[R&F] Legacy policy cards

regeneration64

Warlord
What do people think of the government legacy policy cards? Any differences noticed since the Spring patch?

Does anyone utilise any particular strategies for them or just not bother with them?

And finally, an easy question (and 10 points for the first one to answer/work out!) How long do you need the requisite government for before the legacy card becomes available?

I'll take the 10 points: You have to finish a govt. building of a given tier in order for the legacy to become available. So if you have a tier 1 govt, say Classical Republic, and want to play the legacy card for the tier 1 govt, you have to finish the government plaza tier 1 building before the card will become available. If you have a Theology and want the legacy to activate, you must finish the tier 2 govt. building (such as Grandmasters Chapel or Intelligence agency, etc...).

I find the Classical Republic legacy card of the most some value (all cities with a district receive +1 housing and more importantly +1 amenity).

For the last question you just need to build the required govt building to make them come available. Warlord's Throne, Ancestral Hall, or Audience Chamber unlocks the first legacy card for the government you are in.
As for the cards themselves I don't usually use the later ones very often as their can be other greater cards to put in the wildcard slots.

Only card I regularly use is the +1 amenity for a city with a district. That's pretty powerful considering by this point every city has a district. The others I don't bother with.

I'll take the 10 points

By a whisker! 1 minute in it. I'm not sure how many points you need for a prize

That trigger makes sense. And here was me thinking that it was after x amount of turns. Is it possible then to get more than 3 legacy cards in a game? I think not?

I'm with you guys on the Classical Republic one. The Oligarchy one can be ok if you've got a spare slot and are warmongering on higher difficulties but don't really bother otherwise.

You can't get more than three, because you can't build more than three government buildings, one for each tier. And you get a card for the type of government you're in when it's completed.

Speaking of which, what does autocratic legacy do exactly? I know it says "+1 to all yields for each government building and Palace in a city." but what counts as a "government building?" I can't find this information anywhere so sorry if it's been asked before.

As for the topic, I find that Oligarch Legacy can be a very big deal when fighting a war right around the time it comes online. If they limited it to after the government was passed it would become so minimal I honestly hope they don't change it when you can use the cards, or if they do that they buff it to be a percentage or a larger value.

Speaking of which, what does autocratic legacy do exactly? I know it says "+1 to all yields for each government building and Palace in a city." but what counts as a "government building?" I can't find this information anywhere so sorry if it's been asked before.

My understanding is it is your Palace plus any buildings in the Government Plaza.

I sometimes delve into Oligarchy to get Oligarchic legacy and then go into Autocracy. Problem is Oligarchy is crap when you're not fighting, and Classical Republic is pretty bad unless you're Sumeria (or maybe Aztec) and don't need Conscription. The card is nice though.But the governments I always try to get out of ASAP; chop the Plaza buildings.

None of the t2 governments have an exciting card, and Democractic legacy is nice but I wonder if Communistic Legacy would be a better idea now.

As for the topic, I find that Oligarch Legacy can be a very big deal when fighting a war right around the time it comes online. If they limited it to after the government was passed it would become so minimal I honestly hope they don't change it when you can use the cards, or if they do that they buff it to be a percentage or a larger value.

+4 strength gives them same benefit no matter the base strength of the unit.

I sometimes delve into Oligarchy to get Oligarchic legacy and then go into Autocracy. Problem is Oligarchy is crap when you're not fighting, and Classical Republic is pretty bad unless you're Sumeria (or maybe Aztec) and don't need Conscription.

I stick conscription into the wildcard slot and have no problem with that. There are not yet too many cards to choose from when it becomes available. I start using the legacy card when I switch to the next tier normally.

I stick conscription into the wildcard slot and have no problem with that. There are not yet too many cards to choose from when it becomes available. I start using the legacy card when I switch to the next tier normally.

Well especially with Magnus around, having extra military slots is a big thing. And Autocracy could easily have +6 to all yields if doubled with its legacy card. That and 15% production to wonders. Classical Republic's Great Person boost isn't that impressive early on, and the housing/amenity is alright but I just don't think it's that impact though I may grab it as a legacy card.

The +1 housing/amenity legacy card is pretty strong and use it often in the midgame. The others are usually not as good as some other normal alternatives you'll have at the same time

It seems like some people are picking a government (Classical Republic anyone..?), grabbing the legacy card and then switching to another government. An interesting tactic...

I don't see a problem with using a legacy card while you are still in a government. In theory, you might become a Classical Republic in Ancient Times and remain one through the Classical and Medieval periods, perhaps well into the Renaissance. Your nation clearly has a legacy, it's just one that you've never abandoned, which to me makes it all the more legitimate. I always go for classical republic, but I do switch in and out of it depending on what's happening. For instance, with no military card slot, this can be where I put professional army for a few turns to promote archers to crossbows, etc.

Top Bottom