Liberating and Protecting Other Civ's?

Puppier

Chieftain
I have been playing as Polynesia and I started on a continent with Khan, ASSkia and Elizabeth. Unfortunately, ASSkia does not like neighbors and has been going to war for some time now against everyone on the continent. After several wars, ASSkia captured Elizabeth and Khan along with two city states. I am now at war with ASSkia (for the nth time) and I believe I have a decent chance of getting a bunch of his cities.

Generally, when I capture cities that used to belong to other Civ's I liberate them (being the cool guy I am). So I have a few questions:

• Can I liberate ANY city of Elizabeth's? Or does it have to be London? I ask because it is more convenient to liberate one of her other cities (York) as it is out of my way.
  • Do I receive a Diplo bonus for liberating other civ's?
  • How can I protect the newly liberated from dying out again?

Thanks!

I have been playing as Polynesia and I started on a continent with Khan, ASSkia and Elizabeth. Unfortunately, ASSkia does not like neighbors and has been going to war for some time now against everyone on the continent. After several wars, ASSkia captured Elizabeth and Khan along with two city states. I am now at war with ASSkia (for the nth time) and I believe I have a decent chance of getting a bunch of his cities.

Generally, when I capture cities that used to belong to other Civ's I liberate them (being the cool guy I am). So I have a few questions:

• Can I liberate ANY city of Elizabeth's? Or does it have to be London? I ask because it is more convenient to liberate one of her other cities (York) as it is out of my way.
  • Do I receive a Diplo bonus for liberating other civ's?
  • How can I protect the newly liberated from dying out again?

Thanks!

1) Yes, any cities of theirs can be liberated
2) Yes
3) Ring one or two of their cities with nothing but your own units (6-7 should suffice) in the event some hostile (but friendly to you) power decides to go lebensraum on them

Somehow I get the feeling you're not the biggest fan of the Songhai as an opponent....

Liberating any city of a civ that has been totally eliminated will recall them to life. Once they have been recalled to life, you can also liberate other former cities of theirs if you so choose. You could even puppet those cities and sell them back to the former owner if you want to be a bit more mercenary about it, though you won't get the diplo boost.

Unfortunately, the only sure way to prevent a newly liberated civ from dying off again is to keep open borders with them (I'm fairly certain an OB agreement is automatic with civs you liberate) and station units in every hex adjacent to their city. Signing a defensive pact with the liberated civ might also help, but that could jeopardize your diplomacy. Failing that, you'll just have to pound their former oppressor back into the Stone Age to keep the bully from picking on them again.

How do you liberate a city? I wanted to do this once and didn't see the option when I took the city. Do you have to annex the city first? Can city states bought by Austria be liberated?

CSs that Austria marries cannot be liberated back to CS status. If Austria had been eliminated, those former CSs could be liberated as Austrian cities but not as CSs.

CSs that Austria marries cannot be liberated back to CS status. If Austria had been eliminated, those former CSs could be liberated as Austrian cities but not as CSs.

Never thought about that. Although it seems like if Austria is out of the game, they should be allowed to regain CS status. I can see how that might create problems though

Top Bottom