List of Things to Do in Civ IV [so that the game doesn't go stale]

I've gotta say, I've tried Draknith's "Great Houses" idea, and it's REALLY fun! I modified it a bit for myself (added another category, made assassinations dice-controlled, and a few other tweaks), but it really adds a whole new flavor to the game! For example, I got a long line of Warlike monarchs and couldn't build much infrastructure, so I wiped out the other two civs on my continent and had to try three times to assassinate Irulan II because she kept defeating the assassins! Finally I killed her and Leto III assumed the throne, and for the first time in over 1500 years I saw peace and could build some libraries and markets! It's a great way to play, and really changes the way you play the game. :) Thanks for the great idea, Draknith! :beer:

Thanks alot renegade. I'm glad my little system worked for you too. Like I said it involves a lot of ink, paper, and elbow greese, but it does make for a different style of game play. Did you incorporate anything else? My problem is of late that I'll build the pyramids and go into a republic government where the houses hold less political power. Generally I change the leader to Pro-Consul of the Republic.

Yeah, it does take a bit of work, and lots of ink and paper, but it's sure worth it! :) I may even get my first Conquest game from this, because I've been FORCED to play as a Warmongerer (by my leaders). After reading your post, though, I get the idea that we don't use these great houses the same; sorry, I must've misunderstood what they were! I use them as the REAL ruler of the empire; I'm essentially the "regent", or the "executive" who enforces the leader's rule.

For example, if I have a leader who is Warmongering--Militaristic--Evil--Isolationist, then I play that way; I close my open borders (SO hard to get myself to do it, too! :) ), I usually switch to slavery (I consider that evil), and pump out military units, barracks, walls, etc., and of course, attack someone! :) If I get tired of that, I can "aid" another Great House to attempt an assassination on the current leader (roll 1 dice for the leader, 1 dice for the usurper), and if the assassination rolls a higher number, I choose TWO traits for the new leader (the other two are still random; I supported his/her "platform"). Of course, if the leader rolls higher, then he/she dodges the assassin's arrow/knife/etc. and stays alive (until I can try again in 5 turns :) ). And on a tie, BOTH are killed (the usurper and the current leader) in the attempt and a civil war ensues; a NEW leader from another House rises to power, with all random attributes, and I have to stop all cities from building their current project for three turns to simulate the civil war (put something else at the top of the list, then cancel it). Once I have Constitution, though, it isn't an assassination; it's an election that was really close, and I have to let the courts decide (Bush vs Kerry, anyone? :) ), so I flip a coin for the winner.

Am I doing this even REMOTELY the way you play? :)

Play the HOF gauntlets series and try to become an All Expansions Division Elite Quattromaster.

I've gotta say, I've tried Draknith's "Great Houses" idea, and it's REALLY fun! I modified it a bit for myself (added another category, made assassinations dice-controlled, and a few other tweaks), but it really adds a whole new flavor to the game! For example, I got a long line of Warlike monarchs and couldn't build much infrastructure, so I wiped out the other two civs on my continent and had to try three times to assassinate Irulan II because she kept defeating the assassins! Finally I killed her and Leto III assumed the throne, and for the first time in over 1500 years I saw peace and could build some libraries and markets! It's a great way to play, and really changes the way you play the game. :) Thanks for the great idea, Draknith! :beer:

Dune is a good book!

re oPlaiD: Amen to that! I was wondering how long it would take for someone to catch my inspiration for my Great Houses. :)

Top Bottom