% success rate.

I already told this to some other people. so I suppose I should just say that publicly.

Stats
Spoiler Lunet, Would be Sorceress :

Name: Lunet
Race/Ethnicity: Lymilark
Primary Stats:
  1. STR&BLA: 7 (+5)
  2. AGI&SHA: 6 (+0)
  3. WIL&KNO: 19 (+0)
  4. CHA&TON: 7 (+0)
Equipment&Perks:
  • Helm/Hat:
  • Clothing/Armor:
  • Shoes/Greaves:
  • Gauntlet/Gloves:
  • Weapon/Tools:
  • Offhand Weapon/Tools:
  • Accessory 1: A Shattered Torc (Keep this here to maintain Aiforn as a companion)
  • Accessory 2:
  • Companion 1: Aiforn ("Very strong. And also strong". +5 STR)
  • Companion 2:
  • Companion 3:
  • Companion 4:
  • Perk Slot 1: Worst. Mage. EVER (While you are more powerful and more likely to succeed with magic, your magic checks will likely backfire in unexpected and spectacular ways even on a success. Especially on success. This perk cannot be removed.)
  • Perk Slot 2:

Qualities:
  • Charity and Hope: 2
  • Heartless and Cruel: 1
  • Ruthless and Cynical: 2
  • Melancholy and Tears: 0
  • Brave and Daring:
  • Honorable and Just: 0
  • Clever and Subtle: 1
  • Gleam and Zeal: 0
  • Gloom and Silence: 0

Bringer of Death: 26. It was an accident, you swear. Except that last one.

Connections

Adulation of Commoners: 1

Gold: 50

Spoiler Fatima :

Name: Fatima al-Nusar

Race/Ethnicity: Kalmarian

Primary Stats:

STR&BLA: 9 (+1)
AGI&SHA: 11 (+1)
WIL&KNO: 9 (+2)
CHA&TON: 11 (+0)

Equipment&Perks:
  • Helm/Hat:
  • Clothing/Armor:
  • Shoes/Greaves:
  • Gauntlet/Gloves:
  • Weapon/Tools:
  • Offhand Weapon/Tools: Archaic custom firestaff ("SURPRISE!" +1 AGI, +1 STR)
  • Accessory 1:
  • Accessory 2:
  • Companion 1: Gerda von Junkers ("Whoops." +2 WIL)
  • Companion 2:
  • Companion 3:
  • Companion 4:
  • Perk Slot 1: Revolutionary Zealot (Direct action against targets of the revolution is easier)
  • Perk Slot 2:

Qualities:
  • Charity and Hope: 1
  • Heartless and Cruel: 1
  • Ruthless and Cynical: 1
  • Melancholy and Tears: 3
  • Brave and Daring: 2
Bringer of Death: 4. The engines of Revolution are always hungry for more blood.

Connections
Empress’s Attention (1)

Gold: 25

Spoiler Arthur :

Arthur Dragonrider
Race/Ethnicity: Termarian

Primary Stats:
STR&BLA: 6 (+3)
AGI&SHA: 8 (+2)
WIL&KNO: 8 (+0)
CHA&TON: 15 (+1)

Equipment&Perks:
  • Helm/Hat:
  • Clothing/Armor:
  • Shoes/Greaves:
  • Gauntlet/Gloves:
  • Weapon/Tools: Noble Sword ("Not enchanted, but well balanced and bears your house's seal." +2 STR, +1 CHA)
  • Offhand Weapon/Tools:
  • Accessory 1:
  • Accessory 2:
  • Companion 1: Athena, the Swordswoman ("For the love of Lymilark, please stay out of trouble" +1 STR, +2 AGI)
  • Companion 2:
  • Companion 3:
  • Companion 4:
  • Perk Slot 1: Noble Blood (Charisma checks against nobles are easier)
  • Perk Slot 2:

Qualities:
  • Charity and Hope: 4
  • Heartless and Cruel: 0
  • Ruthless and Cynical: 0
  • Melancholy and Tears: 1
  • Brave and Daring: 1
  • Honorable and Just: 2
  • Clever and Subtle: 0
Bringer of Death: 50. Your hands, and your conscience, is clean.

Connections

Adulation of Commoners: 1

Gole: 75

Spoiler Coppermace :

Kurmotum Coppermace
Race/Ethnicity: Dwarf
Primary Stats:

STR&BLA: 14 (+2)
AGI&SHA: 5 (+3)
WIL&KNO: 8 (+0)
CHA&TON: 9 (+0)

Equipment&Perks:
  • Helm/Hat:
  • Clothing/Armor:
  • Shoes/Greaves:
  • Gauntlet/Gloves:
  • Weapon/Tools: Dwarven Battleaxe ("Dwarves tend to swing their axes around a man's groin height, unfortunately." +2 STR)
  • Offhand Weapon/Tools:
  • Accessory 1:
  • Accessory 2:
  • Companion 1: Teresa ("..." +3 AGI)
  • Companion 2:
  • Companion 3:
  • Companion 4:
  • Perk Slot 1: Leader of Dwarves (Rank 1. Interactions with dwarven characters are easier. Special recruitment opportunities for dwarves are available every so often)
  • Perk Slot 2:

Qualities:
  • Brave and Daring: 0
  • Gleam and Zeal: 1

Bringer of Death: 12. Just business.

Connections: Honor of Weissen Nobles

Spoiler Sant Goren :

Sant Goren
Race/Ethnicity: Lymilarkian Refugee/Human
Primary Stats:
STR&BLA: 18 (+4)
AGI&SHA: 11 (+0)
WIL&KNO: 7 (+0)
CHA&TON: 8 (+2)

Equipment&Perks:
  • Helm/Hat:
  • Clothing/Armor:
  • Shoes/Greaves:
  • Gauntlet/Gloves:
  • Weapon/Tools: Veteran's Blade ("A two handed sword, made and used for war." +3 STR)
  • Offhand Weapon/Tools:
  • Accessory 1:
  • Accessory 2:
  • Companion 1: Elise ("We are all familiar with terror, our constant companion..." +2 CHA)
  • Companion 2: Rural Militiaman (“At your command!” +1 STR)
  • Companion 3:
  • Companion 4:
  • Perk Slot 1: The Veteran of the Great Holy War (combat check against monsters, spirits, and creatures are more likely to succeed)
  • Perk Slot 2:

Qualities:
  • Honorable and Just: 1
  • Gleam and Zeal: 2
  • Gloom and Silence: 2
Bringer of Death: 8. You have defended the innocent at a battle to save a village.

Connections: Adulation of the Commoners
Gold: 75 Gold

Spoiler an-Nur :

Name: an-Nur
Primary Stats:

STR&BLA: 5 (+0)
AGI&SHA: 7 (+0)
WIL&KNO: 18(+6)
CHA&TON: 9 (+0)

Equipment&Perks:
  • Helm/Hat:
  • Clothing/Armor:
  • Shoes/Greaves:
  • Gauntlet/Gloves:
  • Weapon/Tools: Black Tome of Mysteries ("Secrets contained within burns with truth." +3 WIL)
  • Offhand Weapon/Tools:
  • Accessory 1: Focusing Crystal (+1 WIL)
  • Accessory 2:
  • Companion 1: Juliya Abd al-Ulum: "Mystery is a fire. Truth burns." (+2 WIL)
  • Companion 2:
  • Companion 3:
  • Companion 4:
  • Perk Slot 1: Lore of Magic: Healing Lv1 (Extensive training in healing spells--greatly improved chance of success when missions involve healing)
  • Perk Slot 2:

Qualities:
  • Melancholy and Tears: 2
  • Gleam and Zeal: 2
  • Gloom and Silence: 2
Bringer of Death: 0. Your hands, and your conscience, is clean.

Gold: 37.5

Connections: Adulation of the Commoners (1)

Honor of Weissen Nobles (1)

Spoiler Cathyra :

Name: Cathyra
Race/Ethnicity: Beastman
Primary Stats:

STR&BLA: 12 (+0)
AGI&SHA: 7 (+0)
WIL&KNO: 9 (+0)
CHA&TON: 6 (+3)

Equipment&Perks:
  • Helm/Hat:
  • Clothing/Armor:
  • Shoes/Greaves:
  • Gauntlet/Gloves:
  • Weapon/Tools:
  • Offhand Weapon/Tools:
  • Accessory 1: Jade Collar ("So shiny!" +2 CHA)
  • Accessory 2:
  • Companion 1: Nolan Swiftdane ("Let me at'em!" +1 STR. +1 Agi, +1 CHA. This cannot be removed from slot)
  • Companion 2:
  • Companion 3:
  • Companion 4:
  • Perk Slot 1: A Noble Charge (Increase chance of success in dealing with nobles. May have to deal with capriciousness from time to time)
  • Perk Slot 2:

Qualities:
  • Charity and Hope: 0
  • Melancholy and Tears: 1
  • Clever and Subtle: 3

Connections:

Honor of Weissen nobles: 1

Spoiler [PURGED :
]
Name: Valeska Til
Primary Stats:

STR&BLA: 5 (+3)
AGI&SHA: 12 (+4)
WIL&KNO: 5 (+0)
CHA&TON: 16 (+2)

Equipment&Perks:
  • Helm/Hat:
  • Clothing/Armor:
  • Shoes/Greaves:
  • Gauntlet/Gloves:
  • Weapon/Tools: Firestaff (+2 AGI)
  • Offhand Weapon/Tools: Rapier ("Let me tell you about where I got this from..." +1 STR +2 AGI)
  • Accessory 1: Cloth Scarf (+2 CHA)
  • Accessory 2:
  • Companion 1: Andos Kugrer ("Be of good cheer, this too, shall end." +2 STR)
  • Companion 2:
  • Companion 3:
  • Companion 4:
  • Perk Slot 1: Revolutionary Firebrand (Bonus for charisma checks in inciting anti-aristocratic or anti-religious sentiments, or dealing with other revolutionaries)
  • Perk Slot 2:

Qualities:
  • Charity and Hope: 2
Bringer of Death: 3. Revolution demands more from us every day.

Connections: Imperial Favor (1)

Gold: 50 Gold.

Spoiler Bal*zer :

Name: Bernd Baltzer
Race: Weissen
Primary Stats:

STR&BLA: 5 (+2)
AGI&SHA: 6 (+0)
WIL&KNO: 5 (+2)
CHA&TON: 20 (+5)

Equipment&Perks:
  • Helm/Hat:
  • Clothing/Armor:
  • Shoes/Greaves:
  • Gauntlet/Gloves:
  • Weapon/Tools: Y*to ("Some guy east of here called, they want their sword back" +1 STR, +1 CHA)
  • Offhand Weapon/Tools:
  • Accessory 1: Cloth Scarf (+2 CHA)
  • Accessory 2:
  • Companion 1: Dieter Strunz ("Now if you look at decree number 318-b and compare it to ducal law of Valdorf..." +2 WIL, +1 CHA)
  • Companion 2: A Noble Squire (+1 STR, +1 CHA)
  • Companion 3:
  • Companion 4:
  • Perk Slot 1: Dishonorable Bastard (Bonus to CHA check when you are lying through your teeth)
  • Perk Slot 2:

Qualities:
  • Clever and Subtle: 4

Connections: Honor of Weissen Nobles (2)

Gold: 70 gold

Spoiler Alaric :

Name: Alaric
Race: Demon
Primary Stats:

STR&BLA: 15 (+2)
WIL&KNO: 9 (+3)
CHA&TON: 7 (+0)

Equipment&Perks:
  • Helm/Hat:
  • Clothing/Armor:
  • Shoes/Greaves:
  • Gauntlet/Gloves:
  • Weapon/Tools: Damocles ("An ego sword, a sword with a spirit bound to it, often only finds niche users--mostly due to how annoying they are." +1 STR, +1 WIL)
  • Offhand Weapon/Tools:
  • Accessory 1:
  • Accessory 2:
  • Companion 1: Damocles ("FLAME ON!" +1 STR, +2 WIL)
  • Companion 2:
  • Companion 3:
  • Companion 4:
  • Perk Slot 1: Lore of Magic: Body (A fraction of your WIL is added to your STR and AGI when making combat pursuit checks)
  • Perk Slot 2:
Qualities:
  • Honorable and Just: 3
  • Gleam and Zeal: 1
Bringer of Death: 1. What madness brought you to imagine that humans and demons could coexist?

Connections: Imperial Condescension (1)

Spoiler Reiza :

Name: Raiza
Race: Dwarf
Primary Stats:

STR&BLA: 6 (+0)
AGI&SHA: 12 (+3)
WIL&KNO: 18 (+1)
CHA&TON: 6 (+0)

Equipment&Perks:
  • Helm/Hat:
  • Clothing/Armor:
  • Shoes/Greaves:
  • Gauntlet/Gloves: Sigil-Inscribed Gloves ("Makes casting and needlework easier" +1 AGI, +1 WIL)
  • Weapon/Tools:
  • Offhand Weapon/Tools:
  • Accessory 1:
  • Accessory 2:
  • Companion 1: Satin ("GO FOR THE EYES!" +2 AGI)
  • Companion 2:
  • Companion 3:
  • Companion 4:
  • Perk Slot 1: Lore of Magic: Enchantment (Increased chance of success on defensive and enchantment missions. May imbue a +1 stat temporarily to an item by expanding a minor action)
  • Perk Slot 2:
Qualities:
  • Gloom and Silence: 1
Bringer of Death: 0.

Spoiler Troo Goodman :

Name: Troo Goodman
Race: Human (at least I think) (Termarian)
Primary Stats:

STR&BLA: 14 (+2)
AGI&SHA: 8 (+1)
WIL&KNO: 5 (+0)
CHA&TON: 9 (+1)

Equipment&Perks:
  • Helm/Hat:
  • Clothing/Armor:
  • Shoes/Greaves:
  • Gauntlet/Gloves:
  • Weapon/Tools:
  • Offhand Weapon/Tools: Ego Buckler ("Anyone who claims that a buckler is not a weapon hasn't been punched in the face with one" (+1 STR. +1 AGI)
  • Accessory 1:
  • Accessory 2:
  • Companion 1: Ego Buckler ("Left! No, MY LEFT!" +1 STR, +1 CHA)
  • Companion 2:
  • Companion 3:
  • Companion 4:
  • Perk Slot 1:
  • Perk Slot 2:

Qualities:
  • Charity and Hope: 3
  • Melancholy and Tears: 0
  • Brave and Daring: 3
Bringer of Death: 0 Your hand and your conscience is clean. Probably. Just don't touch me.

Connections: Adulation of the Common Folk (2)

Honor of Nobles (1)

Gold 25

Spoiler Devid :

Name: Devid
Race: Weissener
Primary Stats:

STR&BLA: 5 (+0)
WIL&KNO: 16 (+6)
CHA&TON: 10 (+1)

Equipment&Perks:
  • Helm/Hat:
  • Clothing/Armor: Mage Robes (+2 WIL)
  • Shoes/Greaves:
  • Gauntlet/Gloves:
  • Weapon/Tools: Earth Staff (It draws power from buried earth. +3 WILL)
  • Offhand Weapon/Tools:
  • Accessory 1:
  • Accessory 2:
  • Companion 1: Pglyhglvar ("We shall be watching." +1 CHA, +1 WILL)
  • Companion 2:
  • Companion 3:
  • Companion 4:
  • Perk Slot 1: Lore of Magic: Spiritualist (You know how to bend the spirits to your will or appeal to them for assistance. Minor bonuses when dealing with other spiritualists or summoned spirits)
  • Perk Slot 2:

Qualities:
  • Gleam and Zeal: 5
Bringer of Death: 0. Your hand, and your conscience, is clean.

Connections: Favors of the Church: 2

Gratitude of the Hollow Eyed Priest: 2
Gold: 0

Deepest apologies but missions will have to wait until tomorrow. However, all is not lost.

Spoiler A priority Mission :
Immerse Yourself into Politics

Using either your influence, nobility, or reputation, you may be able to enter into political scenes and delegation between the four parties and potentially come to influence the outcome. Express your interest in it and I’ll send you the situation by PM, dependent on your reputation and nobility.

To experiment with the idea of a rolling update and such, I'm allowing this particular mission. To take this mission, simply state that you wish to partake in this political conclave and a social gathering happening at Potrac and your credential. While it is unlikely you will be able to enter the actual discussion chambers, you may be able to encounter important delegates and influence their opinions! You will face different situations and conditions based on your background information as well as the reputation you are staking.

To be eligible for this mission you must have one of the following.
Connections:
  • an Imperial Favor
  • an Imperial Condescension
  • Honor of Weissen Nobles
  • Be a noble of some repute, or otherwise have some connections with a noble
  • Gratitude of a Hollow Eyed Priest

Expressing your interest will consume your major action. Be warned that people outside or otherwise ineligible for the party may decide to spoil the mood with their rabble rousing ways!

Top Bottom