Longtime Civ4 player, wanting to buy this game, but

Both Civ6 and Civ4 are fun but they are different games. The fun parts of Civ6 are not available in Civ4 and vice-versa. I post a lot on Civ4. I also play Civ6 but I don't post much because everything I wanted to know is already explained somewhere.

1UPT is a (very poor) solution to the problem of too many units in Civ4, not an end in itself. Here, taking off rosy-tinted glasses, I trust focus groups and marketing experts, more than vocal minorities in forums, that the large number of units to control in Civ4 is a weakness in the eyes of most of turn-based strategy gamers and should be dealt with.

On my wish list for the next Civ game is maintenance costs that scale with distance from your cities and/or culture borders.

civ 6 is so bad the league players of 20 years had to create mods to make the game playable .This game is like playing chess but with a white wizard on the board. laughable.
Bring back sid for the next iteration because the current team havent a clue how to make a 4x strat game. They lost the plot with giant death robots and vampire,s.

Have been playing since Civ II, have the tech tree that came in the box as a poster in my office. Civ II will always be my favorite version of Civ. Played the most of CiV and least of Civ IV, but that is basically just due to timing of those games and my own life. Every iteration will do some things better and some things worse. There are pieces I love and pieces I hate from each one. Civ VI is the best version of Civ out there. It improves on the core loop, looks amazing, and brings a ton of options to the table. It is not a perfect game, it has plenty of flaws 4x games are messy and have very uneven gameplay flow. If you enjoy the Civ series this is the best one to be playing now, and all the add-ons give great choices for you. Certainly not a guarantee you will like all the parts, but the vast majority of Civ players will have a great time in with this entry.

I have played since civ1 and at the end of the day they were always the same effect: I prefer to play the latest iteration over the previous one. Civ6 is no different.

I have played since civ1 and at the end of the day they were always the same effect: I prefer to play the latest iteration over the previous one. Civ6 is no different.

Every new iteration has brought something out that wasn't there before. I absolutely adored civ 4, but when civ 5 came out, despite all its flaws, its challenges, and there being many parts that frustrated me, after playing 1upt on hex times, I just couldn't go back to stacks of doom. It led to an unfortunate case where I got tired of 5, but 6 wasn't out yet, where I could go play other games. But I just don't see going back to 5 once 6 is out, or 4 once 5 came out, or 3 once 4 came out, etc...

My experience with Civ is a bit like my experience with Dr. Who. Yes, I like all the later regenerations, but the first one I watched is my favorite.

Religious units are pretty good for scouting. I just found I could scout an enemy with a missionary of their own religion which they can’t do anything about.
if by *an enemy* you mean someone at war with you then they should be able to smite it with a regular unit (ofc this might result in a loss of their own pressure as a result , or is It ?)

if by *an enemy* you mean someone at war with you then they should be able to smite it with a regular unit (ofc this might result in a loss of their own pressure as a result , or is It ?)
They cannot condemn heresy if the missionary is from the religion they founded. They also cannot do religious combat unless maybe they bought an apostle in a city that was converted away from their religion.

If they were completely converted away from the religion they founded then I suppose they could condemn heresy on a missionary from their founded religion but in that case I think you’d be trying to help them get back their founded religion.

Reactions: PiR
civ 6 is so bad the league players of 20 years had to create mods to make the game playable .This game is like playing chess but with a white wizard on the board. laughable.
Bring back sid for the next iteration because the current team havent a clue how to make a 4x strat game. They lost the plot with giant death robots and vampire,s.

Tend to agree with you here. I'm moving on to HumanKind and OldWorld to get something of a "Civ" experience again. Soren Johnson who designed Civ IV made OldWorld and I'm finding it scratches the Civ itch well. No interest in death robots and zombies - I prefer a working AI instead.

I like Civ 6 probably even more than I liked Civ 4. I consider Civ 5 barely playable.

But that said you won't get Civ 4 experience here not even close. Neither the mechanics nor the spirit of the game is what it used to be. Now it's a cartoonish silly game that's why I play with vampires on.

Like others already said if you want a civ that's civ not in name only, look elsewhere. Old World is absolutely great game and keeps some mechanics from Civ 4 (like cottages), but it won't span entire history, it's well old world.

I like Civ 6 probably even more than I liked Civ 4. I consider Civ 5 barely playable.

But that said you won't get Civ 4 experience here not even close. Neither the mechanics nor the spirit of the game is what it used to be. Now it's a cartoonish silly game that's why I play with vampires on.

Like others already said if you want a civ that's civ not in name only, look elsewhere. Old World is absolutely great game and keeps some mechanics from Civ 4 (like cottages), but it won't span entire history, it's well old world.

Civ6 feels like a direct follow up to Civ4, even in terms of graphics. Civ 4 had both cartoonish graphics and leaders.

In any case there's a professional looking mod made by a dev which makes the graphics look more like Civ 5.

I don't understand this "not even close" notion only to then suggest a game which is both different mechanically and which does not offer the "through the ages" experience of Civilization. :think:

Civ6 feels like a direct follow up to Civ4, even in terms of graphics. Civ 4 had both cartoonish graphics and leaders.
Yep. I think there's a lot of nostalgia involved when people act like Civ5 isn't the odd one out of the franchise.

In any case there's a professional looking mod made by a dev which makes the graphics look more like Civ 5.

I don't understand this "not even close" notion only to then suggest a game which is both different mechanically and which does not offer the "through the ages" experience of Civilization. :think:

What? Civ4 is nothing like 6

The progression Civ3 -> Civ4 -> Civ6 follows clear trends from more abstract empire management to more micromanagement and special actions. Otherwise, the games are not that closely related. Districts, 1UPT and the extreme obstacles against building large cities make Civ6 quite different.

Civ5 seems to be well liked and is thus probably a decent strategy game but it's really not a Civ game at all. Four cities are not an Empire, seven cities are also not an Empire.

Civ5 definitely seems to be a litmus test. The players who love it, really love it. The players who don't, really don't... And the players who don't love it generally seem to also like Civ6.

I am not entirely sure what Civ5 is a litmus test of exactly... Tall vs wide gameplay? Graphical Realism vs cartoonishness? Since this is the internet I'm sure someone will respond with some way to disparage people who prefer one over the other. But both games are pretty different in how you need to approach them, so even though I clearly fall on one side of the fence, I can see why players who enjoy a different style of game would prefer Civ 5...

What? Civ4 is nothing like 6

I don't see the point of that statement or why people are so keen on making use of constant exaggeration. Fifa 21 is nothing like Civ 6. I see Civ 6 as a follow up to Civ 4 because it goes back to the tongue in cheek approach to communication and leaders, and because it goes back to a focus on empire building and expansion, whereas Civ 5 was more visually realistic and sombre and favoured a more turtlish playstyle in general.

Graphically both games are more consistent. They tend to exaggerate features in regards to leaders:

Example A:
upload_2021-8-19_17-24-55.png
upload_2021-8-19_17-25-32.png
upload_2021-8-19_17-26-18.png

Example B:
upload_2021-8-19_17-27-58.png
upload_2021-8-19_17-28-19.png
upload_2021-8-19_17-29-8.png

Example C:
upload_2021-8-19_17-37-2.png
upload_2021-8-19_17-39-33.png
upload_2021-8-19_17-40-4.png

---

As for gameplay, in my opinion Civ 6 improves on most systems available in Civ 4 when considered individually, though they can sometimes feel disjointed. The best thing about Civ 4 is that it was more challenging, thanks to the minimal amount of tactical combat, making it much easier for the AI to handle. However, stacks of units are not fun.

Disclaimer: I enjoyed all three games, despite each game's flaws. I'm not interested in playing defender of the faith to any of them. I just thought it was odd the suggestion that Civ 6 is not even close to Civ 4 (especially in regards to the graphics), followed by the suggestion to play Old World, a game which is both graphically and mechanically more distinct.

Top Bottom