List of Mac-compatible MODs

Interesting! That save crashes on load for me in the same way as the 412AD save. I've tried starting a new game with the TAM mod, and then saves and reloaded the starting file with no problem, so it isn't a fundamental problem with loading TAM saves. I assume you are able to load at least one of these saves OK? If so, there's something different about our two installations.

I can load both scenarios fine. Everything looks alright until I end the turn. In the 412 AD save, the game goes belly-up when the other powers were taking their turn. Likewise, progressing time forward in the other scenario to 412 AD causes the game to go belly-up when you hit that year.

Perhaps some other Civ IV Mac player can try to download and load these to recreate the problem?

I tried to load the Age of Discovery - EGE Edition mod today. There was a whole string of XML errors from three different files. And i counted them, heh.

Units/CIV4PromotionInfos.xml - 11 errors. "Tag: an Info class was incorrect"

Civilizations/CIV4LeaderHeadInfox.xml - 13 errors. "Tag: an Info class was incorrect"

Units/CIV4UnitInfos.xml - 64 errors. "Tag: an Info class was incorrect"

Dont really know what to make of so many errors. Its not a BtS mod, its supposedly a Civ4 vanilla mod...

Have you tried zapping gremlins in those files?

They dont appear to have any gremlins. Or at least, the zap gremlins command doesnt leave any •s behind.

I tried to load the Age of Discovery - EGE Edition mod today. There was a whole string of XML errors from three different files. And i counted them, heh.

In case zapping gremlins (using textwrangler) is a bit too troublesome, here's a quick fix, which seems to do what zapping gremlins does:

take out all non-ascii characters in the text file.

If you're familiar with Terminal, you can do this easily:
Spoiler :

Go to Terminal

cd to your Mods directory

tr -cd '\11\12\40-\176' < filetobechanged.Civ4WorldBuilderSave > [new name of worldbuilder save, in which each non-ascii character deleted]

diff -y --suppress-common-lines filetobechanged.Civ4WorldBuilderSave newworldbuildersave

between the old file and the new file, and change whatever's been replaced with something that makes more sense, e.g.:
Año [original] -> Ao [after tr] -> Ano [make this change yourself]

Anyway, if you use TextWrangler, make sure to compare your pre- and post-gremlin stuff to make sure that you replace it with more sensical characters!

PS
The odds are, you're not familiar with command-line tools; that's okay, you don't have to be, there's always TextWrangler and zap gremlins! I just posted this in case you were, and because as a command-line guy myself, I would've appreciated this post before installing TextWrangler just for the zap gremlins function.

(I spent hours searching for what 'zap gremlins' did so that I could avoid installing a hefty program just for one function... with no luck. I hope my command-line snippet does cover all of what zapping gremlins does, though.)

Anyway, if anyone out there is curious as to the command-line method and want an explanation or clarification of how to do something, just speak up...

EDIT:
Wow, I type slowly. A response to the gremlins solution was already posted before I could suggest it.

Spent the afternoon playing the Ancient Arabia mod. Running Warlords 2.08 (or whatever the current vers. is), it worked right out of the box, and incidently, its quite a good mod too :)
Unfortunately, the turn times are getting really bad, and i'm only in the early-midgame... and this is running on a dual-2.8 with 4gb of ram =/

Heh, talk about bad... I only play Civ IV on my MacBook, not pro, with an integrated graphics card, Core Duo (not the new Core Duos that came out last year, older ones) 1.83 GHz with 1 GB ram and a dozen other apps running. Good thing Civ lets you run below minimum specs.

What kind of times are you getting? I get pauses of... I don't know, 15 seconds or so for a big earth map stuffed with units, but otherwise the turn times are quite doable. Do you have an integrated graphics card? Those are really terrible.

Heh, talk about bad... I only play Civ IV on my MacBook, not pro, with an integrated graphics card, Core Duo (not the new Core Duos that came out last year, older ones) 1.83 GHz with 1 GB ram and a dozen other apps running. Good thing Civ lets you run below minimum specs.

What kind of times are you getting? I get pauses of... I don't know, 15 seconds or so for a big earth map stuffed with units, but otherwise the turn times are quite doable. Do you have an integrated graphics card? Those are really terrible.

Anything from 10-30 seconds, sometimes theres a rare 40, but its pretty annoying. And this is on one of the alum iMacs, with the radeon 2600HD.

I have one of the new macbooks as well, the one released around the same time as the imac, but i save that one for Civ 3.

I confirm Ancient Mediterranean, WWI and Ancient Arabia (all with some txt errors, but I have imagination ;) ) all work and are great mods!
Could the first post be edited with links so all can acces this very usefull info, and could users upload the mods they have come to make working on MAC, that'd be a great community effort!

Hi :wavey: welcome.

The point of this thread was for each poster to give links to mods that work. If it fails in its objective it's because (a) very few working mods have been posted and (b) posters have added random comments that do not comply with the original required format.

The thread is under 100 posts, so it's not a big deal to scan it. However, if someone wants to summarise the very small amount of useful information here and post the summary, then the thread's originator may choose to append it or link to it in his first post.

I'll have a look at it, but note that (a) the acknowledgements indicate that it has an SDK change in it (the Mac version doesn't handle SDK mods) and (b) it says in red letters that it only works with Warlords 2.08.

Hi chums !
Good night from France
So this 's my first flood...and I'm not sure my english should be correct ; but let's go !

Well , as regards the mods , the best playable for warlods and the more interesting I tried is " NAPOLEON "or "Napoleonic Europe"(version 0.71) (Warlords) (by AlazkanAssassin) .I always play regurlarly whith this mod and I think this concept is succeeded so much well that it is possible to re-use it for make your own ...
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=3554

I confirm that WWI runs smoothly on CIV IV 1.74.
The only thing is that who developed it should have done a better research job. As istance, Trieste is a 3 size city at start, without a dock, while Venezia is a 8 size city. In 1914, the two cities were rougly of the same size, with Trieste being the first AH commercial, military and industrial port, with well known and high standard docks (the bulk of the K.U.K. AH navy was built there, including the massive and modern dreadnought Viribus Unitis and her sister Saint Stephan). At that time the city port was one of the biggest of the mediterrean with ships coming from all around the world (from the far east in particular, but including shippings from the Americas and Africa).
AH navy was bigger than the Italian one, more modern and with more expert crews.
I could post a modified version of the scenario if you like, but i need some time to check some datas about other playable nations.
Plus (on a general level) i don't understand the use of gas units. With a meager 9 base attack value i don't get what they are used for: they rarely survive a direct attack (even to Machine Guns): any suggestion on how use them?
Later
Rohirwine

link to mod: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=2656

Hi chums !
Good night from France
So this 's my first flood...and I'm not sure my english should be correct ; but let's go !

Well , as regards the mods , the best playable for warlods and the more interesting I tried is " NAPOLEON "or "Napoleonic Europe"(version 0.71) (Warlords) (by AlazkanAssassin) .I always play regurlarly whith this mod and I think this concept is succeeded so much well that it is possible to re-use it for make your own ...
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=3554

I checked this out and it looks very cool. Amazed it loaded and ran.

Top Bottom