"Leapfrogging galleys across ocean"

battleships are not that slow, look at WWII, how did they get battleships from Pearl Harbor to Indonesia in a year (once repairs were made). those arent even the fastest types.

its true that submerged subs are hard to find, but the Allies used aircraft to find and sink German U-Boats in WWII. yes they were surfaced, but only modern subs are designed for complete underwater operation. thats why if you look at almost any WWI or WWII sub, it will have 1 or more flak gun on top.

battleships are not that slow, look at WWII, how did they get battleships from Pearl Harbor to Indonesia in a year (once repairs were made). those arent even the fastest types.

its true that submerged subs are hard to find, but the Allies used aircraft to find and sink German U-Boats in WWII. yes they were surfaced, but only modern subs are designed for complete underwater operation. thats why if you look at almost any WWI or WWII sub, it will have 1 or more flak gun on top.

I think he was more saying that battleships are slow in Civ but not in real life, which is another reason why civilization isn't accurate.

and someone on this site I think came up with a clever idea of how to get past movement of water tiles and sea units. I forget exactly how they did it, but they gave movement costs to certain sea tiles
Coast: 1
Sea: 2
Ocean: 3 (4?)

and then they made it so that galleys can pretty much only go 1 square into the ocean, and then gave ships like battleships a bit higher movement rate, and allowed them to ignore the movement cost of Ocean/sea... etc...
That is just a random guess by what I have logged away in my memory, but I am pretty sure its something like that.

yeah I guess I wasn't entirely clear... I was saying that the way it is in Civ makes no sense, as I know battleships don't take years to cross the oceans. Not even caravels take years to cross an ocean; Columbus's voyage took just over two months from Spain to his first landing in the Bahamas, and that included a 4-week layover in the Canary islands!

Anyways... I like the idea of modifying water tiles' movement values. If you care to, PM me how you go about doing that. I think that would make a major difference in how naval warfare is conducted in the game and add a welcome new dimension (ie, actually having to defend against foriegn navies!)

Top Bottom