Locked Alliances and Tech Trading

Brucha

King
When designing a scenario, I am trying to determine the long-term game effects of tech trading when using locked alliances. So far, I have discovered that there tends to be heavy tech trading among the allied civs in the locked alliance. I worry that this heavy amount of tech trading will overbalance the technological superiority of the alliance in regards to its enemies (both indiviudual civs and another group of civs in a locked alliance). Any thoughts as to these effects?

After careful searching through threads concerning flavors and diplomacy, I have determined that flavors will only affect build/research choices for the AI but not diplomacy, which negates what I am trying to do. The best I can do to control the amount of techs being traded is to eliminate locked alliances and use shunned governments, which sucks. Or the other option is to make all techs (or at least the lower half of techs on each era tree) not available to trade.

Basically, I am trying to mod, Lord of the Mods to include locked alliances with the "Free Peoples" against Mordor, Isengard, the Easterlings, etc, but in playing the game, the Free Peoples quickly gain a huge lead on the first tech tree from tech trading because they have contact right away in the game, whereas Mordor, Isengard, etc, do not. By the middle of the first era, the Free Peoples have at least 5 more techs than the alliance of Mordor. And that's only in the middle of the first era tech tree.

You can adjust the AI to AI trade rate on the Difficulty Levels tab of the editor. This will change how often AI can trade if setup right.

Tom

Wow, I missed that - but a clarification. If the setting for AI to AI trade is higher, they will be less likely to trade? Or is it the reverse?

Here is the description from the Conquests Help file.

As you can probably see in the editor, playing on Chieftan is set to 110, whereas Sid is set on 200... higher number makes AI trade is more aggressive and more frequent.

So if I understand what you are trying to do, you will want a very very low number set to decrease amount of trading and make AI trades not very aggressive.

Tom

Attachments

• AiAItrade.jpg
    AiAItrade.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 185
Thank you for the clarification, tom2050. That helps alot!

Top Bottom