Leader for learning warmongering?

Leodavinci

Great Merchant
I am a peace keeper and wonder addict and I can win almost all games in Noble level in a peaceful fassion, but I want to have some domination/conquest victory. Last time I tried I again ended up with Space. Isabella was not good enopugh choise for that:)
Which leader would you suggest for learning warmongering? Which map type would you suggest? Maybe general strategy I need to take for that?

For learning? Asoka of India. Organized for reduced upkeep, Spiritual for ease of play. Regular war units. Masoleum (Jail) lends itself to stomping without really getting in the way. Choose a flat, land based map.

For learning about promotions and great generals? Boudica the Celt.

For winning? One of the Romans - probably August.

Use a flatish, land dominated map ( Pangaea, Great Plains, Oasis. Not highlands - it's trying to war on an obstacle course. ).

General strategy - build units. Use units.
Goals: one of your first four cities should be an enemy capital. Try to maintain a military city : non military city ratio of about 1:1, no worse than 1:2.

If you want to ensure that you have a lot of opportunity to practice combat, turn on the Always War option.

Hm, I'm the opposite of a warmonger, so instead of saying you should use the Mongol guy with the creative and aggressive traits, I'll start a game as Asoka myself.

Start a game with 2,3 more opponents as usual (say standard-size map with 9,10 enemies)
This gives you a more crowded map, less land for peacefull expansion.
Result: taking most of "your" cities instead of building them.

I dont think warmongering is bound to a leader. Some might be better suited for it, but it is more a question of how the player set his priorities. Focus on building units and making war. Make you a checklist perhaps. Follow the objectives, leaving everything, that does not help those objectives out. Something like:

-Explore, find you close neighbours.
-Choose one (maybe the nearest, or perhaps the one having the best land, or...) and kill him as soon as you can. Best with a early rush.
-Recover your economy, modernize your army.
- Go for the next victim

Note theat there is nothing in the checklist about building Wonders or getting religions. If you consider doing this, ask you self: How exactly does this one help me achieving the next objective (e.g. killing the next Civ faster) ? If you have no answer, just skip it.

Take a look at Sisiutil's guide for a early rush - in case you dont know it yet. Rush someone in your next game. On Noble it is easily possible to rush more than one in the same game - if you have enought neighbours, that is. http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=244075

As for maps:
Dont choose to big size. On huge the starting plots might be to far apart to rush. If playing big map, try slower speed (epic perhaps). But best play Standard size, and maybe stick 8 or 9 (instead of the default 7) civs in it. A Pangaea will guarantee you easy access to your victims. If you want to practice naval invasion as well, try Hemispheres with 2 continents.

Leader is not that important. Still...

Perhaps You could try Ragnar and the Vikings. Aggressive will give you units with Combat 1, thus unlocking many other promotions, while Financial will help you with paying your soldiers salaries, upkeep and research. The UU is not bad as well. Replaces maceman - so it will not be used in the early rush. But it will give you additional motivation to go to war again later :D

Top Bottom