• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

LoL, navigating the world bonus

bds

Warlord
In my current game of civ i got the bonus that makes ships go faster for going around the world, problems is ive never left my little island... apparently you can get it just by trading maps, lol.

I find that odd as well!
I wanted to try out why the AI wants to circumnavigate all the time and to check on my computer rivals, I exchanged maps. One rival was close, but because it traded maps with me, I only had to sail one square. :p

Indeed, trading maps will give you the bonus. I'm not sure exactly how it works - but I think that player number one, if trading with, say, player number six (who has a nearly full map - or completely full when combined with player one's) will always be the one to be given the bonus. In other words, the player higher up on the playing list might always be the one to get the bonus during such a trade... It's only theory, and probably not correct.

Also, certain AI seem to like to explore much more than others. I have noticed that Washington will quite often send a few boats out in either direction as soon as possible in order to circle the globe - so be sure to do some map trades with him. I'm sure there are other leaders who like to navigate the globe as a priority, as well, but none come to mind.

In a civ world that wraps East to West, you have to have one of all the horizontal tiles revealed. They do not need to all connect.

In a civ world that wraps North to South, you hve to have one of all of the vertical tiles revealed. They do not need to all connect.

In a torodial world (e/w and n/s) you need to have one of each of the horizontal and the vertical tiles revealed. They do not need to connect.

I played the world map once and had one ship off the coast of modern day Argentina and another just outside modern day Chile. So only a few more turns for the bonus. I then stupidly traded maps with the Incans and they got the circumnavigation bonus!!! They didn't even have any ships... :crazyeye:

I didn't know this until just recently, and i lost the bonus because I traded away my world maps... I definitely don't think it should be this way, you should have to do it yourself...

in a toroidal map can you zoom out like you can on spherical maps, it would be pretty cool to see all the cities laid on on a torus.

Top Bottom