List of Human Stupidities

Originally posted by CaptBoulanger
I had a game a few days ago in which I didn't have my spaceship ready in time and a coastal AI civ got theirs launched first. I couldn't possibly finish mine in time to beat them, so I loaded up my entire navy and army and sailed off for their capital. (22 tanks, 2 engineers, 3 paratroopers, 5 spies, 4 transports, a carrier with around 12 nuke missiles and 20 cruise missiles, and a crapload of AEGIS cruisers, submarines, and battleships). Thanks to having Magellan, my units were just able to get in range of their capital the turn before their ship was due to arrive.

So I go and nuke their capital, planning to move my tanks in (it's right on the freaking beach).

Someone forgot to find out that the AI had SDI Defense in all of its cities!

I ended up trying to batter down their half-a-dozen coastal fortressed marines with my warships and tanks, but I couldn't manage to pull it off, and unfortunately you can't sabotage SDI's (I found that out for the first time.)

Why didn't you just use the spies to blow the walls? :confused:

The French have nearly completed their great project Michaelangelo's Chapel.
Hm OK I have to remember to buy it this turn...
Paris builds Michaelangelo's Chapel
DamDam
load: autosave; load: auto2save
GOTO 1

I really hate it when I forget twice....

this happened yesterday, and it was really stupid :rolleyes:
I was under communism, and at war with almost everybody, I wasn't having a good time. So I decided to switch to Fundamentalism. I don't pay any attention to oedo years, so I had 3 turns of anarchy. after that I get the list of goverment types, and fundamentalism wasn't there (I hadn't discovered it yet :rolleyes: ) . So I went back to communism...
I Felt really stupid.

The number of times I have attacked an enemy Civ for their sole crime of threatening my status as the most powerful Civ on Earth...

only to find that THEY are the most powerful Civ on Earth...

and getting my butt kicked. It's happened in the past, will happen in the future, and is happening right now with the Spanish. I thought 20 howitzers, 10 armours, 10 spies, two battleships, 5 AEGUIS Cruisers and 6 or so cruise missiles would give me a decent beachhead. But nooooo...

Grrrrr...

-sav

P.S. I'm hopefully buying a computer today, so no more PSone Civ!!! Yay!!! no more waiting 15 minutes a turn and getting frustrated and trigger happy!!!

Back in the good old days of civ I a friend of mine used to build lots of trimeres. When i asked him why he said he used them to get rid of his obsolete units, because Civ I didn't let you have to many units. He didn't knew that you can disband them. :D

Just yesterday (been playing Civ2 for at least a couple years now) playing Persian Gulf War scenario, sent a stealth fighter out from Kuwait City to mop up a few Iragi units, and returned him with just the right amount of movement points left to Basra; only to be reminded that I had not captured Basra yet, and forgot to save to temp.sav before moving my fighter :cry: Then I realised after I went to bed that the Iranians had declared war on me the last turn, and I left all my ships out where their cruisers have been moving around. I fully expect to lose half my Eastern fleet when I hit the enter key tonight.

Hey, I just started playing, first game. I read briefly through the manual, but I figure this might be a faster way of getting my question answered. I am playing the extended original game, I have passed the 2020 date, I just made it to Centauri, but I don't know how to build anything there. My ship is there, I can look at the whole damn place, but I don't have any units on land and I don't know how to get them there. Was I supposed to put units on the spaceship before I left? The spaceship was fully decked out--100% chance of success.

Congratulations, you won the game:goodjob:
There are four ways to win/finish a game (iirc). Conquering all other civs or sending a spaceship to Alpha Centauri are the common ways to win it, but you can also retire (done on the game menu) or play until 2020 when you automatically retire.
You can continue playing on earth after you've won the game, but it won't add to the score.
So to answer your question, the game is finished and you can't continue on AC, there is however another game called Alpha Centauri which is similar to civilization, and begins with you crashlanding on AC having to start a new civilization.:)

Funxus I think he said he playing the extended game which means he can colonize AC and there should be an alien race. I think what you need to do is keep researching techs till you get one that creates a transport between your capital and the planet and then you can move units there, also I think you win it by discovering the Ultrastring Theory tech.
Anyway back to the topic...
Not knowing the entire time I was playing Civ 1 that trade arrows relate directly to science beakers and money! Actually read the manual for Civ 2.
Playing Civ 2 on Cheiftain because the 50% penalty for switching production was irritating to get used to. Has really crippled my civ playstyle.
Thinking building caravans and creating trade routes was a waste of time.
Staying in Despotism until I discovered Communism because Monarchy really sucked in Civ 1...
1 or 2 knights should be enough to take a city.
Diplomats, what a waste of money.
Man I could go on and on.

Yeah, I am playing the extended game. There is an alien race on Centauri. I want to colonize Centauri. I know after 2020 there is no score added, but it is really just for fun. The only research options are what appears might be an endless chain of Future Technology. Hmmm, I don't know.

Ultrastring theory is not an option to research, and when I look at it on the research tree there is nothing that leads to it. This leads me to believe that I might have to contact the alien colony, and acquire it through diplomatic means. However, how do I contact them if I have not units on Centauri. I thought the spaceship with its habitation modules would drop colonists on the surface. Did I screw something up? Do I have to wait for the alien civ to find me? Will it not let me begin to colonize Centauri after 2020?

joseph

Sorry, please ignore my post then:(
I had no idea there was such a version. How do you win in that version? When you conquer AC, or resettle earth?:)

From the ToT manual:
""Transport Sites are terrain improvements that allow travel between maps. Once you have the requisite technology, your Engineers can build Quantum Teleportation (QT) Portals."
"Starports function just like airports, with the important difference that they can move units between two worlds."
"...You still have two ways to win, however. You can conquer the new world in the same way you did the Earth... Alternatively you can continue the research race towards the goal of Transcendence..."
Taken from pages 136 and 137. Unfortunately I don't have my poster with advances handy but hopefully that's enough info for you guys.

I remember my first ever game. I contained such mistakes as:

Building every city 2 squares away from the next and wondering why 10 cities on a small island only stayed at size 2

Building about 5 engineers in each city to make every single square on earth (including completely uninhabited islands) into railroad/farmland

Not knowing that you could land troops directly into a vacant city or indeed how to tell that it was vacant and thus spending 3000 years bombarding Philadelphia by sea, every now and again landing a phalnax or something to 'see if anyone was defending it' by trying to take it.

Originally posted by John Bull
Building about 5 engineers in each city to make every single square on earth (including completely uninhabited islands) into railroad/farmland
Once in a game in civ1 I wanted to try to irrigate the whole island before I settled my first city. It was a large island, and I thought it would boost my growth.:)

Originally posted by broman
Back in the good old days of civ I a friend of mine used to build lots of trimeres. When i asked him why he said he used them to get rid of his obsolete units, because Civ I didn't let you have to many units. He didn't knew that you can disband them. :D
That's hilarious!:lol:
How about paradropping on to a small uninhabited island, then being stuck there forever b/c you forgot that you can't paradrop onto an airbase, only off of it.

Once(Ok, several times), I booted in DOS mode so I wouldn't have to deal with Windows loading(and crashing[a lot]), only to be reminded when Civ1 loads that DOS thinks I have NO extended memory(wtf is w/that, anyway??!!), so I have to quit, and load windows anyway. Except that I can't just type 'WIN' from DOS b/c then Windows still thinks I have no EMS. Which I knew, of course, I just forgot. So then I have to reboot the friggin' machine, and by that time I'm so fed up I end up just playing Nintendo instead.(no OS to worry about there)

Trying to explore the entire map before building anything--just in case you make a wrong choice. <:)

1) The first time I tried Democracy I had an entire navy (all built from a single city that had port facility) on the other side of the world. Two unhappies per ship = anarchy = no shield production = major shortages = watching entire navy, one by one, be disbanded on the doorstep of the enemy.
2) Building science wonders in separate cities.
3) Leading the tech race and obsoleting my own wonders.
4) Forgetting that dip doesn't have a free move of investigating like spy does and leaving him on the doorstep of your enemy after peaking into the city.

Originally posted by NorvilleB
4) Forgetting that dip doesn't have a free move of investigating like spy does and leaving him on the doorstep of your enemy after peaking into the city.

I thought that investigating a city with diplomat cost you the diplomat. Am I wrong?

Top Bottom