Lonely Hearts Club, BtS Edition, Chapter XLIV: Mehmed II

Checkpoints 2-3 1450AD

Spoiler :

Well I finally managed to reach the last civ (Alex) so have now met them all. I managed to get a couple of techs off Cyrus for Edu, I did have Gunpowder as well but by the time I went to trade that he already had it. :( I do have some things to trade.

Unfortunately with Sury as worse enemy of AC and Alex worse enemy of Vic/Zara I can't trade with them without the -4 you traded with our worse enemies. :cry:

I opted out of conf to lose the religious differences but currently still in OR as I'm waiting for my next GP before I change any civics in a Golden Age.

Current Demographics.

Well behind Zara/Viccie but otherwise not to bad. I've settled all the planned cities although I might squeeze 1 more in down South.

Victory aim. I'm going to try and play friendly with everybody and go for a space win and see how quick I can do it from now. I might find a beeline to the Internet might help and just have to avoid being attacked.

On to checkpoint 4

Checkpoint 4

Spoiler :

A very quiet last 500 years. For me anyway. Along the way Sury became AC's vassal and Cyrus had Alex as his vassal. Other wars were Viccie and Zara against Sury. Me I just took it quiet and built my ship in peace.

Were on our way.

No worries about being attacked. If I had tried I could probably have won a diplo victory.

Thanks for hosting this R_Rolo. :goodjob:

Immortal/Normal

Checkpoint 4 1917 AD

Spoiler :
Caravels prove the world round as expected:

For whatever unknown reason, vicky sleeps on lib. It's not a great tech but I'll take it over not winning lib. Haha!

From there, I set the world on fire with diplomacy. I got alex to pleased and started attack-dogging him. Bribed him vs vicky. Sury vs zara. Later zara vs cyrus, alex on vicky again, zara on sury, etc etc. Bribe bribe bribe.

What do I do meantime?

I tech to mass media, get one of the culture wonders (others go to zara thanks to me bribing to cover my butt). 3 religions spread to my mainland so I just use those + FR + broadcast + FS + er...createcon since I got an engineer. Whatever.

Towards the very end of the game zara spread sushi in my # 3 culture city...he alone knows why...didn't affect the outcome at all though. A couple space parts were up but nobody was too close thanks to all the war. Vicky and Zara were about tied for 2nd in culture, with their #3 city around 20k when I won.

This game was relentless cottage spam and the civics showed it. I got to defy environmentalism once but they repeated so many others and culture slider was so high it wasn't even close to mattering. Creatcon actually made me money since the hammers were also applied to wealth in all but my #3 city.

Overall, this was a weak effort for culture, because I went for it late. However, tying up the AI made it easy.

1921 Space Victory - Deity/Normal

Spoiler :
Well things look good for a start, lots of land, plenty of food, river start. If this were immortal I'd be tempted go for a SE/WE just from the start alone. As is we send the warrior north and opt to let borders pop the hut.

Tech order is AH -> mining (hut) -> BW -> pottery -> writing -> fishing -> sailing -> IW.

The more green I see, the more this looks like a good CE/TE setup, particularly when I see not one but two offshore islands.

Exp, org just begs for REX so cities are dropped between the wheat/pigs and the pigs/horses. After I get up a lib and two Scientists in the cap I opt for cities at the clam/marble/pig (1 NE of th Marble due to a barb city), the Fish/Fish/Fe city (MS city), 1S of the gems (eventual Oxford), 1 SW of the horse on the island, at the fish/clam/crab city and empty greenspace along the north rivier (HE city). Civics are just slavery.

Tech order is now all econ (currency, CoL, CS, MC) and then a bulb run to lib. I meet Vicky here (she finds me) and I elect not to trade with her (as the founder/practicer of Confucianism tends not to have that many friends). I meet Zara, Alex, and Suri reasonably soon thereafter and throw my lot in with the Buddhists (Zara founded) I trade away paper, and edu while racing Vicky and Alex to Lib; Suri is nerfed so I manage to get a few tech brokerage deals going with the backfill. Vicky could have had it long ago but she is out playing around with the Constitution line. I take Nationhood with Lib, solely as trade bait. And opt to head down the chemistry line (backfill trading everything I get when I get it). My initial plan was to make a quick beeline to Medicine and to nab Sushi/CreCon/CivJ/AlCo and run for culture (Zara is a great DP buddy), but I had bunch of left over GPP in my MS city which had to begun to run a Engineer who poppped me a nice GE. Thus I opted to run towards Combustion instead.

Eventually I meet Cyrus and Augustus, Alex no longer will trade (and is building out for war). I spam a few janisarries and many cannon. Alex lands, gets nerfed by the cannons and eventually I get Railroad which lets me spam a few MGs that eat his Curis/Cannons/Nades for lunch. Diplowise, Vicky doesn't like me, but is happily teching to space. Zara is my best friend forever and heading culture. Suri is reconstituted when the AP votes him back his cap and another city from the Romans. I set up a nice trade line with those two and Cyrus. Greece and Rome are slowly falling behind me, both hope to take over the world but hate each other and Cyrus and more than me. Civics are US, FS, Eman (happiness as I had a health event and good resources for mass health in my mostly coastal empire), FM, and FR. I revolt to each ASAP.

I found Mining Inc. at the Fish/Clam/Crab city (has NE will become WS city and is running Merchants to fund a higher slider and pop me a GM for Sushi) as Vicky has opted to take CreCon. The lack coal is going to be very annoying but I have hopes of decimating Vicky before she gets to offshore oil; or alternatively getting 3GD (as my cap is my only serious production city). That plan goes up in smoke when she opts to power tech there. So we opt for the tried and true biology -> medicine -> electricity -> refrig -> superconductors -> genetics. Along the way I nab Sushi.

I managed to get some pretty solid trade deals and get my first monopoly tech at superconductors (which I keep monopoly for as long as I can). My back of the envelope calculations say that I won't be beating Vicky to Alpha Centauri even as I'm slowly drawing even with her techwise. Everyone else is effectively ignored, they repetively go to war and I'm only concerned about Vicky.

Thus begins operation Iranian-style proliferation. I hard tech to fusion and backfill trade to rocketry. Manhattan is built almost to completion and then shelved. I randomly get coal in the cap which leads to a round of mass industrialization. Now comes the crunch moment:

Vicky launches in 1880. I complete Manhattan and then power produce six nukes in 2 turns (having nerf my tech progression to ecology). Two turns later London is hit by two ICBMs and curse because I mispositioned a ship so I can't raze another city. Instead I opt to just nuke her U, and her cities. In spite of her obscene tech and unit advantage burning down her cap keeps her army at bay and I opt to let her navy do its worst until I can force a peace via the UN or she gets bored. No need to nuke the Royal navy. I have a metric ton of workers rebuilding improvements and my only problems are limited starvation from fish boat burning and a small amount of happiness issues as Cyrus is liquidated. The game goes into easy mode as Vicky loses 3/4ths of her pop to my ICBMs and the other AIs start nuking each other. Eventually Vicky sues for peace and I tech out the rest of my spaceship parts in peace and launch in the early 20th century.

Mistakes made:
1. I didn't fill in the small resourceless spots soon enough. Even at the end of the game I have a few spots that could have given me net gains with corps in about 40 turns.
2. Not getting Sci Meth earlier so I'd know to beeline combustion and flight to follow up with industrialization to off Vicky when she couldn't counter.
3. Poor diplomacy, I should have been checking more regularly to start more AI-AI wars mid game.
4. Not having a few destroyers to kill subs. The biggest reason I left the navy alive is that I could just instantly rebuild my Cu min, Marble quarry, and Gem mine which Vicky kept attacking with jets/missiles. Kill those and then I could have sub swept and kept my boats alive.
5. Not gifting a few tac nukes to Cyrus (before he died) or Suri (as he was being redismantled).
6. Poor planning of the English invasion. With marginally superior planning I could have razed 2 cities besides the cap. With an earlier and more wholehearted push to nuke warfare I could have taken every coastal city turn 0 of the war and killed virtually all of Vicky's land units.

Attachments

• Mehmed_Vic.jpg
    Mehmed_Vic.jpg
    484.5 KB · Views: 148
Hi

Prince, Marathon, 1905 AD checkpoint 3 and 4.

Spoiler :
Okies I kinda took my sweet time before making a move, mostly cuz zra and vicky were being techwhores grrr. It seemed like JUST as I wa sgetting a navy and army going EVERYBODY zipped through gp and chem and making rifling and sp a BIG priority.

Which kinda shut the window on jannies even b4fore they really got going. So I put things off until I get petter units which to me meant Infantry. So I teched along that path. Minor set beck when after teching through steampower NO coal grrrrr. But I had oil and eventually I felt I had a dedent stack and FIRST thing I did was sail over to Alex's ap city and raised it.

He was a LITTLE ticked at that but after I took another city he was ready to see reason and cap. I thought great, I'll just gift him back the one city I took demand his resources and then go after vicky or zara who were still being the number one techers.

Unfortunately Alex got a little too big for his britches. After ten turns he canceled ALL the resources I was making him give me. Unfortunately for Alex he picked RIGHT after I had teched out Idustrialism to get uppity so:

This time I decided I wasnt going to be nice and have to slap him around a little. I even managed to catch his navy in port hehe.

I know he still has galleys but that was a weird thing in this game. While EVERYbody teched out gunpowder, chem, steel, mil sci and rifling and mil trad NO body got astronomy for the LONGEST time. I dont know if it was cuz they ALL had contact with each other without it so it wasnt a priorty or what but for whatever reason they took their sweet time getting the naval techs going.

Would have been IDEAL time to build TONS of privateers and rule the seas unfortunately by time I noticed it I also noticed I had NO coal so had to hurry and get combustion so I could build RR for the hammers so privateering was out.

SO anyways I take out all of alex's good cities and all he has left mainly is other cities he took from like Sury and Augie and Cy had cities between me and those so I let Alex cap AGAIN and this time he learned his lesson I made fork over ALL his resources again and I mean ALL I was like "I DONT care if I already have 5 other cows hand over BOTH of yours or else!!" and this time he kept his mouth shut and was a good boy rest of the game hehe :)

Now while I was dealing with Alex Cy made a move on Augie and actually capped him so he had gotten HUGE. But he was spending SOOO much time warring he let his tech slide a bit. The tech whores zara and vicky BOTH had Infantry by this point BUT Cy and his lackeys didnt even have steam power. So even though he was HUGE:

Luckily since he spent so much time warring with augie pretty much ALL his military was waaaaaay off on other side of continent and both he and augie went after alex's cities first.

Eventually a HUGE 40 plus stack of units came my way after alex had lost about 3 cities but by then Cy had lost his cap and all of his orginal core cities and by that time I had bombers going to and LOTS more tanks thanks to air lifts so that stack didnt do all THAT much since they were mostly cav and a few cannons and grenadiers.

So cy started losing cities, Sury lost the two cities he had left and was killed off. I took over the cities Alex lost and kept em just cuz I could (he need to learn when he caps he has to STAY capped hehe :p) and started taking roman cities too.

Pretty soon cy was down to just one city and rome had lost a few cities too and my land percent was getting close to sixty out of sixty four % needed so I let augie cap and cy cap and checked the vic conditions:

It seemed like things were looking good so I end the turn and:

I get a dom win :D

Final graphs look like this:

Not exactly sure WHAT vicky was doing other than spending a TON on xp points hehe. She also build apollo program but since she couldnt build ANY parts thats ALL she did.

Final demos:

managed to be able to get leads in most categories by end.

Final tech sitch:

I guess zara was thinking space too cuz both he and vicky spent LOTS of time on rocketry while me and cy and his lackeys were busy fighting.

Only thing that really annoyed me was:

I didnt have cahnce to take out zara's city that was keeping me from clean sweep of top 5. hehe.

Anyways all of that added up to:

A decent score but not one of my all time best mostly cuz it took me SOOOO long to get enough of an army and navy to make a move the game ended kinda late.

My final empire:

What I took from the AI's:

My top 3 cities:

My money city.

My science city

My cap ended up being my hammer city. Even after I left beauacracy for free speech it still did lots of hammers cuz of IW and it wonderwhored enough to even get to legendary hehe.

Well thats it. After getting CRUSHED twice in a row on LHC I FINALLY manage to pull off a win so I am happy :). THanks every body and see you all next game :)

KaYtie

Top Bottom