1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking at Civ for my dissertation, can you help?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Meryt Amun, Apr 2, 2012.

1. wannabewarlord

wannabewarlord Prince

Done. I like surveys :)

2. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

It's a theory of mine (never tested but, I think, self-evident, and a lot of gamers would agree) that players of strategy games are more likely to be history geeks than players of any other type of video game. My dad introduced me to the Civ franchise precisely because I was a history geek, and my interest in cultures and civilisations (including Egypt, among others) was what got me into things like Age of Empires, Age of Mythology and the Total War series as well. The industry is obviously aware of this (that, and many of them I'm sure are history geeks as well) and understands the importance of accuracy.

Then again, as I mentioned in my feedback on the questionnaire, you have things like Ramesses in Civ speaking Arabic :crazyeye:

3. The_Quasar

The_Quasar King

done... good survey... good luck :)

4. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Intriguing survey. I don't think that my general interest in history has necessarily been sparked by the Civ series, so much as my general interest in history has sparked an interest in the Civ series.

5. durian

durian Chieftain

Done. I think an interest in history led to an interest in Civ rather than the other way around. But, I suspect that my interest in Civ actually reinforced my interest in history.

6. dot

dot crossing the i's

Done. Will you leave a note when your paper is out? Or even better -- Share a copy?

7. spicytimothy

spicytimothy Warlord

Donezo. Hope you get enough samples from this forum!

8. guygodbois

guygodbois critically acclaimed

To Mr Meryt Amun
    A bit of a curiosity, this survey of yours. Anyway, glad to be of assistance, hope Civilization III is not eating too much of your dissertation time.
    One of the most marvellous cultures and organized societies that graced this "otherwise bleak and dreary world".
    ...when The Sun was The God. In a way it still is.
    Best wishes

9. Meryt Amun

Meryt Amun Chieftain

Hi - thanks and definitely yes! I'm working on my draft now so when it's all done I'll repost you guys :) My dissertation supervisor said I might get a publication out of it, so no pressure there haha!

10. Meryt Amun

Meryt Amun Chieftain

Thank you, and indeed yes - it can be all too tempting to just play the game...have to think of it as like taking notes from a book. Though it's all the write up now...
    And yes, it really is a fascinating culture and it's surprising how little some things have changed.

11. Meryt Amun

Meryt Amun Chieftain

Thanks, it's been a amazing response!

12. chazzycat

chazzycat Deity

done - good luck on your research. hopefully you are making the argument that video games are not evil :)

13. pxpdoo

pxpdoo Ninja Burger Fry Cook

Done. And love the concept; Video Games and Message Boards and Online Surveys weren't really an option when I was in skool... :crazyeye:

14. iconocast

iconocast Prince

they didnt have history classes at my school. so the amoutn of info i have learnet form civ v alone has been very very interesting. yes i have fun while learning! insanity

-ignore my spelling i am trying to multitask

15. Sethyboy0

Sethyboy0 Chieftain

I had a sort of "OH YEAH" moment when I saw that I had played all the games you had listed. :D

Best of luck to you on your dissertation. Also make sure you update the post saying the last 3 or so questions are blank, as I almost quit the page thinking there was something wrong.

16. dot

dot crossing the i's

So, what has become of this? Could you give us some update, Meryt Amun? Thanks!

17. NewOne

NewOne Chieftain

Just finished it. Great questions.

Age of Mythology actually did help get me interested in Egyptian mythology (as well as the others), mainly because the campaigns for that game were so fun.

I think most games are accurate (especially the Civilopedia pages), while others are horrible with accuracy, such as Egypt from Rome: Total War with units which look like they came out of a movie like The Mummy. Of course, I'm not sure if that game even really counts for this question, because R:TW wasn't really trying to be accurate at all.

18. mintcandy

mintcandy King

Just did the survey.

It's a pity that Ancient Egypt isn't represented on console games as much as China, Japan, or Rome is.

I know I'd play an Egyptian centric empire management video game, if it were made by KOEI. Assuming it wasn't a Dynasty Warriors clone, ha.

19. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

^
    Pharaoh Warriors
    Romance of the Old Kingdom
    New Kingdom Horizons
    Ahmose's Ambition
    E.T.O Egyptian Theatre of Operations

20. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Emperor

Done! I've tried to be as honest as possible and that has meant the historian in me has popped into your questionnaire. I encourage you to put my opinions down. :lol: