Leaderheads

Rob (R8XFT)

Ancient Briton
Retired Moderator
I was under the impression that the leaderheads were going to be animated. Just checking that it's not some preference I have selected somewhere or that my system can't cope with such animation.

If they are static leaderheads, then it bodes well in terms of modding. I've not played the game that much (I'm actually not that great at actually playing the game!) but wondered if the images changed depending on the mood of the leader?

While it's nice for modding, it isn't "as cool" since it's possible to have Firaxis animated leaders. Hopefully some of our talented modders will be able to give it a shot. Maybe in special cases, they can go the full route and have an animated leader speaking their own language.

While it's nice for modding, it isn't "as cool" since it's possible to have Firaxis animated leaders. Hopefully some of our talented modders will be able to give it a shot. Maybe in special cases, they can go the full route and have an animated leader speaking their own language.

The previous two versions of Civ had the community divided on whether they preferred static leaders or animated ones and I can imagine that Civ V will have the same sort of division. Personally, I'd prefer animated leaderheads, but if that means that they'd be choppy and/or very similar to each other (eg half a dozen reskins of Caesar) then I'd rather have a well done static image.

Once I've "got into" Civ V (which I haven't really done yet...it's not grabbed me so far), I'd love to do a version of my Civ III Anno Domini for it. I reckon I could do some decent static images, but the animated ones...in the format required...might be a bit far-reaching.

I feel reskins work when you can add a beard to a clean shaven guy. Otherwise, it's hard to hide that it's the same person in different clothes.

The previous two versions of Civ had the community divided on whether they preferred static leaders or animated ones and I can imagine that Civ V will have the same sort of division. Personally, I'd prefer animated leaderheads, but if that means that they'd be choppy and/or very similar to each other (eg half a dozen reskins of Caesar) then I'd rather have a well done static image.

Once I've "got into" Civ V (which I haven't really done yet...it's not grabbed me so far), I'd love to do a version of my Civ III Anno Domini for it. I reckon I could do some decent static images, but the animated ones...in the format required...might be a bit far-reaching.

It may as well be an image, they still have Montezuma standing in front of a burning caldron with no shirt on in 2023.

I completely understand that product costs would be ridiculously unfeasible, but if you're going a step further each game where now they're talking to us, the coolness is ruined for me.

Get someone with a good microphone and make a good picture and you could have the talking + a picture and it'd be great with me. That is unless Firaxis has provided some truly incredible tools this time and we have incredibly talented leaderhead modellers coming to CiV.

Oh no question, for scenarios, I'd prefer a picture of the person appropriate for the scenario over an animated leader of someone else. But for mods that attempt to add a Civ to the game, the closer to the original style they can get, the better. However, I'd argue that a still picture is closer to the standard than an animated leader of someone else. In both cases, I feel having a picture would definitely be welcome.

Top Bottom