Lets set up a PBEM!

Genghis_Kai

GEM modder
Have been a bit frustrated with the AI in 1940AD scenarios. Joshua just reminded me that GEM can actually play via multiplayer games and I wonder if we could try setting up a PBEM game?

First in first serve. I will choose Germany :D

I actually never play a PBEM game before. Does anyone tried it? I am wondering how it handles player to player diplomacy since players are not playing at the same time.

USA for me then

Gosh this could be a ton of fun. Before I say yes, what are your expectations on turn around time for moves etc..? I don't want to sign up to something and then not be able to play. Oh and I hope it is not a free for all, meaning Germany and the USA pounding on the UK, it should still be teams for the major Axis powers (I am not sure it would be fair on Japan to have a real player playing China)

Oh BTW... Anyone have a sister willing to play France ... It won't take long:rolleyes:

Italy or the UK would be great fun.

As mentioned, I haven't played PBEM before and so I don't really know the issues yet. But from what I heard, I think it is expected to come up with a schedule for each player to follow. I suppose if we can come up with a schedule that each of us can play one turn/day would already be very good.

How we play diplomatic is an interesting issue. I propose something like 4 teams as follow:

Axis: Germany, Italy and Japan
Allies: Britain, India and Australia (or Canada)
America itself
Russia itself

Total 8 players. So America and Russia are the wildcards.

Or if having 4 teams is too complicated, may be try this:

Two teams:

Axis: Germany, Italy and Japan
Allies: Britain, America and China

Leaving out Russia for AI as a wildcard

4 teams sounds ok.

I've never played a PBEM before... but I would be willing to try.

Do you want to do something like 1 turn/day? Or 1 turn/week? Something in between?

I just fear that before long I might have to miss a few turns if it's 1 turn/day, since I will go for a holiday at the end of july. Would that be a problem? I don't want to sign up and then be an obstacle to your progress.

Other than that, I would like to play Italy. Maybe if I had to miss a turn, one of my team members can play it for me?

How about the rules? Do we create permanent alliances, so there can be a joint victory?

Best Regards,
Ace

Lets give a try for 1 turn/day first. Obviously if someone need to go holiday or absent for any reasons, we can stop - as long as we are all well informed.

may be lets try it with fewer people and more simple (i.e. fixed) diplomatic relationship first. So far we have: (in the order of game turn)

Genghis Kai: Germany
Ace of Spades: Italy
Halt: Britain
Bastian-Bux: America

Two more: one for Japan and one for any except Russia.

Forgot to mention there is a time zone issue. If the player order is not so comfort to the order of our timezone, we probably have to change which nation we play for efficiency.

I am GMT + 8.

I suppose we are all willing to play only at night time. Shall we also specify a time range in GMT time?

So for example, I am willing to play anytime between 2030 - 0230 (GMT + 8). So that becomes 1230 - 1830 (GMT + 0).

I can play from 1900 to 2400 GMT (from home) on most days, and sometimes it might be possible to submit a turn at 0900 GMT or later during the day.

This partly depends on if my Laptop can take a turn of GEM, it's a bit older.

Best Regards,
Ace

As Aces I'm in central europe, so nominally GMT+1. As we are at daylight saving time atm though, we are at GMT+2 actually. ^^ So Aces, maybe correct your times for this. :D I can basically access my computer (working at home most of the time) between 0600 UTC/GMT and 2000 UTC/GMT.

Oops. Good point, I did not take that into account.

That's 1800 - 2300 GMT for me then, 0800 GMT respectively.

Thank you Bastian.

Best Regards,
Ace

I didn't say that I can play all of that time. Just that I can access my computer. Thats the benefit of being freelance and working at home most of the time. Though 1 week a month this cuts back to 1400 to 2000 GMT.

The play order (major powers fat) should be:

Germany, Italy, Great Britain, France, Netherlands, Spain, Portugal, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Hungary, Greece, Russia, Turkey, Arabia, Egypt, Iraq, Iran, India, Thailand, Mongolia, Manchuria, Japan, China, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, America, Canada, Mexico, Colombia, Peru, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, and last - but not least - the mighty Minor Nations

So if we go at this with the players that currently signed up, the play oder would be:

Genghis Kai -> Ace of Spades -> Halt -> Bastian Bux

Since Kai is at GMT+8 and the rest is at GMT+2 (if I got that right, I am not entirely sure for Halt) this would make sense if we all want to play in the evening.

Should we use a modified map so we have real civ teams?

Team 1 (axis powers): Germany, Italy, Japan
Team 2 (western powers): Great Britain, France, America

the rest remains neutral/unaligned. Maybe we could add minor allies to the teams, like Finland/Hungary - or use them as vassals. Russia should definitely not be part of one of the teams.

I assume domination/conquest victory only?

Best Regards,
Martin

Sure why not?Id like to play as Japan.I noticed when you aquire more territory the AI will usually offer to become your vassel.However this seems to be done at random too.GK can probably figure it out though since he will be going first in a PBEM game.Im going to load up hotseat and see the turn sequence for all nations,but i believe it will be Axis,then allied, then axis so it might work out well!

Im Eastern standard time zone.I also agree that Russia should be a wildcard.Now as for start date of the war-wildcard or historical?Everyone (all the human players so far)start with oil except Japan.The Japs need either the oil field in northern China or traded for 1 source,or the Japs will be making a quick exit!LOL!

I tested hotseat and it does work.So i would think that setting the players including Axis and Allied powers to human would work as well.So for example GK can control Italy ,Germany and Hungary while i control Japan and Manchuria.Bastion wants America so give him Mexico as well and maybe columbia?Whoever control Britain gets the Dutch as well?Ah the possibilities.:goodjob:

I guess we will have to find out who will play first then divide up the allies and axis.Maybe one major nation and one vassel amongst players if we dont have enough.

Also i have no restictions when i can play BTW.My hours are quite flexible.

Joshua

I tested hotseat and it does work.So i would think that setting the players including Axis and Allied powers to human would work as well.So for example GK can control Italy ,Germany and Hungary while i control Japan and Manchuria.Bastion wants America so give him Mexico as well and maybe columbia?Whoever control Britain gets the Dutch as well?Ah the possibilities.:goodjob:

I guess we will have to find out who will play first then divide up the allies and axis.Maybe one major nation and one vassel amongst players if we dont have enough.

Also i have no restictions when i can play BTW.My hours are quite flexible.

Joshua

Thats an interesting suggestions, but would be quite complicated to set up. To find out the order, all you need to do is check the order when you choose which civ to play at the beginning. Now, checking the order, the workable combinations are: France + Netherlands and Manchuria + Japan. Germany, Italy, UK and USA are probably not good for combining. Anyway, let see if we can get one more person to join so that we can have a fair 3 vs 3 game.

Unfortunately, my laptop has gone for fixing and it will take a few days. I Hope we are able to start this game in the middle of next week.

Top Bottom