Left Wing Sexism From Government Minister?

So getting very concerned about DV equal treatment by gender in the justice system has a sort of wilful blindness to the significant proximal issue.
we can start by not jailing victims w/o evidence that directly supports doing so.

and funny to use rate statistics when convenient. you disregarded the sentencing gap, though i'm sure you wouldn't mind pointing it out when it's racial, despite that one being less pronounced. i will accept this if you are willing to disregard this type of evidence going forward!

Intimate partner murder has a ratio of about 10:1 in the direction you expect by gender.
"x population commits greatly disproportionate percentage of crime" --> where have we heard this argument before? it sounds awfully familiar! if it wasn't valid then, why is it valid now i wonder? didn't many posters here call that exact rationale discriminatory/racist in other contexts?

though if you now accept that as valid, okay. it still cannot justify punishing the innocent.

Also while looking around I learned that since about 1975 - 2010ish female murder of intimate partners in the US has declined by maybe about 3/4 and its thought that womens shelters, restraining orders etc were maybe the cause. Do you think thats interesting? I thought that was interesting.
there are practically no men's shelters. do you think that's interesting? i think that's interesting, when people cry discrimination. maybe if the existence of shelters and easier restraining orders results in a decline of murder rate by the gender involved in addition to murder rate of the gender involved, we should expect more than a handful of men's shelters across the entire country? having a decline in male murder of intimate partners by 3/4 sounds pretty useful, if we consider this to be a causal factor (which seems reasonable, it's harder to murder someone you can't access).

the warped stats in intimate partner murder is misleading. men are more likely to be murdered than women, on average. however, they are also way more likely to murder in general, and thus when a woman is murdered the criminal is more likely to be a man.

there are practically no men's shelters. do you think that's interesting? i think that's interesting, when people cry discrimination. maybe if the existence of shelters and easier restraining orders results in a decline of murder rate by the gender involved in addition to murder rate of the gender involved, we should expect more than a handful of men's shelters across the entire country? having a decline in male murder of intimate partners by 3/4 sounds pretty useful, if we consider this to be a causal factor (which seems reasonable, it's harder to murder someone you can't access).
I agree. And those resources should be created. Not transferred. Its within our capability.

I apologize for deleting some things, but I definitely didn't say that people should be jailed without evidence so I'm not responding to that and some other things.

the warped stats in intimate partner murder is misleading. men are more likely to be murdered than women, on average. however, they are also way more likely to murder in general, and thus when a woman is murdered the criminal is more likely to be a man.
So what?

Are you describing, explaining, excusing? Are you claiming that it is exactly what we should expect to find, and you have the analysis to prove it?

I apologize for deleting some things, but I definitely didn't say that people should be jailed without evidence so I'm not responding to that and some other things.
yeah that's fair. i was pointing out this happens, not that you were saying otherwise or that it should happen.

Are you describing, explaining, excusing? Are you claiming that it is exactly what we should expect to find, and you have the analysis to prove it?
none of those, other than maybe a bit of explaining. as for the second part, yes. it's logically consistent that a) if most murders are by men then b) holding all else equal, we expect the murderer of a woman to be a man on average. there would have to be some change in motivation or behavior pattern to expect a different observation.

that men commit more murders on average isn't some well kept secret, i'm sure you were aware of that before this thread too. it would not surprise me if this colors some of the observed bias against them, when that bias manifests. we know that men are both more willing and more able on average, thus if we know nothing else about the people in question people it's predictable that both men and women will more at risk around other random men than women.

It is only natural. Men evolved to fight wars and to have 1950s-style office and/or factory jobs. Women evolved to do interior decoration and gossip about chick stuff.

Top Bottom