List of Housing and Amenities Sources

Your scenario is extremely specific, assured to be temporary and includes variables that cannot be controlled.

Not sure if the insult was needed, because I also think he points out a valid point... I've left it out of my quote, but I think you should edit it out of yours.

Up to 4 cities, you should expand... Now if you expand to where there is at least 1 extra copy of a luxury (doesn't need to be unique since can trade to get a unique) then when you build a 5th city either 2 things happen (since I don't know exactly how your governor spreads them)

1) New city comes online, you improve the luxury quickly like you would in any other civ game, then the governor can do an even split of 4 to everyone anyways.

2) There might even be an advantage to building that 5th city since it doesn't need 4 amenities at first so your governor might be able to give 5 to some cities at the cost of getting 3 in others. It's also very easy to control growth in your extra cities to keep them small if for example your capital really need 5... Just don't build housing till you can support the extra population.

Neither are disadvantageous to the guy building extra cities to not be exactly on a multiple of 4. Neither scenario is very specific... Your newer cities (unless conquered) will naturally be much smaller than the rest of your empire. Most importantly, there's no advantage to sitting on 4 cities if the 5th or 6th at least provide a Luxury each.

Also worth noting... One mistake I've seen a LOT of the preview builders do... even the ones that were previously deity players. If you are below 8 cities but above 4, unless you are really concerned about potentially helping the other AI, you shouldn't hang on to extra copies of Amenities if you can get a unique one instead. The governor can spread uniques to the needs of your empire, it can't completely use up a double if you don't have 8 cities... The AI isn't trying to cheat you if it offers such a trade.

The governor can spread uniques to the needs of your empire, it can't completely use up a double if you don't have 8 cities.

So basically we should always aim to replace copies with uniques.
  • 6 cities and 2 copies of the same luxury resource: all 6 cities each getting 1.
  • 6 cities and 2 unique luxury resource: 4 cities will be getting 1, while the other 2 will each be getting 2 luxuries.
I guess that means we should be selling surplus copies, i.e. copies that are sitting idle because all our cities already each have a copy. It doesn't help to sell off a copy when we only have 2 copies and got 6 cities. It'll leave 2 of our cities without luxuries.

Are we going to have to check up on how many copies of each luxury we have, every time we do trades? Or are the resources in the Make a Deal window limited to only resources we are absolutely not using at the moment?

How does Aqueduct work how do you connect a city with no fresh water to fresh water?

afaik, you can build the aqueduct only in the first ring of a city and the aqueduct also needs to be next to either a fresh water source (lake, river, oasis) or a mountain. In other words, the city needs one of those in its first 2 rings.

In addition, the Aqueduct cannot be founded on a hill.
Nor can it be on a luxury / known strategic resource.
It can be on a bonus resource, but the bonus resource will be removed.
Forest would be removed. You'd need to clear Marsh with a builder first. Not allowed at all on Floodplains (unless playing Egypt)

Are we going to have to check up on how many copies of each luxury we have, every time we do trades? Or are the resources in the Make a Deal window limited to only resources we are absolutely not using at the moment?

The UI most definitely currently allows you to trade away luxuries you are using in full. It's the main reason most of Quill's cities in his videos are at -1 amenity. (He traded luxuries for GPT)

You can make deals with any of them, but if you are trading 1 for 1 it should always be favorable to have more unique luxuries over having any amount of copies regardless of the empire size. If you are trading away copies for gold, I imagine the governor will micromanage for the player in favor of getting as many cities needs met, focusing first on the ones with the highest negative needs.

Edit: But it probably won't warn you of how badly you might actually be needing that extra copy if you don't get a new one in exchange... Much like you would if you tried trading the last copy in 5. I'm guessing however that the AI will know the value of it's last copy and not trade it away very easily.

You can make deals with any of them, but if you are trading 1 for 1 it should always be favorable to have more unique luxuries over having any amount of copies regardless of the empire size. If you are trading away copies for gold, I imagine the governor will micromanage for the player in favor of getting as many cities needs met, focusing first on the ones with the highest negative needs.

Edit: But it probably won't warn you of how badly you might actually be needing that extra copy if you don't get a new one in exchange... Much like you would if you tried trading the last copy in 5. I'm guessing however that the AI will know the value of it's last copy and not trade it away very easily.
The main thing you need to know (and should be available in the trade screen) is

how many do you HAVE (i have 3 in my territory, am getting 2 from trade and sending 1 to someone else=I have 4)

How many can you trade (above example I can only trade 2)

How many can you USE (basically your city count 1-4 cities can use 1, 5-8 can use 2)

Mhrm. I'd actually like a mechanic to distribute them myself. It can still be done by governor by default, but that way you could put a focus on certain cities.

The main thing you need to know (and should be available in the trade screen) is

how many do you HAVE (i have 3 in my territory, am getting 2 from trade and sending 1 to someone else=I have 4)

How many can you trade (above example I can only trade 2)

How many can you USE (basically your city count 1-4 cities can use 1, 5-8 can use 2)

Most of those you only really need to know two things...

How many copies of a luxury I have total from all sources even untradable, and how many cities do I own.

The rest is fairly easy to deduce, although you might have to look into individual cities to determine how badly you need more.

Nice summary. I made similar for my Cheat Sheet which I hopefully release tomorrow.

Anyway, couple of things from my side:
1. You miss City State Mohenjo Daro for housing, if you are Suzerain all your cities are treated like they have fresh water access (not 100% confirmed so far, but it is almost sure from that Chinese leak)
2. I think it is already confirmed that Baths give 1 amenity.
3. Some Great Engineers provide housing (Mimar Sinan, Jane Drew and John Roebling).

I imagine the governor will micromanage for the player in favor of getting as many cities needs met, focusing first on the ones with the highest negative needs.

Is this confirmed? I got the impression from previous discussions that the luxuries are distributed evenly throughout the empire as much as possible, with no regards to what cities need or don't need it.

I find it interesting the encampment buildings give some housing.

Well they're buildings that do actually provide living quarters, especially the barracks. Maybe less so with the Armory, but generally students of a Military Academy would be living in the provided residence. I feel it makes perfect sense.

Well they're buildings that do actually provide living quarters, especially the barracks. Maybe less so with the Armory, but generally students of a Military Academy would be living in the provided residence. I feel it makes perfect sense.
They also provide a sense of safety for people, which may be part of the appeal but is applied to the housing mechanic.

I find it interesting the encampment buildings give some housing.
I find the lighthouse a little more puzzling. Sure, it was pretty common to have a family there, but the housing bonus is double that of farms. That suggests an entire community to me. Or just abstraction with no worries.

I find the lighthouse a little more puzzling. Sure, it was pretty common to have a family there, but the housing bonus is double that of farms. That suggests an entire community to me. Or just abstraction with no worries.
What exactly does the lighthouse do now again? ^^" Maybe it also adds to (invisible) fishing villages. :p

What exactly does the lighthouse do now again? ^^" Maybe it also adds to (invisible) fishing villages. :p
Like all the harbor buildings, it has a fairly long list.
+1 food
+1 gold
+1 Housing
+1 Citizen slot (for working the harbor, which gives +2 gold and +1 science per citizen. Harbor by default gives +1 great admiral point and +1 trade route. +1 gold per 2 adjacent districts, +1 gold per adjacent sea resource)
+1 Great Admiral Point
+25% combat experience to naval units
oh, and allows the building of the Great Lighthouse in an adjacent tile.

So yeah, probably abstracted fishing village providing a bit of food and bit of trade. Notably it doesn't give any bonuses to sea tiles/resources, which is part of the reason why they are so crap.

Lighthouse probably abstractly represents the exploitation of coastal real estate for commercial purposes (not quite harbor/port level) and the population that is represented by such enterprises (some of whom live on the boats or close ashore in huts, etc.)

You think you are clever but all you have done is display ignorance. Your scenario is extremely specific, assured to be temporary and includes variables that cannot be controlled.

Thank you for all the nicety, but I could take any number and it would work, except if I have more copies of a luxery resource than a quarter of the amount of cities I have. But let's be real, if you have a luxery resource that you can't use 100%, because you have 2 copies and 5 cities (for example), wouldn't you look to trade it with someone that has a luxery resource that you don't have yet?

So it's very simple:

1. Either there is no luxery resource that I have that many copies of that I still got some left after distributing through all my cities, so it's spread evenling.
2. Or I do have a luxery resource that I have that many copies of that I still got some left after distributing through all my cities, so I trade it with someone for a luxery resource I do not have a copy of yet (or not enough copies to cover all my cities, at least).

Hm, I am a little bit confused. How are the amenities of luxuries now working? The civilopedia says one lux -> 1 amenity in 4 cities, that's it... And judging from the lets plays it looks like it is the case.
The real amenity solver seems to be building your city in that manner, that as many as possible entertainment complexes are put together, so the Zoo and the Stadion can provide as many amenities as possible.
So it looks like that Toronto will be one of the most contested City States, at least in multiplayer I think...

Well the encampment itself doesn't give housing, just the building(barracks or stables). University also gives housing, same with a Lighthouse. There is also one Holy site building that gives housing(pagoda), however that requires selecting it as a belief.
These District specific buildings that give Housing seem quite arbitrary rather balance decisions really. Based more on what building would thematically provide housing rather than boosting any particular building or district. I mean the Campus as a district doesnt really need any prop ups, it is a pretty powerful district regardless(It is Science, :)) I really dont think the designers thought, you know what would make people build a Barracks, lets give it housing ;) However yes, if you plan to build one anyway, the extra housing is nice.

Top Bottom