Let's Play Civ 5 (YouTube Playthrough)

quill18

Warlord
Heya folks,

Haven't posted here in quite some time, but Civ 5 has brought me back to Civ Fanatics -- just like I suspect it has for many of you. I've done at least one in-forum playthrough before, but I find that it's a lot of work to process all the images. :(

Luckily, I run a YouTube channel dedicated to gaming videos so I've started doing a Civ 5 video playthrough there!

You can see part 1 here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvCcz0FD4zk

And my channel (should you choose to subscribe) is here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/quill18

I also have some Civ 4 videos and and handful of other games as well.

UPDATE:
I have two additional video playthroughs. More details in these threads:

Let's Play Civ 5 - India (Cultural) - Video Playthrough
Let's Play Civ 5 - England (Giant Earth Map) - Video Playthrough

I really like your videos and I'm watching them right now. Just the graphic settings really suck :) I pity your computer :D

I really like your videos and I'm watching them right now. Just the graphic settings really suck :) I pity your computer :D

Thanks! And yes, I know. :(

I actually thought I had a GOOD computer. All the other games I play tend to be full-resolution and with the graphics turned up to Ultra -- it's just Civ 5 that gives it the fits. :cry:

Hm. Maybe it's because I'm playing in DirectX 11 mode? I wonder if I'd have better luck changing to DX9.

Oh my god, it's 10 parts.

Thanks! And yes, I know. :(

I actually thought I had a GOOD computer. All the other games I play tend to be full-resolution and with the graphics turned up to Ultra -- it's just Civ 5 that gives it the fits. :cry:

Hm. Maybe it's because I'm playing in DirectX 11 mode? I wonder if I'd have better luck changing to DX9.

Well what are your specs?

How much coffee did you have? :p

Actually, I'm really enjoying this. Your enthusiasm is pretty cool. I'll spare you on the history lesson (I'm in part one so far).

EDIT (a few hours late): OK, one history lesson. Dur actually does mean "fort of" (so you were right). There's an Assyrian city called Dur-Sharukkin that's the same way. I'm only on Part 7, but can't you save Great Scientists?

I love your playthrough so far (I'm at part 5). I especially like, as this is your first game, how you quickly go over the new fundamentals. I'm still waiting to get this game so this is a great way to tide the time. Thanks :)

Nice! I really like how you're so enthusiastic about playing the game, most LPers just sound bored while they're playing but you don't.

Interesting set of videos.

I think though that you really need to get some workers down at Nippur and to build more military, Persia seems to have a number of soldiers to the north that could attack you and Napoleon always seems to be a badass and be very agressive. Looking too weak leaves your cultural victory on a knife-edge.

But overall your videos are great and i will definitely continue watching them once you put more up.

Saw the first 5 of youre vids, and really liked it, hope you do more playthroughs (of different games perhaps?) in the future.

Will continue .. when i get time since today Civ5 is released over here and Civ5 > Civ5 playthrough :)

Also liked the little bits of info you were sharing, like with the Bananas :D

Quill18 ... those videos were some of the best vids I've ever watched on YouTube srsly. You really have a talent for these walkthroughs :)

Please keep them coming!!!

PS: When are you going to upload the next batch of videos ... can't wait!!!

How much coffee did you have? :p

Actually, I'm really enjoying this. Your enthusiasm is pretty cool. I'll spare you on the history lesson (I'm in part one so far).

EDIT (a few hours late): OK, one history lesson. Dur actually does mean "fort of" (so you were right). There's an Assyrian city called Dur-Sharukkin that's the same way. I'm only on Part 7, but can't you save Great Scientists?

rofl -- no coffee! I'm more likely to be drinking some nice Glenfiddich instead. :)

I just watch a LOT of YouTube commentators and I always feel like the enthusiastic ones are the most entertaining, so I try to keep up my energy level.

And yes, you can save Great Scientists but at the time I hadn't thought of it on my own yet, nor had I been doing much reading on the forums here.

Thanks for the info on "Dur" btw!

Great idea to do the video! Brings a lot of life sharing of the game!

Can I ask what program you used to record this and edit the video?

Cheers!

I use Fraps to record and then I have some scripts I wrote that use mencoder to encode the file to a manageable size using x264. I don't usually actually *edit* the videos, but when I do I generally just use VirtualDub.

Quill18 ... those videos were some of the best vids I've ever watched on YouTube srsly. You really have a talent for these walkthroughs :)

Please keep them coming!!!

PS: When are you going to upload the next batch of videos ... can't wait!!!

Thanks a ton!!

I'm really itching to get back to this game and I'm hoping to play tonight and get it uploaded soon after. I would have had more up by now, but a large part of my subscriber base is present because of League of Legends so I always make sure to make a little time for that each week.

Great job making these videos! They're so entertaining and enthusiastic. They also help people who need to procrastinate :) Keep them up!

Thanks a ton!!

I'm really itching to get back to this game and I'm hoping to play tonight and get it uploaded soon after. I would have had more up by now, but a large part of my subscriber base is present because of League of Legends so I always make sure to make a little time for that each week.

You're welcome!

Have you considered making a Ustream channel where you would play the game live? I think that would be a nice addition besides YouTube.

PS: Please make some vids asap, I'll buy you that chocolate you were raving about:goodjob:

You really are talented at the commentating. I never imagined laughing about the history of bananas and the location of Brussels while watching someone play Civ5.

Top Bottom