1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Launcher Issues: Not finding maps/etc

Discussion in 'Rise from Erebus Modmod' started by Nirek, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Nirek

Nirek Chieftain

From what I can tell, for people with issues with the maps not being there/the launcher, this is what I've discovered:

Once installed, the Rife folder, at least parts of it, starts Read-Only, right after a fresh install, I loaded the launcher, from it's folder, and got this:

Enabled Mapscripts was empty, Enabled modules listed BannerChainofCommand, and Mekara.
    I clicked the change path button, and it had the right path, hit change, and got a popup:
    Rightpath\NOTSET\PrivateMaps could not be found.
    At this point I looked at the Rife folder and in it's properties found the read only attribute to be grey checked, showing that at least some of the subfolders were marked read only, unchecked it, closed the launcher (still didn't work right until I closed it/reopened) restarted the launcher, and it immediately picked up the mapscripts and now shows ErebusContinent and World of Erebus in the enabled pane.

The Launcher I guess can't write to its ini file/etc to set where it thinks the maps is, this may be why. (I didn't actually try loading rife with it at first, figuring something wasn't right) But afterwards I am seeing both of the maps in custom game. Anyone else that's having the map issue, try looking at that? (this is on windows xp)

2. natorion

natorion Chieftain

Works under Windows 7 too.

3. arcticnightwolf

arcticnightwolf Emperor

well, it's caused by that read-only flag and lack of permission to write, because the launcher stores the path in RifELauncher.exe.config, and if launcher can't write into that file, it can't get right path to mod ...
    these folders should have all their content set to non-read-only and active user should have write permission to them: "PrivateMaps", "UnsupportedMaps", "Assets/Modules", "Assets/Inactive Modules", or otherwise launcher won't be able to (de)activate maps and/or modules

(( and btw, "NOTSET" is default value stored in that config file, so if someone keeps getting error with that string, it's most likely caused by lack of permission to write into that file ))

4. Iaian

Iaian Chieftain

I had this issue as well, but running the Launcher from the RifE folder directly causes no problems. Making a shortcut directly to the .exe causes no problems either.

If you run it from anywhere else, like from the installer after the install process is completed, then this issue pops up.