1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Long Winded Changes (LWC) Mod

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Modpacks' started by Plutarck, Nov 12, 2001.

1. Plutarck

Plutarck LWC Master

I don't think the .zip file with all the files is an unreasonable request, but as I already have to upload 50megs each time I change them I have decided to just wait until my post-official patch version.

Version 1.0 will probably handle installation quite a bit differently, and the unit animations will move over to an add-on pack, thus never having to be downloaded another time again.

And if you look at the webpage you will note that I mentioned that I had a "manual installer" planned for those who have a problem with the installer. Been there since 0.8 was added.

However for those of you who want a .zip immediately, there's a simple solution.

On the installer, rename the file extension of .exe to .zip. Now open the file, then open up the Installer.zip file inside that.

There you have the file which the installer actually installs, including all units, text files, and graphics files. The whole thing there right for you.

This will also be the instructions for people the installer doesn't work for, and that should also allow me to only up to upload a single version (just the installer for windows, not needing the .jar).

2. KALIROB2k2

KALIROB2k2 God of War

Well, I see where your comming from Lordroy, then perhaps you have a reason to be more alert. Just figuring the file is very large, and making a new version of file might be alot to ask at the moment (Plus might take away from future versions). It might not mean to much, but I can assure you he isnt trying to trick you. I apologize for my jumpyness earlier, I am a bit on edge at the moment with a wedding/school/angry fiancee :lol: She said I should apologize to anyone I might have offended while I was stressing once again.

3. Plutarck

Plutarck LWC Master

Once again I'll have to respond to other posts later...but I think I've finally fixed all the stuff that needs fixing.

A patch is now available from the website, so just follow the directions there (just unzipping) and the only bugs remaining _should_ be in the game itself, not the mod.

*wipes brow*

Shwew!

An odd crash still exists where if you start a new game within a game the game will crash and crash until you reboot, but that seems to be a problem with the game itself.

4. Scipio Africanu

Scipio Africanu Consul

In my opinion LordRoy, based upon the definition you gave us, you are suffering from a phobia. Sure the FIRST definition may not have been fitting but the second one did describe your behavior.

2. A strong fear, dislike, or aversion.

You do have a fear of exe files because a fear is defined as

1. A painful emotion or passion excited by the expectation of evil, or the apprehension of impending danger; apprehension; anxiety; solicitude; alarm; dread.

The key words being "apprehension of impending danger." which you do have.

Second you do have a dislike of .exe files, that is not disputed.

Thirdly you do have an aversion for exe files.

2. Opposition or repugnance of mind; fixed dislike; antipathy; disinclination; reluctance.

You are reluctent.

Incase you want to further discuss the use of words and thier proper meaning im more then open, but don't get into a pissing contest because someone said phobia. Its not a terrible word and it wasn't unduly used, it was simply the best way to describe your behavior. Like I said thats not terrible just a fact.

5. lordroy

lordroy God

ahh ummm ... ok:rolleyes:

6. The Iceman

The Iceman Chieftain

In RL aluminium is a vital resource (or rather bauxite is), but there is a way out if you don't have access to aluminium.

Magnesium is probaly a good substitute, it is not as common today due to costs, but all you need to produce magnesium is electrical power and sea water.

So building a (highly expensive) magnesium plant in a coastal city could be a way out. But I'm not sure if this is a good thing for the gameplay.

7. AuraPsi

AuraPsi Chieftain

A few seconds after I trade for Masonry from another country (ie, when it is seeding the Stone resource) I get a crash to desktop. It doesn't crash when I discover it on my own, only when I trade for it.

Any ideas?

[Update: It is now crashing when I discover it on my own, too :( ]

8. Faldrath

Faldrath Chieftain

Plutarck...

I still haven't played it (I'm waiting for the patch, so I halted all Civ3 activity), but I must criticize some things. Mainly your new wonders, because I don't like them at all. I think wonders should be really one-of-a-kind things, and neither of the 4 are.

Great Winery - Too general, and not too creative either. Furthermore, people might complain because it's related to alcohol consumption (although that doesn't bother me).

National Unionization - Again, too general, even though I like its effects and explanations.

Global Security Agency - Actually, on second thought, this isn't that bad. But since I said I would comment on all 4... :) But why 10 culture? IMO, this shouldn't give a lot of culture at all... what has security to do with culture?

Orwellian Thought Police - I know this is the most original, but come on. It's almost like creating Nazist Concentration Camps as a wonder. It's surely an evil thing, and shouldn't be a wonder (let alone part of the game) at all.

I guess that my point is that we need no fictional wonders - there are plenty of existing things that could be wonders, like the Statue of Liberty, the Eiffel Tower, the Genome Project, Karl Marx's "Capital" (come to think of it, that might be a good replacement for National Unionization), Angkor Wat, the Taj Mahal, the Guggenheim Museum, the Parthenon, Stonehenge, heck, even Disneyland :)

Other than that, the mod is still fantastic. Can't wait to play it :)

9. Scipio Africanu

Scipio Africanu Consul

I agree with Faldrath.

10. KALIROB2k2

KALIROB2k2 God of War

God those are some good wonders :goodjob: why dont you just write Plutarck and see what he thinks. Jesh you just named alot of wonders I never came up with.
    But the Global Security Agency is a good one, and I can see how it has to do with culture, I mean it protects all the people and gives them time to be happy, basically like avoiding wars in the game, hell it just allows people to live happy without fear.
    The Genome Project is a good one as well, real future tech sound to it makes it sound modern, some Wonders dont do that late in the game.:king:

11. KALIROB2k2

KALIROB2k2 God of War

Hey I was thinking and Il Mafioso's Civ3 Usability Pack 1.0 (Its on these boards) would be kind of cool to incorporate into yours, I mean I had his patch on until I started using yours and now those helpful icons are gone. :confused: Maybe you to could work together to get that added into your own mod here and make it even better? Just an idea perhaps? :D

12. Enforcer

Enforcer Chieftain

agreed

Enforcer

13. Anglophile

Anglophile Warlord

I have same problem as AuraPSI; game crashes shortly after discovering Masonry. Changed the enabling tech to Construction; restarted from a save and played right through Masonry but the game crashed at Construction. I have had problems with the added icons disappearing but the patch seems to have sorted that out.

Love your mods and appreciate all the effort you have put in and shared. I had fewer problems with ver 0.7 although it did crash relatively often at the first turn change, but was then stable if it made it past that hurdle.

14. gorilladf

gorilladf Chieftain

I have that manifeso mod too! I don't want to loose that! It helps a ton. It would be great to combine these. Hopefully after the patch.

I like the idea of disneyland as a wonder :)

15. homer

homer Chieftain

I played a game of the .8 version for quite sometime without a problem..looks great!! but I then tried to start a new game tonite.. and now it crashes everytime within 10-20 turns.. tried the ol magic reboot.. even reinstalled it.. but still crashes.. after reading the above posts.. Im wondering if the AI reaches Masonry and thats whats causing it to crash..

Moot point anyway until the patch comes out.. but thought id post the problem anyways

16. KALIROB2k2

KALIROB2k2 God of War

Yea I already emailed Il Mafioso's seeing if he might be up for it before i posted the question (so hopefully i might not offend him)so hopefully he might be up for it, and so might Plutarck. :) I think that combined that would be a real good addition, plus Il Mafioso's patch will live on in the LWC mod. So everyone else cross your fingers along with me :D

17. KALIROB2k2

KALIROB2k2 God of War

Well I learned I think should be used to warn others, so this post is more of a warning of what I and a few others have found a BAD thing about the new patch. DONT install that patch if you have WinXP and from what I would guess that same might go for Win2k. :mad:
    For some reason with the patch it cant find Civ3 in one of your drives, and will only work if you switch the drives, I guess if you dont have 2 drives well your out of luck? :confused:

18. Faldrath

Faldrath Chieftain

I have Win2k, and it works :)

19. KALIROB2k2

KALIROB2k2 God of War

Well, at least one got lucky :lol: But with the patch now done I think we are all okay. :)

20. fire_dragon54

fire_dragon54 Chieftain

:goodjob: greetings this is my first post!

So where's this patch of yours plutarck? I painstakingly donwloaded version 0.8 and i hoping to fully play it for real! Damn those Illegal Operations!!